Heart Attack

Stanfield:
Like wheelnut says I realise this is an old thread but here goes.23rd dec 2009 I had heart attack at work went home and then to A&E for check up.12 hr later after numurous checks and test they confirmed that it was an heart attack,kept me in until new years eve and aloud me to go home.Went back a couple of times in the January and then went in in February for triple bypass op.sent my licence back to dvla who returned it minus LGV groups(they allowed me my car & 7.5 ton groups) did everything that I was told (exercise plus)
allowed to drive my car 6 weeks after op and then in October 2010 went for my treadmill test which was 3 different speeds for maximum 3 mins each = 9 mins altogether last 3mins was very fast pace,past with flying colours and returned to work late October and over the next few months felt better & better.All told I was off work from 23/12/09 to Oct 2010.I feel very lucky because some dont get the chance of an operation like my owd fellow in 1975.

Just read this John, ditto i was the same,in 2003,back to Stillers on the Phillips contract after 9 months and worked till i was 65,i’m still ok after 8 years,Vic.

Hi All
I wonder if anybody could give me some advice as to how long DVLA take to let you know if you can keep your HGV licence after having an heart attack?.

Early december I was driving back to the yard and I had a slight chest pain (a bit like indegestion) decided to go to the docters when I got home,he sent me to A&E they did all the tests etc and said I had suffered a heart attack and kept me in hospital all week.

I notified Dvla when i was home and they sent me all the relevent forms to fill in, plus forms for the hospital to fill in all of which were sent back to Dvla before xmas.

Has anybody else been in this situation and can give me any info?,

To make things worse for me I have received a letter telling me that Stobarts are closing the transport side at Manton Wood where I work,so it looks like
I may be made redundant on top of my health problem.

It looks like my 24years hgv1 driving carear could be over if dvla don’t let me keep my licence,A good start to 2009!! :cry:

It all depends on the individual. A colleague of mine got his licence back after about 18 months but he had to exercise like hell to get it. He did exactly what the doctors advised him to do. He lost weight stopped smoking got fit (a lot fitter than he had ever been before it) and passed his treadmill test with flying colours. You need to speak to your cardiac doctor and explain you need to get your licence back and see how he can help.

malmaz,you have a pm.

Malmaz… when I came back from Canada last year, I had chest pains for about a month before I went to the doctors, she had me straight in, although they said I had not suffered a heart attack, I was kept in and sent to Walsgrave Hospital to have that dye stuff put though my system, sure enough, 1 of my arteries had collapsed, they put a stent in that day. The Consultant said it would not affect my licence, so I sent it off 3 weeks before xmas to renew it, they need to now contact my Doctor and Consultant, in the mean time while my licence is with them, they have given me a letter to say I can still drive. I also passed the tread mill test 2 weeks after the op, I also stopped smoking straight away., What did you Consultant say? Did He/She, say you would be alright to drive.

A driver at Gist had a heart attack on his pushbike cycling home from work. About 6 months later he was back in the saddle.

I hope you keep your licence mate and best wishes for a full recovery.

Thanks for the reply’s & best wishes
Dieseldog6 I went on the treadmill before I was discharged from hospital & passed that ok they also told me that Dvla would reguire me to go on the treadmill for 9 min,which they said i had gone well over that time so hopefully I should pass the 9 min test for dvla.
Dvla have not revoked or asked me to send my licence back yet ,the consultant said to inform dvla,which I did like I said in my first post,I have done that and filled in all the paperwork & sent it back and the hospital has sent their part back.
It looks like I have to wait for Dvla to make up thier minds.
Thanks again for the best wishes & replys

I had my chest pains on a Saturday but didnt want to end up stuck in Bolton ,with my daughter on her own in Oldham.I went to the Doctors after being nagged by girlfriend and daughter.Told my boss who let me do a fifteen hour day then suspended me till I got a letter saying I was fit to work.I was sent by the doc to do the treadmill test it took six weeks to come through.I was lucky although I felt tired easily after the attack I did a lot of hill walking before I cut down on beer though and tried to eat better.It was the longest nine min of my life I rang the doc a week later and they cleared me for work. I didnt inform DVLA as I thought the Doc had done it.So when they cleared me I went back straightaway.

malmaz

I know how you feel about the DVLA!!
I’m still waiting to hear what they have decided regarding my licence.
I suffered a heart attack on July 4th 2008.
I was in hospital for a week and off work fo 9 weeks . In hospital I had an angiogram and the consultant gave me the all clear to return to driving after a period off rest. My doctor has said through out I will be fit to drive.
I informed DVLA by phone when I got home they told me I could keep my licence as I had been signed off for 2 months and they would see what my consultant said and was sent the forms straight away. I returned them as soon as I had filled them in and 6 months later I’m waiting for a reply■■? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: .

At 38 it’s bad enough having a heart attack but the worry of whether the DVLA will let me keep my licence feels just as bad. (at least I still have it!)I could do without the worry but hey ho thank you DVLA!!

It really annoys me that the DVLA seem to have all this power, to me it’s simple, if the doctor and consultant say your ok, that should be the end of it, maybe we should start a pressure group, see a Barrister and really find out weather we could sue for loss of earnings, maybe then they wouldn’t drag there ■■■ so much.

thanks for the replys lads.
I agree that as long as the docters/consultant gives the all clear you should be ok to resume work & not have to wait for dvla,I have not only that to contend with but now also now the worry if I still have a job to go back too on feb 3rd after Stobart telling me they are closing the transport at our depo.

A mate of mine went for his HGV medical and the doc found his blood sugar level was too high, sent him for tests, reported it to the DVLA and they told him if his level did not come down he would lose his right to drive, there does not seem to be a standard format with the DVLA and it should be taken out of their hands, the DVLA can take as long as they like to make a decision and it is wrong!!!

You guys who are waiting for decisions from the DVLA, why don’t you just phone their medical dept & ask how your application/decision is progressing?

Its quite easy really isn’t it? Instead of sitting pondering on it for months on end.

I had 2 heart attacks 2004, I then got bubbled by my doctor and the dvla took my licesnse away. 1 year after my operation in sept 2005, I got my license back on the treadmill 2006. I went back to work Jan 2007 in the office and as a driver. But, I am ■■■■■■ and cannot do the job, so am back at homew on tghe incapacity. The treadmill is one thing, real lifde is another. But it depends on the individual for sure. Good luck, take NO ADVICE on what YOU can do, have a go and see for YOURSELF what YOU can do, the best of luck! :wink:

Driveroneuk:
You guys who are waiting for decisions from the DVLA, why don’t you just phone their medical dept & ask how your application/decision is progressing?

Its quite easy really isn’t it? Instead of sitting pondering on it for months on end.

Ahhh…The voice of a man who evidently hasn’t dealt with these clowns recently… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Because…(and I can tell you this as someone on a licence which has to be renewed yearly, so I have FAR too much experience in dealing with the buggers)…all they will say is “it’s with an assessor” ad infinitum until you want to punch them.

Oh, and they have a permanent backlog as well. Every 12 months my licence expires…every 11 months they fail to send me the forms so i ring up and get them sent manually…every 11 months and 3 weeks they send me a letter saying “We now have your valid application so you can continue driving until we make a decision unless your doctor says otherwise” for insurance purposes…every 12 months they fail to do their stuff in time so I carry on with my covering letter (as above)…then after 15-16 months (so 3-4 months after my licence ran out, an event which predictably occurs every 12 months after they issue it) they eventually get it together and give me a decision and licence. WHICH IS VALID FROM THE DATE OF ISSUE 3-4 MONTHS AFTER THE LAST ONE RAN OUT. So much for 12-monthly renewal, eh? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

It’s just a matter of waiting in most cases, I’m afraid…But if you do need to speak to them (so they can tell you about their backlog…again…) DO NOT use the 0845 number. The direct dial geographic number is 01792 799080. :wink:

Ps. Malmaz, my licence is short-term due to another condition entirely, so don’t panic about that bit. It’s the essence of what it’s like dealing with the Drivers’ Medical Group I was trying to illustrate above! :wink:

Lucy:

Driveroneuk:

Ahhh…The voice of a man who evidently hasn’t dealt with these clowns recently… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Because…(and I can tell you this as someone on a licence which has to be renewed yearly, so I have FAR too much experience in dealing with the buggers)…all they will say is “it’s with an assessor” ad infinitum until you want to punch them.

Oh, and they have a permanent backlog as well. Every 12 months my licence expires…every 11 months they fail to send me the forms so i ring up and get them sent manually…every 11 months and 3 weeks they send me a letter saying “We now have your valid application so you can continue driving until we make a decision unless your doctor says otherwise” for insurance purposes…every 12 months they fail to do their stuff in time so I carry on with my covering letter (as above)…then after 15-16 months (so 3-4 months after my licence ran out, an event which predictably occurs every 12 months after they issue it) they eventually get it together and give me a decision and licence. WHICH IS VALID FROM THE DATE OF ISSUE 3-4 MONTHS AFTER THE LAST ONE RAN OUT. So much for 12-monthly renewal, eh? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

It’s just a matter of waiting in most cases, I’m afraid…But if you do need to speak to them (so they can tell you about their backlog…again…) DO NOT use the 0845 number. The direct dial geographic number is 01792 799080. :wink:

Ps. Malmaz, my licence is short-term due to another condition entirely, so don’t panic about that bit. It’s the essence of what it’s like dealing with the Drivers’ Medical Group I was trying to illustrate above! :wink:

well said lucy…someone who knows the ■■■■■ involved

Malmaz,

Just thought I’d let you know that the DVLA sent me a letter today and they now require me to take an exercise ECG with the consultant that was dealing with me in hospital.

So I had the heart attack on July 4th 2008 and get a letter rquiring me to take an exercise ECG to see if I’m fit enough to drive on 13th January 2009.

Good job theres no Rush!! :unamused: :open_mouth: :smiley:

Lucy:

Driveroneuk:

Can only reiterate what Lucy has said. I was on an annual renewal and when it came up I went to the doctor at 11 months got the letter back saying I could still drive as they had my application 2 weeks before expiry. It was a (zb) nightmare trying to deal with the Canadian car hire company, Toronto police and the DVLA to fax my details to the car hire office in advance to get the pre booked hire car 2 weeks after the licence was due for renewal, and it was my vocational license that needed renewal not the car license.

Eventually took 4 months though they did remove the need to renew annualy so a good result in the end even if a torturous route to achieve it.

hya ma friend i was diagnosed with angina back in oct had op in nov had 2 stents put in but had heart attack during the op i always had my licence dvla did not suspend it they just told me not to drive which i did they book you in for a treadmill test i had mine at start of april cardiologist said i passed it ok so i phoned dvla who said i could drive as my licence was not under suspension so i went back to work 3days later had ok from dvla by post bout 4wks later they are slow but you should be the same if they dont take it of you then your cardiologist is the guy who gives you the ok dvla wont argue with him hope this helps pal good luck

huggy:
hya ma friend i was diagnosed with angina back in oct had op in nov had 2 stents put in but had heart attack during the op i always had my licence dvla did not suspend it they just told me not to drive which i did they book you in for a treadmill test i had mine at start of april cardiologist said i passed it ok so i phoned dvla who said i could drive as my licence was not under suspension so i went back to work 3days later had ok from dvla by post bout 4wks later they are slow but you should be the same if they dont take it of you then your cardiologist is the guy who gives you the ok dvla wont argue with him hope this helps pal good luck

I realise this is an old thread but heart attacks wait for no man or woman.

This is an interesting thread someone did earlier which mentions the dreaded treadmill or stress test.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69405&p=875579&hilit=treadmill#p875212