Govt to scrap mandatory retirement age!

Saw on the BBC news that the Government is PROPOSING to scrap mandatory retirement at 65.

It proposes to give workers the CHOICE of working past 65.

At present, the worker can ASK the employer if they will keep them on but there is no onus on the employer to do so or to give any reason as to why not.

The new PROPOSAL is that if an employer refuses a request to work past 65 then the employer will have to give a very good reason as to why not.

The state & private pensions will not be affected.

Would you want to keep trucking past the age of 65 :question: :question:

ROG:

the way im feeling today i dont want to keep trucking after the age of 36!!!

Giblsa:

I want to retire next week when I hit 27… :laughing:

Giblsa:

ROG:

You got another 15 years till you hit that age mate

Lifes too short, i want to retire early play golf,travel, generally do naff all. i dont want to be knocking my pan in till the day i die. The time i retire anyway the age will probably be 70 :cry: .

Do I want to keep trucking after I am 65…no way!
but, it’s right that i should have the opportunity to do so… health etc permitting.

garnerlives:
You got another 15 years till you hit that age mate

You cheeky [zb]…ive got at least 16 years yet!!!

Anyone under 45 will never see a State Pension anyway, so unless you’ve made you’re own arangements then you will be working till you drop anyway. :imp:

I retired from full time work at 60,and since then I have been driving through an agency for two nights a week for the last 6 years.Two shifts a week,night trunk,is enough to keep it interesting without getting sick of the job altogether.And working through an agency I can be choosy as to what days or shifts suit me.And as it’s the easiest job I’ve ever had…
I have just sent off my licence renewal for another 12 months,see how I feel this time next year.

Well thats bloomin good I’ve got 9yrs to go now they do this. I’m going after 9yrs & thats that.

Who would actually want to work past the age of 65? you would have to be stark raving bonkers. Apart from the fact you would be taking jobs from youngsters just starting out, I dont see the point.

Tiger.

The point is to save the Goverment money in pentions.Not for your benefit.

whisky777:

You WILL still recieve the FULL STATE PENSION if you work after 65. :smiley:

It will not affect any private pension either. :smiley:

ROG:

whisky777:

You WILL still recieve the FULL STATE PENSION if you work after 65. :smiley:

It will not affect any private pension either. :smiley:

It should be noted that this idea is up for review next year and isn’t yet set in stone.

Savings will come from not having to pay benefits other than state pension and the fact that whilst employed people will continue to pay tax ec’t and are still spending and saving, it also leads the way for the forthcoming rise in age before being eligible for state pension.

Personally I see no reason why people should be forced to retire if they’re still fit and healthy enough to carry on and want to carry on working.

tachograph:
Personally I see no reason why people should be forced to retire if they’re still fit and healthy enough to carry on and want to carry on working.

That’s my view as well - give us the CHOICE

There will be more work for fork lifts…helping drivers into cabs…

According to some figures I’ve seen, I won’t be officially able to retire at 65 anyway; there was talk of upping it to 70 on a sliding scale and mine is the first year to go to 66. I’m 49 now BTW.

As for whether I want to; I don’t think I ever had any choice in the matter. Circumstances have dictated that I have moved around a lot, worked for many different companies and consequently haven’t built up a pension pot; however I have rarely been out of work for more than a year, and even that was when I was a single parent so that doesn’t count.

Since I’m doing a job I still enjoy, by and large, I don’t have a particular problem working on. It’s worth remembering that we are healthier and live longer than our grandparents did. That has to be paid for somehow.

hiya, wanted to retire at 25, not winning the pools put paid to that, but certainly wouldn’t want to work after 65, lifes too short, and if like me you’d paid in since age 15 get what you can out of it, surely nobody wants to work if they don’t have to. thanks harry long retired.

gnasty gnome:
there was talk of upping it to 70 on a sliding scale

Yes there was but not heard any more about that recently.
The state pension retirement age for women is to gradually rise from 60 to 65 on a gradual scale but not sure how that is progressing…

Interesting to know if anyone hasa private pension that will do them any good - here is why -

These figures are made up for this example…

Govt means test says you need £100 a week to live on

State pension is £50
No private pension
State gives you £50
TOTAL = £100

State pension is £50
Private pension is £50
State gives you £0 so you save state £50 and are no better off :exclamation: :open_mouth:
TOTAL = £100

State pension is £50
Private pension is £100
State gives you £0 so you are £50 better off but you still save the state £50
TOTAL = £150

Hope you all have a private pension that is BIG enough :wink:

ROG:

tachograph:

That’s my view as well - give us the CHOICE

you need a Job before you can retire Rog :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: