Can you help me get some answers?

Hi Everyone

I’m trying to get some answers on this issue. I have written to the DVLA but while waiting for their reply, I was wondering what you guys might think.

On the issue of someone having suffered a heart attack…have you ever heard of anyone who couldn’t pass the exercise test (to get relicensed) but was allowed to drive on the basis of other tests? (like an echocardiogram)

Happy to talk to anyone privately, I just don’t want to put all the details on a public forum. Feel free to ask anything though, but I’m really wondering if anyone knows whether this happens?

Thanks, I appreciate your time :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear of your fathers plight, but dealing with dvla and THEIR medical side of it, you’ll be banging your head against a brick wall! Hope he makes a speedy recovery, and he should be very glad he has a daughter who CARES! :sunglasses:

Or if anyone can direct me to a thread where this has been discussed… :cry:

Hi DD.
I think for HGV licence you need to be able to pass the walking/running machine test but you can drive cars or maybe even transits. You might find more discussions if you go into the Forums section then Out of Hours then Health & Family.
Hope this helps.

I recall 2 Drivers I worked with had their LGV Licence revoked until such time they met the “tread mill” requirements,but where still able to drive their cars

Having come off the road some years ago with angina , I had stents fitted to help the problem but could not pass the treadmill test , so I sent the license to Swansea and got back my car and 7.5 ton license .

rigsby:
Having come off the road some years ago with angina , I had stents fitted to help the problem but could not pass the treadmill test , so I sent the license to Swansea and got back my car and 7.5 ton license .

seems daft your still allowed your 7.5 ticket but not ur artic a bit like telling a pilot " oh you cant fly 747’s any more but you can still fly F116’s "

I had angioplasty ten years ago. Every other year I go for medical with cardiologist which includes treadmill test. This is paid for by DVLA. It might be worth enquiring about having a test done by a cardiologist for which you pay. My experience with DVLA medical section is that they are very slow but are prepared to discuss things over the phone (subject to patient confidentiality). Try British Heart Foundation. HGV driving can be an entirely sedentary occupation with automatic and power assisted everything although I don’t think DVLA would subscribe to this. Best wishes to you both

My dad had a heart attack 5/6 years ago, suspended licence for 9mths then treadmill which he failed dvla sorted another stress test past all good licence back, Medical every year. The last renewal started July 13 and took to September 14 whilst still aloud to drive as he had a letter explaining that medical checks were going on. It takes for ever and can get you down put keep trying