Given the push as night heater did not work

Just had to leave my current job i resigned as i was going to be sacked they where going to use my probation period 12 months. But the real reason was i was nighting out in a truck with a broken night heater. I asked before taking the truck out if the heater had been fixed and was told yes but you guessed it i pressed the button and nothing. So when i had very little sleep about 2.30AM as it was -4 degrees i put my card in and left to return to the yard in Bedford about 80 miles. I sent a text to the TM that i was going home as i had no sleep as the night heater did not work his answer to me was that other drivers had problems with night heaters and wrapped up better and he had slept in a tent in the past. Anyway he back tracked and ask me to call him in the afternoon which i did i was told that i was to come into Bedford today for a meeting with him and a Mr Thompson this is the man who does the sacking as this firm Mr Gedding TM was asked by me was i better to resign said i was SMH vehicle solutions need to get ridd of this man as he will get people killed :frowning:

Should have slept with the engine on low constant soon fix the night heater when they are pishing diesel up the wall. Idle think uses 3 litres an hour low constant uses about 10 litres an hour. 11 hr rest would be 110 litres :laughing:

merc0447:
Should have slept with the engine on low constant soon fix the night heater when they are pishing diesel up the wall. Idle think uses 3 litres an hour low constant uses about 10 litres an hour. 11 hr rest would be 110 litres :laughing:

I would of but this small truck had a POD above the cab so made no difference to run engine :smiley:

I’ve done the same, drove back to the yard and ignored all future calls because of a 3rd night with no night heater. Forget all the crap about what he’s done in the past, its not the old days anymore and theres certainly no heroism in living/working like the old days either. sounds like a tight git.

:laughing: You crack me up Declan.

deck21:

merc0447:

I would of but this small truck had a POD above the cab so made no difference to run engine :smiley:

It may well have made no difference to you that night, but I absolutely guarantee that it would focus their minds enough to have it repaired pdq.

bigvern1:
:lol: You crack me up Declan.

pmsl i know what your thinking your lucky to have a night heater having worked for TJR express. Still on to other things tomorrow hopefully not another ■■■■■■

Smh in Worcester?

Rattray:
Smh in Worcester?

Yes Mr Gedding TM company okay just a bad manager who does not no what he is doing

deck21:

bigvern1:
:lol: You crack me up Declan.

pmsl i know what your thinking your lucky to have a night heater having worked for TJR express. Still on to other things tomorrow hopefully not another ■■■■■■

Chin up there are good firms out there ,
When I first started my night heater didn’t work but it been repaired now and works a Goodun now

deck21:

Rattray:
Smh in Worcester?

Yes Mr Gedding TM company okay just a bad manager who does not no what he is doing

I was doing some trade plate driving there a while ago, long story short I “had” to leave

Rattray:

deck21:

Rattray:
Smh in Worcester?

I was doing some trade plate driving there a while ago, long story short I “had” to leave

Oh well there all c****

When doing work for an agency, i remember pulling into the yard and seeing only old merc actross’s the ones with no cushioning on the sets or bunks, after loading my kit in the cab, as it was snowing where i was that day, and i was going to Scotland around 4 drops so at least one night out , i checked the night heater and no heat,

So i said to the guy who was in the yard, have you got another unit,? as the night heater ain’t working in this heap, and there’s no way i will be freezing my ■■■■■■■■ off all night, He then got the keys for a slightly newer cleaner actross with working night heater , he had to remove the normal drivers bedding first though, It was fortunate for me that i refused to take the heap out, as it snowed heavily up in Scotland that night and shut lots of roads, the M8 was just compacted ice on the way back the next evening

When I worked for TJR , I was never cold. Engine was never off. I ain’t dying in a lay by for no git.

deck21:

merc0447:

stay in the cab :laughing:

merc0447:

Dont know if all makes of trucks are the same but our Renaults switch their engines off if they are left idling for more than five mins…

What’s a night heater? [emoji848] Don’t have one in my sleeper pod and its warmer sleeping outside! [emoji16]

Secretelephant:

merc0447:

Dont know if all makes of trucks are the same but our Renaults switch their engines off if they are left idling for more than five mins…

Yeah my volvo switches off idle aswell after about 3 minutes, but no truck should turn off with low constant rev engaged. Switch engine on click cruise on and it turns it on. With Volvo you click the cc button then hit the plus button.

Had you completed your full daily rest when you set off, if not they have a good reason for sacking you mate tbh, ie breaking the law.

I agree the days of no night heaters are long gone, I used to years ago, we all did…but would definitely not now in this day and age, sod that, older and wiser.

I too would have put heater on (after ringing that ■■■■■■ up at 2am to tell him! :bulb: :imp: ) and maybe dossed across the seats rather than the cold pod. Then complete the job, and on first return to base refuse to take it again until sorted.
At least then you would have kept your job bud.

My night heater isn’t working at the moment and I haven’t had the time to remove it and send it away so I live without it, however I wouldn’t expect an employee (if I had one) to do that. A complete strip-down and re-build is only about £250 so it’s hardly a fortune.

Having said that, I never have the night heater running through the night anyway, once I’m tucked up in the duvet I’m toasty warm regardless of how cold it is.