As last someone sees sense on retirement

got a letter telling me stobarts are now having a declared retirement age of 65, about time someone took the bull by the horns , youve got 70 yr olds working 6 days a week, 67 year olds doing 80 hrs a week, these blokes should be on some coach trips to scarborough,torquay,sitting on the beach with a hanky on there head, not working 15 hrs a day,eventually retireing into a wooden box :unamused: :unamused: .itll release up loads of jobs for folks who cant get them.
at last a change thats got to be for the good of the employee :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

ady1:
got a letter telling me stobarts are now having a declared retirement age of 65, about time someone took the bull by the horns , youve got 70 yr olds working 6 days a week, 67 year olds doing 80 hrs a week, these blokes should be on some coach trips to scarborough,torquay,sitting on the beach with a hanky on there head, not working 15 hrs a day,eventually retireing into a wooden box :unamused: :unamused: .itll release up loads of jobs for folks who cant get them.
at last a change thats got to be for the good of the employee :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

There have been several coach trips to scarborough with the 70 year olds driving the coach :open_mouth:

ady1:

Are the people over 65 not also employees ?

How is being forced to retire good for the employees who wish to carry on working ?

why should a person be forced to retire if they are fit enough to keep going,its a bit unfair to put people out off work and force then to stay at home,of lie down and die perhaps…
as for coach trips,i wouldnt think the average lorry driver[or ex] would be too happy on a coach tour to scarborough or anywhere else,they have seen enough of these places all their lives.

ady1:

Correct me if I am wrong but is it not illeagle to discriminate on age sure i read somewhere that it was but not if employee agrees :confused: :confused: :confused:

I am a good way of that retirement age before the moaners start :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

high ady1
waite until your 65 and see if you feel the same way.i should think a lot of golden oldies dont feel any different than they did when they were twenty, i know i dont
cheers diesel

Quigg:

ady1:

Correct me if I am wrong but is it not illeagle to discriminate on age sure i read somewhere that it was but not if employee agrees :confused: :confused: :confused:

I am a good way of that retirement age before the moaners start :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

hi mate this may answer your question

direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ … /DG_065115

Can you be forced to retire?

The law on age discrimination is designed to encourage your employer to only retire you if it is appropriate and necessary to do so. However, your employer does have the right to retire you at your normal retirement age (or the default retirement age of 65) as long as they follow the correct procedure.

The procedure includes:

• a requirement that your employer gives you at least six months’ notice of your retirement date
  • your right to request to work past your retirement date, and your employer having a duty to consider such a request

Your employer is not obliged to retire you as soon as you reach your normal retirement age (or 65).

If your employer retires you before your normal retirement age (or 65), this may amount to age discrimination and unfair dismissal.

Someone needs to have a word with the guy I took to Carlisle last sunday on nights, 71 years old, doing part time HGV work to keep him out of the PUB :open_mouth:

His other part time job is BUS DRIVING, which he does during the day in the week, to keep him out of the PUB :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Most young guns I know, DREAM of spending their retirement in the pub FFS

Each and everyone, to their own IMHO :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I think anyone who wants to work until they are 70 or 75 should be allowed to, others may want to have a few years pottering round the garden, taking the grandkids to school and babysitting.

If a government can force them all to work until age 70, why did their parents go to war?

We’ve had 4 retire in the last 2 years, 1 guy passed away with cancer 3 months after hanging his keys up :cry: But the other 3 come in a few days a week on the agency :open_mouth:

I think they’re crazy but when you’ve been at it as long as these guys it must be hard to give it up ?

I’m not far off retirement age, and I dont have a job at present. But, there is absolutely no way on earth would you get me to work beyond 65, in fact I think the retirement age should be 60. That would open up jobs for the youngsters that deserve the opportunity to work, anyone wanting to work beyond retirement age (IMHO) has a screw loose. Dont get me wrong, I’ve worked hard during my working life and no way work shy, my only regret is not having a job to take me up to retirement.

Tiger.

I don’t want to retire, it would drive me round the twist, I want to carry on driving until I can’t pass the medical then drop dead.

Harry Monk:
I don’t want to retire, it would drive me round the twist, I want to carry on driving until I can’t pass the medical then drop dead.

I know where you’re coming from Harry, when I was in my 40’s, even 50’s, I said I would never retire at 65. But what I didn’t take into account at the time was how the toll of a life on the road affects the body physically. I can still drive ok, but my spine is knackered (osteo cervical spondylosis) through years of doing things I thought were ok. I wouldn’t wish this on anyone, if you reach the age of 65 in good health, dont ruin it by pushing yourself until you cant get a medical. It’s not worth it.

Tiger.

ok to retire as early as you like if you have a good pesion to look forward to but how many blokes on here in their 40s and upwards have enough years in a pension scheme, as for carrying on the way things are with these politicians some people with have to work till they drop I can see the age limit for the government pension going up and up this is probably ok if you have sat a desk all your life I have a few mates who are builders plasterers etc they are in their 50s and their bodies are knackered they have trouble with elbows backs knees however they would not have to stop working if they fail a medical for having high blood pressure or a dodgy ticker, however if you are fit and able and want to work I think do so although you may be keeping the younger generation out of work, I personally at 57 would retire tomorrow if I could but you have to have things to do you cannot just sit around or go down the pub everyday, I have a couple of mates who retired early one does loads of old peoples gardens for free and is fit and mentally active the other one just follows the horses and does nothing much at all and I think he is losing the plot I think because he has no contact or crack with other blokes, one other thing to throw in the ring my late brother i law was a black cab driver in london and he knew a guy who was 80 who still drove a cab for a few hours each day he did however have to have a medical every 6 months to keep his PSV licence (or whatever they call it now) sorry to ramble on chaps but it is a subject which looms ever closer the older you get

It seems to be that the retirement age is going to be increased,in stages, from the present 65 y.o.a. for men, to something approaching 70 y.o.a. over the next 10 to 15 years.
I hope Ady1 saves enough, before he reaches the ESL Retirement age of 65, to keep things going until he gets his State Retirement Pension paid. That will not be until he reaches whatever the Retirement Age has become, during the intervening years. Too many people are living too long. So the Government Actuary will lift the Retirement Age up, in the hope that the same percentage of people as now, die before they reach Retirement Age, thereby not needing their State Pension.
Get bunging plenty of dosh into those Cash Isa,s Ady. You might need it to tide you over till State Pension day, if ESL don,t lift their retirement age to match the Government one.

Well I retired… Then I got a phone call - “Any chance you could do a couple of days?”

“Why not,” say I. “Nice to have a day out at someone else’s expense.”

Next week - “Any chance etc.”

So here I am, two years on and doing some agency guy out of one or two days work most weeks. I also save my old employer loads because I am cheaper, and I know the work. The other drivers are happy too because they know I wont muck up their trucks or steal their stuff.

Win Win I reckon - Except for the unknown agency driver…

Retirement should be when you want it, not when the government say so.

It is a bit of a contradiction by the government to say that as we are living longer we should work longer and then allow employers kick people out at 65 or whatever arbitary figure they think of.

I was at Asda at Dartford yesterday and the majority of their drivers that I saw were probably over 65.

My employer has many drivers over 65, I am 59 and probably one of the younger ones.

I retired at 55 and could not get a driving job, I was too old. Driving wasn’t my original job and therefore is different to someone who has done for many years. I retired from my job because I hated it but couldn’t make a career change any earlier.

ady1:

Perhaps the reason the older drivers are doing these jobs is because no one else wants them.

I work three days a week and average 40 hours a week. The advantage I have is that I don’t have to do it and I always have the option to say no. There are probably many others who do the same.

The other point is that it is cheaper than using my car for a drive around the countryside.

tachograph:

ady1:

Are the people over 65 not also employees ?

How is being forced to retire good for the employees who wish to carry on working ?

its good for the employee because most dont think they have any life outside work untill they finally are forced to retire
i.e stepdad was devastated to be told he could not carry on after he was 65, mum said he was in tears, never went to his leaving do as he was to upset, 2 yrs on he will tell you its the best thing thats happen too him,there always away on holidays, if he hadnt been told he was to retire hed still be in some godforsaken farm mending some machine instead of some beach

greg50:
why should a person be forced to retire if they are fit enough to keep going,its a bit unfair to put people out off work and force then to stay at home,of lie down and die perhaps…
as for coach trips,i wouldnt think the average lorry driver[or ex] would be too happy on a coach tour to scarborough or anywhere else,they have seen enough of these places all their lives.

wife,kids,grandkids,holidays,hobbies,socialize there really is no need to lie down and die