Geoff gilbert drivers from days gone by

Thats John Gosling he has now retired

the flying foden:
any body put a name to this face

A couple of photos here from Bob Hobbs site transportphotos.com/road/photos

A mate of mine used to work for Gilberts his name is Dave Rose, he still lives near Boston and runs a small driver agency and another ex driver is on here by the name of LB76 aka Bill Robbins.

Is there anyone on hear that knew any Gilbert drivers from the 1980’s onwards?

I’d know them by sight,but can’t remember any names.

The only one I know by name would be Pete Chambers,but he only joined them when Spalding Haulage finished,and if I remember rightly he had a very nasty accident near Harwich a few years ago where a load of scaffold poles from a 7.5 tonner came through his windscreen and almost killed him.

Luckily he didn’t have his seat belt on so was able to dodge out of the way.

Wasn’t Pete Sellers one of the Gilbert drivers? I remember him.

Ah you mean Pete Chamberlain! Yes he did have a nasty accident but hes back behind the wheel now at Gilberts still not doing continental though. Pete Sellars was a top bloke.He was one of my dads best mates on there. He left quite a while ago and went on to petrol tankers in Bristol. If you knew them then you would have known my dad then.

Who di you work for back in those days KW?

Bloke i know who works for MW Tasker used to work for them, cant think what his surname is thou, his first name is Colin, he lives round that way as well.

scaniav8power:
Who di you work for back in those days KW?

At that time I was driving for a dutch company,Van Maanen Koeltransport from Barneveld,and I used to see all the Gilberts drivers regularly on the Harwich-Hook boat.Mostly on the Stena Seatrader.

The good old days KW hey! I used to like the old Beatrix boat with its revolving meal table! The St Nick was a good boat as well. I remember one time my dad arranged for me to go on the brifge and i got to steer the ship so if you remember spilling your drink is was probably me doing a sharp turn! Did you get the message i sent you KW?

Here’s a pic I took at Truckfest,can’t remember which year though,probably 1987.

KW:

Here’s a pic I took at Truckfest,can’t remember which year though,probably 1987.

got a pic here too from a couple of yrs later at truckfest but got no scanner to post it up…truck is a scania 113 360 registration is F612 CJL if it jogs any memories with old GG drivers…

Big Gaz:

KW:

got a pic here too from a couple of yrs later at truckfest but got no scanner to post it up…truck is a scania 113 360 registration is F612 CJL if it jogs any memories with old GG drivers…

Oh my god. That picture of the Scania with reg D797 WJL is my dad’s old truck and that was his at the time of the picture being taken. My dad had D797 and Jonny Morris who worked there had D798. They had photo shoot done of them both at Harwich in front of the ferry when they first got them 2 trucks. Thanks so much for putting that photo as I have alot of memories of trips in that truck with my dad who sadly is no longer with us.

the flying foden:

The driver in the picture is Jon Gosling. He was the first driver to use the euro tunnel from Gilberts. They had a big thing about it in the local rag at the time