Austrian Go Box

Any one out there help me with any info on the austrian road tax pls, couldnt figure it out last week i just got through Shaanwald out of FL as it was closing & had to run up to Germany via the B roads, any info would be appreciated and might save me an embarresing and costly journey next time. :blush:

Coffeeholic or Bitpete, to mention a few, will be the chaps to speak to. You could wait for them to post or if your in rush you could use the search function and send them a PM.

It is a really simple system. Just go into any of the Go-Box service points - they are in most service stations, at border crossings and also in service stations near the border in neighbouring countries - and hand over €5 for a box and give them details such as registration number and number of axles ( in the case of an artic just give them the unit axles). You have two options, one is pay as you go in which you buy credit in advance, you hand over the box to the person behind the counter in the sales point and they slip it into a machine to apply the credit. Option two is to link the box to a fuel card and in that case you post pay when the invoice comes through from the fuel card supplier. The box fixes to the inside of the windscreen using the supplied sticky pads and has its own battery that is said to last around 5 years.

Operating the box is simple, you select the correct number of axles, if it is an artic then make sure you change the box from the number of axles on the unit, and off you go. The box beeps as you pass under each gantry on the motorway and that is all there is to it. If you run low on credit the box beeps more than once to advise you to go into a sales point and top it up. Not sure how many beeps it gives for that as mine is post pay so I never hear it do that.

You can find more details here.

Most places will also need papers for the truck to get the go box, as they will need the address from reg docs, if you hear it beep 4 times your out of credit, dont leave it to next trip to top it up as its a 220euro fine, even if you dont plan on going back the box stores all info.
sdj

if you pay as you go the minimum is 50 euros

And make sure the box is set for the correct number of axles as thats 220 euros fine as well, and dont drive less than 50m to the vehicle in front as that is also 220euros fine, they like 220euro fines for some reason, along with 220 euros for driving when they say you should’t be driving tho if any of the above involve adr you can put lots of zero’s after.
sdj

Biggles:
And make sure the box is set for the correct number of axles as thats 220 euros fine as well, and dont drive less than 50m to the vehicle in front as that is also 220euros fine, they like 220euro fines for some reason, along with 220 euros for driving when they say you should’t be driving tho if any of the above involve adr you can put lots of zero’s after.
sdj

Sounds like you been captured a few times, Biggles lol

I’ve just increased the Euro float to 660, LOL :smiley:

Many thanks for all your help and advice, dos’nt seem to complicated, so hopefully i can be better prepared next time (with plenty of euros just in case). :laughing:

you can use the go box to pay for the brenner as well if you have sufficient credit. we used to put 100 euro on it every transit trip to italy and that was sufficient.