Good news

Just thought I’d share this with you. The forums have a fair share of tales of not being able to get work etc. My daughter’s partner was recently made redundant from his job as a fork lift driver. On my advice he came to me for C and CE training. Having passed both of them 1st time within 3 weeks and going to Rick at Data Academy, Leicester for artic training for 4 hours (thanks Rick) he then signed up with agencies.
He had the normal - we’ll be in touch etc.
On Friday last week a mate of mine told me where there was a job. I happen to know the operator so gave him a quick call and explained that there was this guy with zero experience. Would he consider him?
Yes, if I could recommend him. Explained that I could vouch for his character but, with zero experience, the best I could do was to offer to go with him. On that basis, he was invited for an interview yesterday at 10a.m.
The next I heard was that, at 11.15, he had been set on and was in the truck with another experienced driver (I trained him 30 odd years ago) on their way to Bolton. An 11 plate DAF XF105 with container.
Had a text this morning at 7.30 from Manchester where he had just arrived having started work this morning at around 5.30.
I know this all revolves around knowing the right people - - but it does prove that there is work out there. But sometimes it’s to do with being in the right place at the right time. Hope this encorouges those looking for work. Just persist.
Best of luck to all, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Did you used to sell snow to Eskimos? :laughing:

Its a good ending and shows that there are jobs about, if you apply yourself, or use your contacts. We can all give general advice on these forums, but if a new driver is looking for a job, nip down the pub, talk to any neighbours who work in a transport environment, they may just need a driver for a week, a month, even a day.

I bet most wives will know what happens down the street or who does what for a job.

Well mine knows everything about every thing :stuck_out_tongue:

Thats Great news Peter
he did well getting through C and CE in three weeks it took me 4 months and still 2 fails on the CE but that goes to show what a good trainer can do … and yes it does go to show that there are some companies who will take on a newby its just a matter of keep trying and not giving up after the first couple of NOs that you hear … :smiley:

As has been said in a different topic, the companies are usually very amenable to newly qualified drivers. It’s the insurance clauses that keep them from taking you on.

I am going for my second try at CE at the weekend and hope I get it in the bag.

As for jumping straight into a W&D or Artic on the Monday, I am realistically going to be waiting a while before anything comes up (although if I am given the opportunity I definitely won’t turn it down)