Heart attack

My worst nightmare came true on fri morning, Took a heart attack and just home from hospital tonight. I need to phone my car insurance and license people tomorrow.
Doc says I cant legally drive car for 28 days from date of attack.
My job will no doubt be lost
I believe they’ll suspend my lorry license and I will need to do a medical which includes a 9 min treadmill
anyone been here before

Hello my friend hope you are feeling better . I to had a heart attack and had 2 stents fitted back in 2011 when I was 49 years old. I informed dvla who did not suspend my licence they told me not to drive until instructed otherwise if I did they said they would remove my hgv indefinetly.I spent 4 months recuperating then was told by doc to contact dvla to arrange treadmill I passed this and was back driving shortly after no need to wait on licence return . I know it is a worry about money but think about it your still here that is whats most important. I NOW HAVE TO REPEAT MY TREADMILL EVERY 3 YEARS TO KEEP MY LICENCE NOT THE USUAL 5 . I had to give up my job due to the daft hours involved and now work part time still driving trucks . Be strong and positive and look forward to the day when you again sit back in the driving seat of a truck .Its a great feeling you will get another chance many don’t . Goodluck mate remember POSITIVE

Remember your health is more important than anything

My dad had a heart attack many years ago resulting in his heart stopping for 8.5 min he was not allowed to drive for 3 mth he was then offered a course by the NHS ( rehab I think ) after that he could drive np no loss of licence he did apply for a blue badge was refused the 1st time but then on appeal was given it as well as other benefits mind this was back in 1994

Hello huggy, thank you for your words of wisdom, im 51 and recovering well but what a change to lifestyle. We all take too much for granted, never thought it would happen to me. I’ll keep you posted huggy as to how things go and once again THANK YOU for sharing your experience.

huggy:
Hello my friend hope you are feeling better . I to had a heart attack and had 2 stents fitted back in 2011 when I was 49 years old. I informed dvla who did not suspend my licence they told me not to drive until instructed otherwise if I did they said they would remove my hgv indefinetly.I spent 4 months recuperating then was told by doc to contact dvla to arrange treadmill I passed this and was back driving shortly after no need to wait on licence return . I know it is a worry about money but think about it your still here that is whats most important. I NOW HAVE TO REPEAT MY TREADMILL EVERY 3 YEARS TO KEEP MY LICENCE NOT THE USUAL 5 . I had to give up my job due to the daft hours involved and now work part time still driving trucks . Be strong and positive and look forward to the day when you again sit back in the driving seat of a truck .Its a great feeling you will get another chance many don’t . Goodluck mate remember POSITIVE

Hi animal, thank you for your input and your absolutely right your health is the most important issue, I hope to make a full recovery and get back to work but its a long road ahead.

animal:
Remember your health is more important than anything

My dad had a heart attack many years ago resulting in his heart stopping for 8.5 min he was not allowed to drive for 3 mth he was then offered a course by the NHS ( rehab I think ) after that he could drive np no loss of licence he did apply for a blue badge was refused the 1st time but then on appeal was given it as well as other benefits mind this was back in 1994

I’m with the others, you’re still here and that is all that matters :wink:
It is a ball ache not having your licence, especially for us lot when it is your livelyhood aswell. I lost mine last May and still fighting the dvla medical board but they really have dug their heels in with my case :imp:
But everyday that i still wake up, i’m grateful, it could have been very different. Don’t let it beat you or get you down, try and keep positive :wink:

It is a long slow road to recovery but dont rush it

My dad had anther 17 years good quality of life after his but it was cancer that got him age 79 ( which was old for his family )

There is a big change in lifestyle but is worth it

Got a new medical form from the dvla today, it means paying the doc another £95 to fill it in and no guarantee of being able to drive again.

ytre:
Got a new medical form from the dvla today, it means paying the doc another £95 to fill it in and no guarantee of being able to drive again.

read me posts hpoe they my help you any questions will try heip :wink:

Hi Ytre

In July 2012 i had a heart attack whilst working as a class 1 HGV driver , upshot was that i needed 4 stents put in , after a week in hospital i was allowed home. Legally you are obliged to inform DVLA which i believe that you have done. Dont actually send them your existing licence though , keep hold of that because at this stage all descisions are pending.
Spend the next couple of weeks getting your head around what has happened to you , its a major event which is life changing . I know its easy to say but dont worry about work , things will sort them selves out. Spend time with your familly , listen to what they want too , a heart attack will have effects on your loved ones too , they will want to be involved with you now more than ever.

I quit smoking on the day , and went to rehab classes re heart attacks arranged by my local GP, ask yours about them , look at your diet and at your own pace try and get better again and see if you can live a healthier life style.

Then when you or your GP think you are ready take the treadmill test and see if you can get your licence back , but dont get stressed about it , that wont do you any good.

I had my heart attack on July 17 2012 , i quit smoking , lost over 2 stone , took the treadmill test and was back at work driving hgv,s on November 2 2012 on my 52nd birthday. If you are prepared to do the hard work and make the effort then this can be the start of the new you , i am sure that you can. As i type this my 15 month old grand daughter is in the room , if i had carried on as before i would have missed her , look after yourself Ytre it will be worth it in the end.

Good luck

Thanks Tamarman for your support and kind words and your experience, the dvla asked for the medical form to be filled in by doc and my license returned, medical was done today and cost £100, ive posted off both form and license.
I had 1 stent fitted and need to lose a stone. I’ll keep you posted once I hear from them and thanks again for sharing your experience.

got my 9 min treadmill 2 weeks ago and passed ok, license was returned yesterday although it was never suspended, need to do a medical every 3 years now.
As big a shock as the heart attack is to anyone its very important to remain positive and let everything take its course. Easier said than done though.
Thanks to all for your input. :smiley:

Nice one!

That is good news

Thanks newmercman and animal

ytre:
got my 9 min treadmill 2 weeks ago and passed ok, license was returned yesterday although it was never suspended, need to do a medical every 3 years now.
As big a shock as the heart attack is to anyone its very important to remain positive and let everything take its course. Easier said than done though.

well done my friend I am glad to hear you passed the tolerance test ok . just take things easy don’t overdo it . I think it changes our lives I appreciate things and people more than I ever did . enjoy your driving like me you got another chance onwards and upwards mate . take care of yourself .

huggy:

ytre:

well done my friend I am glad to hear you passed the tolerance test ok . just take things easy don’t overdo it . I think it changes our lives I appreciate things and people more than I ever did . enjoy your driving like me you got another chance onwards and upwards mate . take care of yourself .

thanks huggy, much appreciated. Take care