Can your body make it to retire at 67

The state retirement for those of us whom are 50 and under Will now have to wait until they are 67 before they can get their hands on the state pension. Have you considered what those extra years Will do to your finances and what impact working longer Will have on your body. National statistics say people are living longer but in my case most of my family have died by the age of 56, so i must be doing the state a big favour by passing away at that age and saving them paying me a pension. Being an agency driver i am not financially secure and with the country to go through another six more years of pain , you really do have to consider is now the time to get out of agency driving and driving altogether and look for a more secure job. Finances over the next six years look as though they Will be ever more tighter. DCPC Will cost more , your house Will be Lower and your wages to. No im not ready for the extra years are you ?

If you are worried and wish to join an industry that is more secure then I suggest the two markets that will never go away. Births and deaths. These are closely followed by pets, insurance and the big one transport. Oh hold on you are already in that one! :open_mouth:

No need to worry about this.
A survy done a few years ago showed that the average lifespan of a truck driver was ony 63 years

For anyone in their 30s now it’ll almost certainly be 70 by the time we get there.

Paul

Yeh, look on the bright side. You may also die at your family,s average age…56.!!

I’m lucky in the fact that I’ve paid into pensions since I was 18 so I should be able to go at 60 hopefully.

I was still pushing 44t @ 68 with no prob. except I got bored stiff with the speed limiter & jacked in. Motors drive themselves these days.
And you got Archie Paice on here still stripping tilts @ 73.

del949:
No need to worry about this.
A survy done a few years ago showed that the average lifespan of a truck driver was ony 63 years

lifespan or age?

I am already a score years short, knackered at 50, never mind 70 :blush:

harry:
I was still pushing 44t @ 68 with no prob. except I got bored stiff with the speed limiter & jacked in. Motors drive themselves these days.
And you got Archie Paice on here still stripping tilts @ 73.

Know what you mean Harry, not even a gear change now! Mind you some (well a lot of people) still cant work out how they go backwards. Some things will never change hey mate??

[zb] the pension age, [zb] paying into some sham pension.
i’m retiring at 45. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
if i can stay out of jail until then. :laughing:

lifespan or age?

lifespan
Bear in mind that the truck drivers surveyed would all have been in the bracket where truck driving was truck driving, not being a steering wheel attendant.
So I would imagine that as the job has become less physical that wear and tear on the body has reduced leading to an increase of lifespan.
Heart disease is a major issue with drivers health.

On the subject of health, the law states that night shift workers are entitled to free health checks. Can anyone tell me why this is, what is the down side health wise to working nights?

Fergi:
On the subject of health, the law states that night shift workers are entitled to free health checks. Can anyone tell me why this is, what is the down side health wise to working nights?

Mainly sleep related but also vitamin deficiency from not seeing daylight. :laughing:

Getting back to the point, wife’s boss is 67 and I remember seeing an old guy on Hull docks in the mid 90’s who was 80 years old. He was on a flatbed sheeting a load of timber down.

Working nights also raises the risk and is also a contribute to getting cancer related problems.

Known quite a few drivers working well into their 70’s, and there was a guy at Roadways a few years ago, must’ve been 90 easily, owner driver, only did 1 job per day, old S reg (postfix) Merc truck that caused a cloud every morning. Think he only came for the company and to keep him out of the house.

My uncle is 79 years old,an owner driver who is still running regular round trips from the UK to Morocco.This is his life & he said that he has no plans on retiring while he still keeps passing his yearly medical :sunglasses:

The kinda of work i do you could easily reach 70 with no effort as long as you keep reasonably fit, but if i was say a drayman i doubt id make it to 50 never mind 67.

Ive been paying an extra 3% to take early retirement at 60 but early retirement has been bumped to 62. Although im a long way from retirement this is my plan…

Semi retire at 62 and go on a 3 day contract which you can do and still collect your pension then fully retire at 67. Watch the Jeremy Kyle equivalent, do a spot of gardening round of golf settle down for a few pints, come home have some tea and fall alseep watching the news about government cuts. This last year ive got pretty fit and it was all because a guy in work retired then dropped dead 6 month later i thought to myself dont want that happening, i want to bleed the ■■■■■■■ dry i plan to be a serious burden on my pension plan :laughing:

My body will not make it to 67…I will be lucky if it makes it to 55.
My family medical history is not good and with all the will in the world, you can`t delay arthritis.
I am now 46, a couple of years ago I started to notice pain in the joints of toes and fingers, this last year it has been my hips and shoulders.
My fingers are already starting to bend slightly, so I know what I have coming, I have weeks of no pain, then days of excrutiating pain, but you block it out and carry on…Mentally I am very strong.
Had high blood pressure since the age of 18 and it has only got worse, however my chances of heart attack or stroke depend on my doctors :laughing:

My mother was in a wheelchair by the age of 49, so I will probably do a bit better than her…She has had cancer 4 times, 3 major heart attacks, angina, glaucomba…or however you spell it…And ostio-arthritis…And a few other bits and peices wrong that aren`t worth mentioning :laughing:

I am financially secure and semi retired this year…I planned for it, because I learnt from my mother that you only get one life…So I have enjoyed myself so far and will continue to do so until I am no longer able to :sunglasses:

It aint no dress rehearsal, it is the real deal and I bloody love it :smiley:

I know a driver who has been on the sick for months with arthritis in the hands. Apparently his hands lock up kinda like a claw.