another newbie

hi,
i have recently passed my class 2 (2 weeks ago) and like all newbies i am struggling like hell to get work due to the “2 yrs minimum experience” and “maximum 3 points”
i have however been offered a position with a haulage company but as a self employed driver but with regular work and was wondering if anyone had any advice etc in good old plain english as im not the brightest spark lol
ive never been self employed and after looking on some of the forums i am now completely confused :blush:

thanks in advance
shayne

self employed is easy, keep note of all your income (obviously) Also keep receipts for everything you need to spend “on work” eg digs, meals, work boots anything. You pay the tax and NI on your pay/income and claim back the VAT from all your receipts. It sounds harder and more complecated than it is. The up side is you have been offered the chance to get the all important experience we all need, (I’m also a noob passed the cat c on the 16th of jan and my mod 4 cpc this morning) grab it and run with it. It if turn out to be crap at least you got some miles under your belt.

thanks danny and congrats by the way :smiley:
i am chomping at the bit as i know i need the all important experience i was just put off a little bit by the self employed bit as it seemed a bit daunting to me

all you need to do is keep a paper trail of all moneys and do a self assesment at the end of the tax year, it takes about 20-30mins to do.

:smiley: :smiley:

Why self employed and what do they mean with regular work, is it a job or just a standby?

thanks ROG passed with NO minors :grimacing: lol

basically i had a call yesterday from a haulage company and said come in for interview so i did and was then told the job would be self employed driver but driving their vehicles for a contract they had won working 4 nights a week earning x amount per week, i found this bit confusing as if i was driving their vehicles for them for their contract would that not be employed?? i didnt really want to ask too many questions as this company was of course willing to take a punt on a newly qualified driver which many arent.

in my head i know i shouldnt really turn it down as i need the all important experience etc but something is niggling at me with this self empoyed bit and having a family to support im a wee bit worried lol

Self employed can be a minefield and depending on the written contract can mean them saying bye to you at a moments notice

Seek legal advice on employment and contracts

thanks again rog

yeah im speaking to a friend who is a self employed plasterer and he says its easy enough but the down side is as u mentioned :frowning: ive got an appointment tomorrow with a legal advisor to see were the land lies on all of this i just dont wanna fall in the trap and end up in worse situation than i am now ie if the contract falls through am out on my ■■■.

another question i have is that the company is offering a weekly salary not hourly is that normal??

sooooo many questions lol

There are several courses run by HMCR or self employment but you can work for anyone as self employed & be careful as the tax office like you to work for more than 1 person

You should be given them the rate not the other way round as remember what they are given you you have to take off your tax & NI

Speak to a good accountant as they can be worth there weight & can save you a lot of money

As said you need to keep all receipts & you can claim a lot so offset a lot of earnings against your tax

cheers animal,

yeah have just made an appt with accountant as well lol

i just think it sounds a bit too good to be true somehow and something doesnt quite make sense or maybe it was me just being a little bit too keen to get my ass into a class 2 job.

i will def weigh up all my options

If on a weekly salary then expect to be working every legal hour available

yeah that i expected as from previous experience with my previous 7.5t multidrop role it was working up to the max hours on a daily basis.
think i just gonna throw my cv out to as many haulage companies in the area and hope for the best

So if you could be working 80 hours a week you need to work out if the money is worth it

shayne:
thanks ROG passed with NO minors :grimacing: lol

basically i had a call yesterday from a haulage company and said come in for interview so i did and was then told the job would be self employed driver but driving their vehicles for a contract they had won working 4 nights a week earning x amount per week, i found this bit confusing as if i was driving their vehicles for them for their contract would that not be employed?? i didnt really want to ask too many questions as this company was of course willing to take a punt on a newly qualified driver which many arent.

in my head i know i shouldnt really turn it down as i need the all important experience etc but something is niggling at me with this self empoyed bit and having a family to support im a wee bit worried lol

They are offering it self-employed so they don’t have to pay tax,NI and a pension contribution.

massive thanks again for the advice n help guys.

think ive just had a lucky escape, luckily my brother is a c+e driver so i asked him for advice on the self employment and he pointed me to my step brother who is a credit controller after a little investigation it transpires that the company has no credit rating and was recently bankrupt and now trading under a different name so told to stay well well clear.

yayyyyyyyyy got an interview next week with a large local haulage company starting back on 7.5 but with a good chance to progress back up to class 2 in few weeks, i see it as a bit of a probation period lol :laughing: