greetings one and all

only just found this site and would like to say congrats to all for the info in it.

passed my c+e at 1200 on 12/12/07 a month after passing my c, both with Boston and south Holland training in Bicker nr Boston Lincs, a company which from my experience i can recomend.

I did the usual and went round all the local transport companies asking for a job and found one which offered me a job driving class C and would then put me up to a Cat C+E job after prooving myself and when one came up. that company was treasure transport in grantham and they kept their word and took on this newbie and i have just finished my second week of driving big wheels being tankers of milk or beer to and from dairies and breweries, and boy do those “live” loads move around.

just to say really “after reading of some newbie problems finding jobs” that there are still companies out there who will take us on

by the way a few of the other drivers there have mentioned unions, my work is not a closed shop but it has got me thinking, is it worth being in one? anybody had any dealings? if so which one?

for anyone else starting on this path, listen to the older drivers there is a lot of wisdom and knowledge to be learnt from them

it depends on the union i was a member of a union and they were useless,
how good is the pay where you work

Welcome mucky :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I’ve been in URTU for over 10 years and they have been very useful on legal issues whether work related or not as they have a free legal team. Had the area union rep come to a meeting once when the manager was trying to pull a fast one. Nice to have that sort of back up if needed.
I am a single member of the union and have just as many rights as those that may be in a closed shop or group. If out of work or ill they charged me 10p a week :exclamation: :smiley:

cheers for welcome, bing new to industry i dont know how the pay compares but it seems fair to me at mo

7/hr for first 40 then 9.85/hr
21.45 per night out (getting 4/wk)
2/day meal allowance
sat n sun more but cant remember and am not on weekends at mo

you say 10p/week when sick etc. what are the usual cost? having never been in one before and what do ya get for it? sorry but in a way i feel a bit daft askin what is probably common info but hey i dont know the answer… :open_mouth:

:smiley: Welcome to the site from another new person. Im glad you found work, its doing my head in at the moment trying to find a job.

Hi mucky, WELCOME :grimacing:

:smiley: Looks like you landed on your feet there mate-- nice one :smiley:

BTW, congrats on the test pass :smiley:

Congratulations mucky on your progress so far.

The best union to join if you’re a driver in the UK is the TGWU (Transport and General Workers Union). There are various types of cover you can take in the eventuality of illness or accidents for example.

The most you would pay - via say direct debit - is approximately £15 a month. However it is like insurance - the more you pay, supposedly the more you get.
You really have to look in to what’s best for you.

If your company “recognises the union” then it’s especially important that you join. The drivers within a company like that, should be electing a shop steward from amongst themselves who speaks on their behalf.

The TGWU in my opinion are the best for our industry, but like all unions in Britain now, their powers - unlike back in the 70’s - are now pretty limited.
But it’s still very important that you join, as the haulage industry in the UK is full of unscrupulous characters, in what is a real dog eat dog industry!
When it comes to a lot of companies - you really are only as good as your last shift!

So sign up now and give yourself some sort of protection.

thanks for the welcome and advice i am looking into what and who is represented well round here

thanks again

mucky:
you say 10p/week when sick etc. what are the usual cost? having never been in one before and what do ya get for it? sorry but in a way i feel a bit daft askin what is probably common info but hey i dont know the answer… :open_mouth:

£11.70 PCM by DD
I get a magazine every 4 months - WOW :laughing:
I have it for security and other legal things that may crop up - apart from that, not much else.

Each to their own on this.

PS no question is daft…

… but some of the answers might be :wink: :laughing: