German and Austrian tolls

i have the opportunity to drive on the continent, something i have wanted to do for a long time, will be travelling to Hungary and so through Germany and Austria, can anyone advise me about toll roads and how their operated ie how you pay? any information gratefully received,

Germany and Austria both are distance related tolls. For Germany you visit a machine, which are found at all border crossings, services and truck stops (including in neighbouring countries). For Austria you need a Go Box, which you also can get at the border, and you load credit onto the box before setting off. You can pay with cash, credit card or most fuel cards for both systems.

See the sticky thread at the top of this forum for links to more information about both systems.

For Hungary you need one these, unless they have changed the system since I was last there and you get them at the border, or just after.

You can see that is quite old so it may have changed.

If you do a search in the main forum for some of my recent diaries there is a little information about the German system in them.

Stampy go on to the euro sticky s
through the sticky,s, what
type of Euro type engine is fitted
this effects you cost for the road charges,
Germany you can use one of the maut machines
if you have no OBU Unit fitted, for AUSTRIA
you will have to buy a GO-BOX ; Buy this at
the Border in PASSAU or where every you are
crossing over , AND GET THEM TO FIT it
if you do position it in the wrong place it will cost you
money Lot,s…
Right Hungary you buy the vignette, make sure you buy
enough to cover the time needed,
Question how high is your trailer not over 4:00M i hope
for International transport,
Right any more questions just ask away as some one
will come back with a answer for you,

Unless you are in a vehicle under 12t gvw then you need nothing for Belgium and Germany.
In Austria anything over 3.5t needs a Go box.
Under 3.5t in Austria,you just need to get a sticker type vignette.

many thanks brit pete and coffeeholic,however when i go to sticky thread and click on german BAG it comes up as error,also will be driving an 8 wheeler flatbed which i know is classed as euro 3 for emissions

Here are the four sites for the tolls you will need.

Belgium, Holland and Luxembourg

Germany

Austria

Hungary

weather must be improving around Dortmund as pete never advised the OP on tyres and snow chains :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: :laughing:

WHO me well let me see , if it is snowing
THEN who knows what the Austrian & Hungarian
Mr Plod will do, lets hope the snow is gone
or i will be having the last :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

welshboyinspain:
weather must be improving around Dortmund as pete never advised the OP on tyres and snow chains :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: :laughing:

And a golden opportunity to send him via Luxembourg, which would actually make sense on this occasion. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Depends how big his fuel tanks are Coffeeholic mate
oh yeh Fuel is cheaper in AUSTRIA than Hungary by the way.

brit pete:
Depends how big his fuel tanks are Coffeeholic mate

Even without big fuel tanks it will be a saving on the maut, Remich to Passau or Salzburg against Aachen to Passau or Salzburg for instance.

Not even the hint of catching a train either. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

They must have stopped his commission. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

NO it just that they do not run any more
from Germany—Vienna,sorry , :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :laughing:

only travelled to Germany a few times and used the machines for the maut. forgive me if i sound thick, i understand the reason for junction entry and exit but can you tell me why you need to put time in as well?

Because they give you a set time to do the journey in
which normal is long enough to complete the distance in.

brit pete:
Because they give you a set time to do the journey in
which normal is long enough to complete the distance in.

yeah i know i just wanted to know the reasoning behind it? is it to do with speeding? just seems odd when you already have given entry and exit junctions dont understand the time thing and what penalties are if you come back after allocated time

it is nothing to do with speeding at present they are not
allowed to use that DATA FOR ANY THING but the maut
If you go over the time and do not rebook a new ticket
if caught the fines are I believe around €300 or a visit
before a judge and court,thats Germany the austrians
may be cheaper or higher

scaniav8power:
only travelled to Germany a few times and used the machines for the maut. forgive me if i sound thick, i understand the reason for junction entry and exit but can you tell me why you need to put time in as well?

Simple, the reason they have a time limit on journeys is to stop someone who covers a short journey several times in a day from paying once and using the same ticket several times over.

It’s nothing do do with speeding, as Pete says, the data gathered by the gantries can only be used to check compliance with the maut and nothing else. The times are vey generous anyway, 12 hours for a 4 hour journey and 90 minutes for a 30 minute one for example.

Although they do not factor in enough time to take an overnight break if you are on a relatively short trip, one of our drivers was caught out by this in the early days of the MAUT, and was stopped on his way to Frankfurt having stopped overnight en route.

He was fined and given the chance to say his thing, which they wrote down, and in fairness to the Sausage-eating Squareheads they did refund the fine in full by post a few months later. best not to chance it though.

They have also increased the time limits quite a lot since the early days of the maut but you need to be on a six or seven hour journey before you get enough time to include an overnight stop.