Gregory???

Been offered a start with Gregory seems friendly, to load out of Coca Cola at Wakefield down the road and then whatever comes; comes…

He was vague about rates and the concept of paying 25 % of earnings seems insane…

Any feedback appreciated as I’m on for Maritime now and don’t need to pull off one mediocre job for a worse one!

Also had a chat with UKI at Skelmersdale… he seemed way too keen to me… might be me?? anybody know the full tale please let me know.

Thanks Muchly :question: :question: :question:

I looked into Gregory’s and agree that the 24% trailer hire put me right off.
I have also just packed in with Maritime, and just want to make sure your aware that when you finish up with them, their payment terms change to 8 weeks, not the 4 you have to wait at present! Be carefull, they do stick to it, I have found this out to my disgust.
The best way to quit, is to tell them your going on holiday for 2-3 weeks, then just don’t go back, the payments still keep coming until they realise, but by then its too late for them to do anything nasty.

Tramper:
I have also just packed in with Maritime

Who are you running for now then?

Paul

I pulled for Greg’s tramping out of North Tawton when I first started up for a while. Most of the work is fairly easy with the milk link work being an example. The only thing about pulling from down there is the roads are VERY tight and in the winter you will be bricking it.

If you do go on for them, tell them you won’t be pulling multi drop loads of Timber from Finn Forest as the reason I left was they tried to give me 10 drops of loose timber to deliver round Devon.

Greg’s are a decent, moral company and at least you know you will always get paid. I would say if you’re starting from Wakefield you probly won’t have to fanny about round Tawton too much. I bet Coke is a doddle.

They never gave the subbies long distance work i.e. to Scotland as they do all that themselves.

The rates were ok, not great, but as usual you won’t get rich. I would recommend them ahead of a lot of other companies along with maybe Stobart’s for being a safe bet.

I’m the type that if someone get’s on my nerves, I just leave rather than have a chat about it which might have rectified the situation.

repton:
Who are you running for now then?

Several people, on a “whatver comes along” basis. Theres more money to be had that way, it just takes a bit more effort to set up and keep on top of. I only ever went to Maritime as a stop gap, but became lazy and stayed there 3 years! I’ve now woken up and smelt the coffee so to say, the coments made by Mr John Williams in Commercial motor sort of spurred me into action.

Thanks for the tips on Gregs. chaps.
I’ve been with Maritime over 12 months and again it was meant to be a stopgap after the loss of a decent account, but complacency creeps in, the only way to keep a decent margin over costs I’ve found is to refuse to go ‘down the road’ as rates from freightliner on locals are far superior…still cack but far superior!!

The urge to stay on locals has caused friction but stick to your guns and you’ll win.
Somedays it’s 3 jobs a day but it’s dead quiet for the time of year so God knows what to expect in the ‘quiet’ period after Christmas.

just havin a go myself at this anything anywhere job as my regular work has gone very quiet indeed, got to say i’m suprissed at just how much work is available, some at ridiculously low rates but also the odd good earner to cherry pick, yes you need your own trailer and your putting a bit more effort into the job in terms of sitting on the phone to find a decent load but it might turn out the way to go, we will see.

paul b:
just havin a go myself at this anything anywhere job

Good luck to you both on that one then.

Paul

repton:

paul b:
just havin a go myself at this anything anywhere job

Good luck to you both on that one then.

Paul

Me anarl :laughing:

madders:
Been offered a start with Gregory seems friendly, to load out of Coca Cola at Wakefield down the road and then whatever comes; comes…

He was vague about rates and the concept of paying 25 % of earnings seems insane…

Any feedback appreciated as I’m on for Maritime now and don’t need to pull off one mediocre job for a worse one!

Also had a chat with UKI at Skelmersdale… he seemed way too keen to me… might be me?? anybody know the full tale please let me know.

Thanks Muchly :question: :question: :question:

Plenty of work out of uki at skem my friend both in the uk and over the water.he sounds keen because he is, there on the ball with the work my friend.

Silver_Surfer:
I pulled for Greg’s tramping out of North Tawton when I first started up for a while. Most of the work is fairly easy with the milk link work being an example. The only thing about pulling from down there is the roads are VERY tight and in the winter you will be bricking it.

If you do go on for them, tell them you won’t be pulling multi drop loads of Timber from Finn Forest as the reason I left was they tried to give me 10 drops of loose timber to deliver round Devon.

Greg’s are a decent, moral company and at least you know you will always get paid. I would say if you’re starting from Wakefield you probly won’t have to fanny about round Tawton too much. I bet Coke is a doddle.

They never gave the subbies long distance work i.e. to Scotland as they do all that themselves.

The rates were ok, not great, but as usual you won’t get rich. I would recommend them ahead of a lot of other companies along with maybe Stobart’s for being a safe bet.

I’m the type that if someone get’s on my nerves, I just leave rather than have a chat about it which might have rectified the situation.

Pm sent

Denis F:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: …I was bored :unamused: :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:
:grimacing:

I think he means they take 25% of the rates they charge the customer and give you the rest, which is fine if the rates are great in the first place. The trailer hire is going to be £100 per week or something like that, I can’t even remember if they charged trailer hire when I was on for them. Bottom line is they are better than average to go on for traction and at least you know you will be paid which let’s face it is a boon in these times. You’re always going to be better off finding your own direct work though but at least it isn’t containers…

Silver_Surfer:
I think he means they take 25% of the rates they charge the customer and give you the rest, which is fine if the rates are great in the first place. The trailer hire is going to be £100 per week or something like that, I can’t even remember if they charged trailer hire when I was on for them. Bottom line is they are better than average to go on for traction and at least you know you will be paid which let’s face it is a boon in these times. You’re always going to be better off finding your own direct work though but at least it isn’t containers…

Cheers mate, i was just shocked with what i thought was 25% trailer higher :unamused: :laughing: