Fuel duty refund

i have read an article in a magazine about night heaters.
it says that a night heater will use about 1.5 litres of diesel over an 8 hour period.
well if it isn’t being used as road fuel, wouldn’t it be worth trying to claim a fuel duty rebate from HMRC?

if you run 100 trucks, then that is 150 litres per night, which will amount to a tidy sum throughout the winter.

Think the answer will be prove that you use the
night heater in the period of time that you stipulate,

Thats a fair point limeyphil,

however…

No doubt you would have to be able to measure the amount used for HMCE to approve this, you could say my night heater is on for 8 hours each night but in fact how many drivers actually keep it on ALL night. I know I dont. Maybe an hour at first then 20min in the morning. Any more than that and the air gets dried out.

Even if you could quantify the amount of diesel actually used in the night heater it would only be of benefit to the big boys (i.e Stobart etc)

Not trying to urinate on your french fries…just playing devils advocat.

Might be worth a call to your local tax office to see what they think?

i read something about some haulage firm had made little tanks that hold red fuel just for the purpose of the nightheater but cant remember which topic i read it on

So can you leave your vehicle running whilst asleep :blush: ?
I’m saying this becuase my mate nearly got done by police few weeks ago for playing with his sat-nav whilst in neutral with engine running. They said they could give him 3 points for being ‘out-of control’ of vehicle despite it being in neutral :imp: .
Could they do you for this?

think they would struggle to get a nicking on that one,what about hiab lorries etc got to have engine running and i can be upto 12metres from the cab sometimes.

dbcooper:
think they would struggle to get a nicking on that one,what about hiab lorries etc got to have engine running and i can be upto 12metres from the cab sometimes.

That’s exactly what I think buddy, also with the starters you can get on your key. My mates dad got one on his BMW where he just presses the button and she starts with the doors locked and no-one in. If that was considered ‘out of control’ then there would be many people sueing BMW for compensation for points on there licence.
Cheers Db :smiley:

Dal123:
So can you leave your vehicle running whilst asleep :blush: ?
I’m saying this becuase my mate nearly got done by police few weeks ago for playing with his sat-nav whilst in neutral with engine running. They said they could give him 3 points for being ‘out-of control’ of vehicle despite it being in neutral :imp: .
Could they do you for this?

well the scottish plod reckon they can,was in the papers a couple of weeks ago,a white van man was sitting in stationary traffic in ayr with his handbrake on,leaned over into glovebox for a snot rag,blew his nose into it whilst being watched by 3 or 4 cops standing at the roadside,then one came over and gave him a ticket for “not being in control of his vehicle”.ffs :unamused: .the bloke says he aint payin.

Dal123:

dbcooper:

That’s exactly what I think buddy, also with the starters you can get on your key. My mates dad got one on his BMW where he just presses the button and she starts with the doors locked and no-one in. If that was considered ‘out of control’ then there would be many people sueing BMW for compensation for points on there licence.
Cheers Db :smiley:

I am sure it’s illegal to have the engine in a car on a public road running if you aren’t in it

Regulation 107(2)(a). This states that no person shall cause or permit to be on any road any motor vehicle which is not attended by a person duly licensed to drive it unless the engine is stopped and the parking brake is effectively set. Exemptions to the requirements of this Regulation as to the stopping of the engine include a fire brigade vehicle, the engine of which is being used for any fire brigade purpose.

that regulation states “in attendance” not necessarily in the cab.
There are lots of vehicles where the engine is needed to be running whilst driver out of cab.
edit …read it again and it also says that fire engines are included in the exemptions, so there must be a list of other exemptions somewhere.