Got a job :)

I passed my cat c on the 22nd october 2011 and had been knocking on doors and making lots of phone calls to both driving agencies and local companies both big and small.
I was getting a lot of knock backs like, minimum of 2 years experience for insurance purposes or just a straight no for newly qualified driver and others just not calling back or answering the phone when i called them back!!

However last week i called a local firm which moved premesis last november to a new purpose built site, bigger and nicer. The transport manager spoke with me on the phone and said those words yes we take on newly qualified drivers and those with little to no experience in the industry (like me).
So i went straight down to the premesis and got an application form, sat in the car and filled it out, I had taken my pass certificate and test sheet with me and when i went back into the reception i asked if i could speak with the transport manager and he agreed and came and we chatted for about 40 minutes and he said i had jumped the gun as they were going to advertise for a part time driver soon!!
He said he had to wait on a phone call early part of the following week and then he would call me back, so the next week (This week) i hadnt heard anything on tuesday, so i called him on wednesday and he appologised and said he had just been busy, so i asked if there was a job available still and he said yes and was looking to start me in a week or so, and then asked me to come in the following day between 10am and 11am to just go over the finer details, so i thought yes great.
But the next day (yesterday) i went into the transport office and was asked to wait in the canteen area and to make myself a drink. After 10 minutes a gentlemen came in and introduced himself and we went into a side room where another guy joined us and i was given a full on interview, a bit more than finer details. They told me if i was succesful they would phone me within a week which i found odd after what i had been told the day before.
So i was now on tender hooks wondering what the verdict was going to be and if someone else had come forward for the position ahead of me. So today i called the office twice and eventually got hold of the manager again and asked if a decision had been made because i would hate to have to go through the weekend not knowing, he said the only stumbling block was the fact that i was going to have the snip on the 22nd november and he needed me to start on the 21st november, so i re itterated what i had said in the interview, i would cancel the appointment and have it done at a later date and just use other means of protection. He then said the job was mine and he would send it out in writting and to come on the 21st november at 8am to get sorted out, as they provide all uniform including shoes, polo shirts etc,
They also pay for the cpc i will need.

So the reason ive posted this essay is to give hope to anyone just starting out as i am and to say never give up!! :grimacing:

Nice one on the job very well done :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: and good look with the snip :frowning:

Some blokes will do anything to avoid going under the knife!! That’s cracking news :smiley: Every good news story on here regarding getting jobs revolves around persistance and effort and you have shown it works. Hope it all goes well.

Well done for persevering. Just goes to show that more and more newbies are getting the opportunity if they put the effort in and don’t just expect a job to turn up on their lap.

Congratulations.

Just take it steady and you will be fine. Oh and remember, chances are the wagons will be longer and wider than what you trained in. :slight_smile:

Good luck and keep us posted.

Dean

peak_46:
Some blokes will do anything to avoid going under the knife!!

lol safe for a bit longer :grimacing:

Yes just keep calling, i thought i may have over done it calling every day nearly, but no it just goes to show you are very keen and willing no matter what :wink:

And many thanks again to every one on here and above all to the excellent training at pete smythe and the trainer nick.

lol Thats great news Atomic ( no not the snip the JOB ) lol yea you are right the chances are out there for new drivers if you just keep tryin and dont give up after the first few NO s that you hear … well done mate :smiley:
Now as for the snip well I had it done years ago under local anasthetic ( ouch :open_mouth: ) and take it from me the last thing you wanna be doing after that is bouncing about on your :blush: :blush:S in a truck all day …
You did the right thing mate the job will be less painfull :laughing:

YAMBOL57:
Now as for the snip well I had it done years ago under local anasthetic ( ouch :open_mouth: ) and take it from me the last thing you wanna be doing after that is bouncing about on your :blush: :blush:S in a truck all day …
You did the right thing mate the job will be less painfull :laughing:

lol, what a topic ay, men and the snip lol, its done via laser now :confused:

Many congrats on getting the job! As has been said, it relies on persistance. The work is there but you must go to it. It’s not good sitting at home waiting for someone to come begging for your services.

As for the snip - - no comment. But it’s nearly put me off my tea!!

Good luck with everything - job + snip. And thanks for the kind words.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Many thanks :grimacing:

Nice one Atomic.

Hope it all works out for you and you enjoy yourself pal. :grimacing:

Can you still get those T shirts that say “I’m firing blanks”?

Congratulations on the job Atomic if you hadnt kept ringing mabe that job would have gone to someone else shows that if you persevere with the phone calls you can make it happen so other new drivers take heed keep on at these people your hard work will pay off well done mate and enjoy :smiley:

jen x

just an afterthought , if you think 7 years for breaking a mirror is bad luck try breaking a condom !! :wink:
sorry couldnt resist :wink:

Jennie:
just an afterthought , if you think 7 years for breaking a mirror is bad luck try breaking a condom !! :wink: sorry couldnt resist :wink:

lol Got 2 boys and dont plan on any more, you will have me checking all the packets now for pin pricks lol

axletramp:
Can you still get those T shirts that say “I’m firing blanks”?

lol