Given the push as night heater did not work

I was in spare lorry last night with no night heater, but I don’t normally have it on all night, so only bothered in the morning when I got up. It was the no interior lights that annoyed me.

I respect any driver that refuses to night out in cold weather with a defective/non existent night heater. Simply put, it’s inhumane for an employer to expect their drivers to be parked up for 9-11 hours & sleep in the freezing cold. Would they be happy about their pet dogs at home having to doss down in such conditions?

Your better off not working for that bunch of tossers tbh matey, night out money is a joke at the best of times never mind freezing your nads off!

Really erks me that we get ~£20 or so for a night out yet tradesmen get put up in travel lodge type places all expenses paid.

One of the main reasons I’m no longer a tramper, when night out money is more realistic I’ll gladly go back to it.

Tossitoff:
Really erks me that we get ~£20 or so for a night out yet tradesmen get put up in travel lodge type places all expenses paid.

I dunno, I don’t have a problem with the idea of sleeping in the wagon so long as the wagon provided is in a humane condition with heating & you are afforded the opportunity everynight to park up in places with facilities (at no expense to yourself). I’d rather sleep in my own clean cab with all my gear than some ■■■■■ motel to be honest. You’d only get cheapskate bosses pairing you up with someone in a twin room :astonished:

But you are a mere lorry driver so what do you expect, 5 star hotel with a call girl thrown in ■■? just make do with the crap the companies give you, night heater or no, crack on drive !!!
The job now is worse than ■■■■■ and I don’t envy any tramper his job any more, but while people are prepared to do it employers will expect it !

deck21:
Just had to leave my current job i resigned as i was going to be sacked they where going to use my probation period 12 months. But the real reason was i was nighting out in a truck with a broken night heater. I asked before taking the truck out if the heater had been fixed and was told yes but you guessed it i pressed the button and nothing. So when i had very little sleep about 2.30AM as it was -4 degrees i put my card in and left to return to the yard in Bedford about 80 miles. I sent a text to the TM that i was going home as i had no sleep as the night heater did not work his answer to me was that other drivers had problems with night heaters and wrapped up better and he had slept in a tent in the past. Anyway he back tracked and ask me to call him in the afternoon which i did i was told that i was to come into Bedford today for a meeting with him and a Mr Thompson this is the man who does the sacking as this firm Mr Gedding TM was asked by me was i better to resign said i was SMH vehicle solutions need to get ridd of this man as he will get people killed :frowning:

You did ■■■■■■■ right. I’d have done the same. No working night heater = no night out in the cab and I don’t care if it’s the middle of summer, it still gets chilly in those tin boxes once you get into the small hours of the night. I don’t sleep at home in the cold and so I won’t sleep anywhere else in the cold either.

Secretelephant:

merc0447:
Should have slept with the engine on low constant soon fix the night heater when they are pishing diesel up the wall. Idle think uses 3 litres an hour low constant uses about 10 litres an hour. 11 hr rest would be 110 litres :laughing:

Dont know if all makes of trucks are the same but our Renaults switch their engines off if they are left idling for more than five mins…

The new ivecos we have do it even with the revs up , also still do it with the pto in unless you get out and activate the crane control box so the revs go up , won’t switch off with the handbrake released though :laughing:

the maoster:

deck21:

merc0447:
Should have slept with the engine on low constant soon fix the night heater when they are pishing diesel up the wall. Idle think uses 3 litres an hour low constant uses about 10 litres an hour. 11 hr rest would be 110 litres :laughing:

I would of but this small truck had a POD above the cab so made no difference to run engine :smiley:

It may well have made no difference to you that night, but I absolutely guarantee that it would focus their minds enough to have it repaired pdq.

That’s what I was thinking.

robroy:
I too would have put heater on (after ringing that ■■■■■■ up at 2am to tell him! :bulb: :imp: ) .

That’s even better, you do really have an evil mind :smiley:

robroy:
I agree the days of no night heaters are long gone, I used to years ago, we all did…but would definitely not now in this day and age, sod that, older and wiser…

Ageed :wink:

Harry Monk:
Having said that, I never have the night heater running through the night anyway, once I’m tucked up in the duvet I’m toasty warm regardless of how cold it is.

I’m the same, but its nice to be able to fire the heater up first thing in the morning :wink:

My heater is set to come on 1 hour before I get up.
If it is on all night I wake up with ■■■■ hangover like symptoms…, even though I have sun roof and windows cracked open.
Nothing wrong with it, I have had same in numerous trucks, so it’s me not the heater. :smiley:

robroy:
My heater is set to come on 1 hour before I get up.D

Yeah I do the same. Also, as the Actros alarm buzzer is pathetic I crank the radio volume right up before I go to bed and set that as my alarm. The sickly sweet voice of Feltz booming out has me straight out of bed reaching for the seek button in a fraction of a second!

robroy:
If it is on all night I wake up with [zb] hangover like symptoms…, even though I have sun roof and windows cracked open.
Nothing wrong with it, I have had same in numerous trucks, so it’s me not the heater. :smiley:

It must have been murder when you were driving steam powered trucks mate! :grimacing:

the maoster:
The sickly sweet voice of Feltz booming out has me straight out of bed reaching for the seek button in a fraction of a second!

:laughing:

Tossitoff:
Your better off not working for that bunch of tossers tbh matey, night out money is a joke at the best of times never mind freezing your nads off!

One of the main reasons I’m no longer a tramper, when night out money is more realistic I’ll gladly go back to it.

Simple solution, don’t night out. I tell them I’ve got a young child at home (I look like I’m my mid-20’s so it’s feasible), because it gets a better response than “I don’t like doing nights out.”

That being said I’ve only ever done 1. I stayed at my nan’s house and saw all my family in the area :L

robroy:
If it is on all night I wake up with [zb] hangover like symptoms…, even though I have sun roof and windows cracked open.

Sure you’re not being gassed !

Can’t sleep with cold feet! Bottle, body or cat are the solutions depending on which part of the week/weekend.

the maoster:

robroy:
My heater is set to come on 1 hour before I get up.D

Yeah I do the same. Also, as the Actros alarm buzzer is pathetic I crank the radio volume right up before I go to bed and set that as my alarm. The sickly sweet voice of Feltz booming out has me straight out of bed reaching for the SICK button in a fraction of a second!

You must have made a typo, so I’ve edited for you :wink:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Dav1d:

robroy:

Sure you’re not being gassed !

Yeh sure. I have always been the same with any night heater in any truck mate, (even the steam ones E8b you cheeky get :smiley: ) .
If I fall asleep with windows shut in summer, with little air, that even gives me a headache…I’m a delicate soul you know. :wink:

SMH vehicle solutions

so these are the people i can take the work from :laughing: :laughing: , i keep getting calls about them regarding work to be done, and they keep putting vehicles onto my R2C :unamused:

burnley-si:

SMH vehicle solutions

so these are the people i can take the work from :laughing: :laughing: , i keep getting calls about them regarding work to be done, and they keep putting vehicles onto my R2C :unamused:[/
dont understand