Gutted

:cry: Failed my Class C Thursday (1st attempt). Gutted for myself, my excellent training school and instructor and my dwindling bank balance. I’m an old newbie (sorry for pathetic attempt at an oxymoronic joke). I was just ■■■■ and yet I have driven all over the world had a clean car licence for 32 years and I screw up a relatively simple gear box. I approach lights and other obstacles badly, often with my foot on the clutch and in the wrong gear. The wagon is fabulous (an Iveco Eurocargo, 12 ton I think and nearly brand new). My strong point, reversing, I really screwed up. Normally, I get them spot on. The probs were : I flattened the first flag on the reverse exercise and received a serious. Later I got four minors for gears which obviously results in a serious. A serious for not moving off safely and 2 minors for not using mirrors correctly when changing direction. I know I have the potential to operate this machine safely, professionally and competently. I’m lacking confidence at the moment. I hope I get my photo on the company’s website next time. Incidentally, the examiner was ace. He was cool and relaxed. Whilst I was losing my forehead confidence. :frowning:

Sorry to here you failed but not the end of the world

As you know what you have done wrong so will stand in good stead for next time

Hope you can re book & take asap as it may be of some help but try to take an hr or so before hand as this could also help just try to stay focused & relax yep I know it can be hard as not that long ago I done mine & I am of the older type ( but you should know never ask a lady her age :laughing: )

Better luck next time

Which provider did you use :question: & would you recommend them :question:

animal:
Which provider did you use :question: & would you recommend them :question:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=73119&p=938860#p938860

Cheers Animal. Peter Smythe Transport Training is my school - as Rog has linked to you for a bit of background on me. I did research and this company seemed to be coming out on top for many reasons. I even travel from Leeds but stay in digs in the area. Although I have very limited knowledge of other training providers I would recommend them. They’re very professional, yet there is a personal/informal touch too.Peter is approachable and knows his stuff. My instructor is excellent even though I think on occasions I do test his patience. I just need a bit more experience as my 51 year old brain has lost a few. However, I know it’s not beyond my ken. Just need to play about with the gears a bit more and learn to approach traffic lights, junctions etc with a bit more control and confidence.

I also think my total unfamiliarity of the area didn’t help. But I’m now dredging for excuses. So then animal, how old are you? :laughing:

Fairsky:
I also think my total unfamiliarity of the area didn’t help. But I’m now dredging for excuses

Double edged sword - too familiar by car or don’t know road layouts at all

What the DSA say is that all candidates should be able to drive safely and competently on test in any area at any time of day
Makes sense - after all, that is what they could be doing the day after the test !!

Can’t argue with that Rog. Very true. But is it me or is there rather a lot of signage, very short cycling lanes and other such things around there? I’m sure some of it’s a bit off putting. High up in my lorry and stood at the lights I looked down and actually saw a young woman on the internet between light changes. Now I admire the ability to multi-task but really that should be clamped down on.

Fairsky:
I looked down and actually saw a young woman on the internet between light changes. Now I admire the ability to multi-task but really that should be clamped down on.

I have one question - was it actually UNSAFE at the time?

Fairsky:
I also think my total unfamiliarity of the area didn’t help. But I’m now dredging for excuses. So then animal, how old are you? :laughing:

Like I said never ask a woman her age :laughing: :laughing: 48

The unfamiliarity with the area can be of an advantage or disadvantage depends which way you look at it
the advantages it wont then fas you when you go to unfamiliar places although the disadvantage is that you are learning a new skill in an unfamiliar place

Try not to drive the lorry like your car as it does act totally different the gears are different as is the breaking you have to do a lot more forward planning

Just think of the outside examiner that sometimes comes here to Newcastle test centre as we have “No Car Lanes” he did have to do a U turn on a candidate due to the fact they dont have them & he was treating them as bus lanes

You’re not kidding animal about the forward planning. Bloody vital. Also the decision making aspect seems quite important. I think in life generally I’ve not been big on planning and err, decision making. Hence, here I am with a load of useless academic qualifications and training to be a truck driver at 51. Still, I’ve done it my way. Have a good weekend everyone. . . and that ‘animal’ who is actually a spring chicken. Sorry, I’ll get me coat. :unamused:

ROG:

Fairsky:
I looked down and actually saw a young woman on the internet between light changes. Now I admire the ability to multi-task but really that should be clamped down on.

Sorry Rog didn’t see your question. No technically it wasn’t UNSAFE at the time. I understand where you’re coming from it just seemed an inappropriate place to be messing about with an Iphone, or whatever their called.

Hello fairsky
Sorry to hear it was a fail mate but better luck next time i failed my CE on the 23 july got my re-test on the 20th sept :open_mouth: im sure you have a good chance of a pass this time with Peter .
And i know what you mean by not a failiar area i now Hate Atherton its full of buss lanes and mini roundabouts last fail i drove in a buss lane … then messed up on a Roundabout . 2 seriouse … Trained all week in the afternoon then got an 830am test I missed the buss lane sign and took the wronge lane on a roundabout that I had only ever been on once before … the examiner did say take the road a6 chorley its marked on sign on the road . but i only got a few minors one on taking a shunt on reverse (I was told by my instructor that it isnt a minor to take a shunt ,) :angry: and a couple on mirrors .
At least YOU have a good trainer so i think next time will be a pass for you … :laughing:

Fairsky:

ROG:

Fairsky:

Sorry Rog didn’t see your question. No technically it wasn’t UNSAFE at the time. I understand where you’re coming from it just seemed an inappropriate place to be messing about with an Iphone, or whatever their called.

I am all for keeping within the law but tend to put safety first and adding a bit of common sense

the stupid mobile phone law is very uncommonsense (new word) - illegal to use when sitting still with handbrake on but not illegal to use if handsfree and driving !!!

Hey Fairsky. I feel for you my friend. Although this feels like a big setback now you just managed to have a rubbish day at the wrong time. Don’t let this discourage you!

What’s all the more galling is that you’re probably making a conscious career change and want to get it right first time and get on with it. I’m guessing this but reckon I’m not far wide of the mark; you and I are the same age and I’ve just managed to get through the C and C+E in the last month. I’m sick of flying a desk and decided to get on with some proper work.

FFS don’t be discouraged - a clean licence for 33 years suggests that you can be a safe driver. In a car that is. As the others said, you can’t drive a truck like you would a car. For me the biggest lesson was to SLOW down well ahead of when you normally would. This will give you thinking time and as a result, for me at least, I had time to work out the correct gear to be in and plan the proper line around a junction or roundabout. Same goes for reversing. Slow and easy.

So stick with it!!

Laz

Appreciate your comments and advice Yambol and Lazlo. As you said Lazlo I wanted to get it right first time and I’ve taken a big risk in leaving my previous job. I do believe I’m a safe car driver and I’m determined to be the same as a qualified truck driver. Hearing that you’ve passed the C+E is encouraging. We shouldn’t be written off just because we’re over 50 so hearing your story has made me feel more positive. I will stick with it but have no plans to do the C+E.
I think I agree with you there Rog the mobile law is irrational or, to use your new word uncommonsensical. :slight_smile:

But remember it is not a “Russian” gearbox as 1 of my instructors said to me when doing my Cat C

Why you not going for CE :question: soz just a women thing to ask

I have had a clean licence for 30+ years & that does include riding bikes in my younger days :sunglasses:

Good luck sure you will make it just try to relax & think ahead slow down

Thanks animal. Confidence does take a knock because I was born in the saddle as they say. As a kid aged 10 I lived in Australia and my old man used to allow me to drive his old Standard Vanguard out in the bush. Like you I’ve rode motorcycles (Honda Super Dream 400), Ford Cargo’s 7.5, held a clean car licence for 32 years. All without a scratch (touching balding pate). I will give it everything next time. YAMBOL57. Good luck man on the 20th. I’ll be having a lesson that afternoon so I won’t be thinking about you. . . until later that is. :slight_smile: