foreign units

Probably silly question but why are foreign units all 4x2 ? :question:

I may be wrong but they don`t run around @ 44t gross.

Presumably cos (the ones coming to this country at least) don’t need to run at 44t and having a 4x2 means it’s easier to fit big fuel tanks to save having to buy expensive fuel in the UK.

Paul

removalist:
Probably silly question but why are foreign units all 4x2 ? :question:

:slight_smile: They’re not all 4x2. I know there are some French, and pretty sure Belgique and Dutch have 6x2’s too. :wink:

I’m sure most European countries only allow 40 tons. So only need 5 axles. I think this is why but dont take that as fact.

44 tonnes is the maximum gross limit for HGVs as set down by the European Union and enforced in most EU countries. Apparently, 44 tonnes is derived from the maximum gross weight of most shipping containers (30 tonnes) together with the tare weight of the lorry required to pull it.

The EU rules state that you must spread this 44 tonnes over five axles, hence the 4x2 cabs and tri-axle trailers used by our foreign cousins. It is only in Britain that you must use SIX axles to pull 44 tonnes, hence the 6x2 cabs that we use. Something to do with our roads not being up for the job apparently…

Technically, the foreigners are only allowed to gross 41 tonnes in this country on their five axles; whether or not they obey this requirement is a different matter, however…

Technically, the foreigners are only allowed to gross 41 tonnes in this country on their five axles

This must be where I’m mistaken then. This is probably why I thought they could only weigh 40 tons (or 41).
Thanks for the info.

:confused: Some Dutch and or Beligians use four axle trailers for Containers, with 4x2 units. :wink: (I have seen them too)

Lank:
The EU rules state that you must spread this 44 tonnes over five axles, hence the 4x2 cabs and tri-axle trailers used by our foreign cousins. It is only in Britain that you must use SIX axles to pull 44 tonnes, hence the 6x2 cabs that we use.

I think EU rules say that you need six axles for 44 tonnes. At least Finnish law say that on international traffic 40 tonnes is maximum on five axles and 44 tonnes on six axles is allowed only when hauling containers, and I’d think those limits have came from EU.

Legally you can’t have 44 tonnes on five axles, as two axle unit max weight is 18 tonnes and maximum weight on triaxle trailer bogie is 24 tonnes so it doesn’t sum up more than 42 tonnes. Remaining two tonnes must be covered with sixth axle, but many countries have locally allowed higher weight for such combinations. Here in Finland we can have 48 tonnes on six axle artic, Norway, Denmark and Netherlands allow 50 tonnes and Sweden allows 60 tonnes for seven axle artic. There probably is still some other countries locally allowing more weight, but these are only that I know.

About four axle trailers, I have seen couple german registered 4x2 units hauling four axle Pilkington trailers.

According to weights and dimensions listed in Croner’s Road Transport Operation, quite a few countries allow 44 tons on 5 axles, a quick look down the list shows B, CZ, F, G, I, L allowing it. Also according to the list NL allows 50 tonnes on 5 axles.

However it also contains the following information.

The maximum dimensions and weights of vehicles that may circulate freely within EU Member States are harmonised by Directive 96/53 as amended by 2002/7. Bespoke prior authorisation and more liberal local legislation may allow larger vehicles to move around another EU country, but vehicles within the following maximum general limits have to be accepted:

Height 4m
Width 2.55m*

Length – Rigid Vehicle:
2 axles 12m
Over 2 axles 12m

Length – Trailers:
2 axles 12m
Over 2 axles 12m

Length – Articulated Vehicle:
3 axles 16.5m
4 axles 16.5m
5 axles 16.5m

Length – Road Trains: 18.75m

Weight – Axle:
Drive axle 11.5t
Single axle 10t
Tandem axle 18t**
Triple axle 24t**

Weight – Gross – Rigid Vehicle:
2 axles 18t
3 axles 25t
Weight – Gross – Trailers:
2 axles 18t
3 axles 24t

Weight – Gross – Articulated Vehicle:
3 axles (2+1) 36t
4 axles (2+2) 36t***
5 axles (2+3) 40t
5 axles (3+2) 40t
6 axles (3+3) 40t
containers (3+2/3) 44t

Weight – Gross – Road Trains:
4 axles (2+2) 36t
5 axles (2+3) 40t
5 axles (3+2) 40t
6 axles (3+3) 40t

• This width increases to 2.6m if the vehicle has purpose-built insulated walls for temperature control of the goods.
    ** This weight decreases variously if the span of the axles is restrictive.
    *** This weight increases to 38t for vehicles with road friendly suspension subject to individual limits of 18t on the tractor unit and 20t for the trailer.