German and Austrian tolls

i went to load plants at a place in Emsburen and stopped there over night. i went in about 8pm and put down i was leaving next day at about 10am so hopefully i did right!

Yes, that’s fine, you can book it in advance, although as I understand it you have a one-hour period of grace after you join the Autobahn in which to buy a ticket- in reality it is an hour after you pass the first gantry I suppose.

and i guess the maut boxes in the window just register through every gantry so it then sends the info and bill to the company operating it?

Yep, if you have a permanently fitted box the toll is deducted automatically, we don’t go to Germany often enough to have them fitted so we buy tickets as and when, quite why they couldn’t use a simpler system like the Austrian Go-box or the UTA tag is beyond me.

As a footnote, some mischievous and unscrupulous individuals keep an eye out for the first gantry they pass under, then when they buy the MAUT they pretend they got on at the exit immediately before it, rather than the real one 50km earlier but this is illegal and defrauds the German government so naturally I would never do it oh no no no no no.:wink:

Harry Monk:
quite why they couldn’t use a simpler system like the Austrian Go-box or the UTA tag is beyond me.

Because the German motorway network is far more extensive and complicated than the Austrian one and the Austrian sytem wouldn’t work.
Toll Collects words, not mine.

I suspect Pete’s post below is nearer the real reason.

I believe that they were thinking of the future when all
Countrys goes on a Maut system and hope THAT THEY MIGHT
win the contract as it is capable of covering more than
one country,

I would imagine a far more efficient way of enforcing Europe-wide road tolling would be through the GPS system anyway.

Coffeeholic:

Wow, spooky, how did you know he was going to say that? :wink:

Harry Monk:

Coffeeholic:

He is predictable, especially when it comes to chains, tyres, trains and Luxembourg. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:

Harry Monk:

Coffeeholic:

He is predictable, especially when it comes to chains, tyres, trains and Luxembourg. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Fantastic, I’m doing a trip to Madrid in July and was wondering about the best route and if I would need snow chains etc :wink:

dont you just but a piece of paper for 20 shilling aday and tick the day, month and year boxes for austria? after you get your ecco stamps stamped at least you did the last time i transited austria

malcolmj:
dont you just but a piece of paper for 20 shilling aday and tick the day, month and year boxes for austria? after you get your ecco stamps stamped at least you did the last time i transited austria

Hold on a minute Malc, the phone’s ringing.

It was 1990’s Austria, they said to tell you they want their regulations back. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually it changed about 2003/2004 if I recall correctly :wink:

Don’t forget to take a bag of one shilling pieces, three bob will get you a packet of ■■■■ anywhere, same size and weight as a Deutschemark you see :wink:

Harry Monk:
Don’t forget to take a bag of one shilling pieces, three bob will get you a packet of ■■■■ anywhere, same size and weight as a Deutschemark you see :wink:

Those were the days, Harry
Fair brings a tear to me eye, so it does :laughing: :laughing:

i seam to remember superglueing two A shilling coins together and using them in the vending machines at the wheelhouse in dover

many thanks for all the help and advice guys, much appreciated