New driver - Finally got a job

I’ve been registered on here for a few months and thought it was time to say hello - HELLO! Up until now I’ve just been lurking and found the forums very interesting, informative and useful - Well done guys.

Anyway, as the title suggests, I’m a new driver and finally got a job starting Monday.

I did my cat C (and Mod 4) training with John at Flair in November/December. An excellent instructor who got me through my test.

Once I got my licence, I applied for numerous jobs. Most of the time I didn’t get a response, if I spoke to someone on the phone, all I’d ever hear was experience, experience, experience.
I managed to get a couple of interviews, then they ask about experience… Obviously I was honest and said I’d only done the training. They then ask how long I’ve had the licence, and that pretty much terminated the interview.

It did my head in, so in January I decided to do my class 1 thinking it might help me to get class 2 work.
I got the licence back, and started applying for every class 2 job within a 30+ mile radius. Still, all I ever heard was experience, experience, experience.
Even agencies wanted experience and half of the jobs they advertise don’t even seem to exist. I couldn’t possibly have tried any harder - I was registered on all the main jobs sites and applying for every job that came up, contacting agencies and registering with them (I’ve lost count how many I’ve registered with!), contacting employers directly, etc.
I think my most hated word in the English dictionary right now is “experience”!

I have to say, as a new driver, it’s incredibly difficult and had I known just how difficult it was, I’d have thought twice about spending thousands on the licences. Before even booking my medical, I contacted a couple of agencies, including Reliance in Chelmsford. They promised me that if I got the licence, they could definitely get me work straight away and not having experience wouldn’t be a problem at all. After getting the licence, they said I need experience and they’re not sure they can get me any work without experience. I’ve contacted them 10-20 times since but never even get a call back so for anyone thinking of doing the training based on promises by agencies - Don’t trust them.

Anyway, last Monday I had an interview and while I was in the interview, they offered me the job - Driving rigids and artics! It’s a miracle really.

So all I can say to those who have done their licence but can’t get the work, just keep trying. Don’t sit there watching TV, sit there searching and applying for jobs, contact employers directly and ask for interviews… always be pro active and you’ll get there eventually.

For those looking to do the training, I would certainly recommend John at Flair Training.

For the rest of you on here already driving - See you on the road :stuck_out_tongue:

Well done on getting the job mate!

Have you started yet?

Grats on job matey i got lucky right place right time day i got licence through never looked back

I suppose you can honestly say you have
EXPERIENCE
In being interviewed :grimacing: :grimacing:

Well done fella now the learning starts…