Greetings to you all and gissa job!

Hello to you all. This is my first post - even though I have to admit to spending considerable amounts of time reading all the posts on these forums - very interesting stuff indeed!

I would be grateful to learn if any of you are aware of any employers in the Warrington area who will take on newly qualified Class-1 drivers as I have just received my licence. I also have an ADR certificate. I am particularly interested in night trunking work. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

By the way I have noticed on a few posts that several of you guys have expressed doubts about upgrading a licence due to age. I passed my Class-1 just before Xmas and I am 53 this year. I passed my Class-2 a year ago - first time but I found it very tough. I failed the Class-1 3 times on nerves - and reversing!! Fact is that IT IS harder to learn new tricks as you get older but it’s not impossible! Just thought I’d throw that one in - maybe it will make those of you with doubts feel a bit more positive.

If an old dog like me can do it (eventually!!) then you have no worries.

Cheers

Tom

Hi Tom and congratulations on your success :smiley: :smiley: There are a few distribution centres in the Warrington area, Asda and Matalan are but 2. Not sure of their requirements but they would be worth popping in to see them. After all they can only say no.
Good luck

Thanks for that Pecall - I’ll certainly check them out.

Tom

congrats on the class 1 …im sure you will be snapped up as you have experience behind you…

Thanks for that goofball - beginning to realise now that this so called “driver shortage” is really a myth!

Tom

well done tom, hope you get a start somewhere. try asda as mentioned they like to take on the more experiance people and at the young age of 53 then i’m sure you could teach them a few things.has united freight distribution not got a place down in warrington, pay ain’t that good but could be a start.good luck :wink:

Kitkat - thanks for your good wishes - Asda is certainly one of the likely people I will be trying. I will also have to look for this United Freight you mention.

Cheers

Tom

hi tom

you have also got safeways down there but i think that safeways take on from warehouse to wheels

worth checking out though

jon

You can try Irlams mate on the Chelford number I know there looking for drivers based in Warrington. Not sure of the name of the yard they run out of in Warrington but I know its stuff like Pot Noodles and crisps that the move from there. Rate of pay is £8 an hour on nights but you ave t stand 45 minutes. And I know for a fact that they take newbies on as I had only driven a truck a few times last year before they took me on. The wagons are new and clean and the work is clean too. Don’t know too much about what its like to work for over ta side f peninnes though

Thanks Irlamsdriver - now that you mention it I have seen quite a few Irlam trucks around Warrington. Will certainly check it out.

Cheers

Tom

congrats tom

I heard that royal mail are taking on in west brook just round the corner from asda

fozzie:
congrats tom

I heard that royal mail are taking on in west brook just round the corner from asda

Welcome to TruckNet Fozzie

ps…you did notice that the post you replied to was posted January 18th 2004

:wink: :laughing: :open_mouth:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:
Welcome to Tnet Fozzie! :sunglasses:

“royal mail” is a very clean armchair job… if ya like that kinda thing

If your after night trunking and can get to Irlam, Parceline may have some vacancies (they are training warehouse staff to drive at the moment so I guess there must be some?)

I do some part time work for Interlink Express and parceline (Geopost) do our night trunk upto Birmingham! They have 30+ motors running out of there Irlam depot so give 'em a try!

I can get you a number if you need one but you can get it off 118 if you can’t wait!

Just like to welcome you to TruckNetUK Tom, welcome to the mad house :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

And congratulations on your successes mate… Enjoy them… :wink: