Got a class 2 job finally

As in my last post went to an interview just over a week ago at a small company working out of a portor cabin, they said they are getting 2 new lorries and looking to move to bigger premises. Got a call today and they said you got the job if you still want it…

They are willing to give me a try, they reacon they have regular work in London and the Midlands, said I would be driving a 18tonner with 4-5 drops a day with 1 or 2 at the most nights out a week. Pays £450-£465 week ish but I would be self employed to start with as they are small firm but are looking to go on to a proper pay system in the future. Said they would help me get class 1 when they move.

Only bit I dont like sound of is London work Im abit worried as I have o experience and my 1st work will be in London, but I know you got to take the rough with the smooth as they say, and as the other nice guy on here said its good experience at an early stage. I suppose you get used to routes etc, I have done some night work for DHL in London and enjoyed it but nights are quite compared to days

The bit I would be concerned with is the Self Employed

As you would have to invoice them at YOUR rate not what they say you are then responsible for paying your tax & NI you can not work for just 1 employer as this does not go down well with the tax office

Do you know anything about setting up as self employed :question: as it can take time you will need a business account know what you can claim for on your tax & are you going to be VAT registered :question:

Don’t get your self in too much of a tiz about london mate. Just plan your route if you can and take your time. Been to central london a few times in a car/van before I did in a truck and I would say it’s worse in a car or van to be honest. “london drivers” basically just drive like they’ve got to be somwhere in the next 10 seconds whether they have or not. I can almost guarantee you’ll be fine in a truck, just stick to the left hand lane when appropriate and let them overtake. You’ll no doubt get countless ■■■■■■■■■ trying to squeeze in front of you when the lanes merge but that’s the norm, just happens more often in the capital :grimacing: Besides, they’ll soon get the idea when they realise you aren’t going to slow down for them :wink: Just keep your wits about you and you’ll be sound, 99% of london drivers will give way to you if you realise you’re in the wrong lane since most of the bus drivers/local lorry drivers just push in anyway so they’ll move for fear of being crushed :open_mouth:

Ooh and congrats on the job!

I wouldn’t worry too much about the “self employed” part at this stage. Yes, you’ll need to invoice them for your hours worked and you will be responsible for paying your own tax & NI, but you wont need to be vat registered or have a buisness account if your a one-man band only charging for your labour.

You will need to do Self Assessment for your taxes.

Keep ALL your invoices, expenses, etc. (there’s quite a bit you may be able to claim tax releif on, so it’s worth checking).

Also, put money asside for holiday periods (including Bank Holidays) & to cover illness, 'cause you wont be getting holiday or sick pay!

Good luck, Nez

thanks for the advice

no i must admit i dont know too much about self employed part but my dad was self employed so he might help out on that side
thanks for the london advise, I did drive vans in central London and east London on night work for around a month a while back, it didnt seem to bad when I got used to it but then it was at night so not as busy. Should be a good job to gain the experience with, they sound nice people and best thing is its permenant and you more or less know what your going to be doing everyday (unlike agency work) so fingers crossed, think once I done a month in London I will be ok, like anything you get used to it I guess:)

Good luck with the job

if its any help when the company calls me for london i usually end up wimbledon and outskirts so you may not have to go central as prev poster said plan your route I use aa truckers atlas for low bridges etc enjoy and good luck

Jen x

Ps i do self assesment and if you do it online they work out everything for you I put a bit of my wages away each week to pay tax bill at end of year so dont end up with bill i cant pay have a look at gov website and explains self assesment for you and what you have to do :bulb:

thanks thats handy too know, is there a sat nav that works well does anyone know ? I have a Garmin Nuvi but that might get me in muddle :unamused:

Will get a atlas as backup, just need to get my digi card sorted dont know how long that takes to come back ? Iam going to need it in 2weeks when the 18t arrive, 1st 2 weeks they are putting me on a 7.5t so should get me the feel of things.

My digi card came back in approx. 4 days

BTW as you are Self Employed you can work for more than 1 person with out a prob unless they pay you a retainer

Also a good A-Z of London might be a good idea

If you buy the Truckers Atlas from the AA get the Close up version, it’s a big old book but it is actually a handy tool. Unlike the standard version which has bugger all info by comparison.