Artic units in Europe

On a recent trip to Germany I noticed that nearly all the artic units are 4×2. I could probably count on one hand how many 6×2 units with lift axles I seen. Why is this? Are the weight limits different or are they allowed to carry 44t over fewer axles?
Just curious thats all!

bigger fuel tanks so less stops and grater range perhaps,

Max 40t on 5 axles in most of mainland Europe as opposed to our 44t over 6 axles.

Don’t the toll roads charge by the axle too? Hence the bigger amount of wagon n drags abroad.

halewood:
Don’t the toll roads charge by the axle too? Hence the bigger amount of wagon n drags abroad.

Surely it wouldn’t make any difference. Wag n drag or artic, still be same number of axles.

No point having an extra axle reducing payload potential, just like it was here when it was 38 tonne max on 5 axles, 3 axle units were used back then to reduce unit axle overloads when on multi drop and for cheaper VED, and will probably be the same reason over there, well apart from VED that is.

They also don’t run ridiculously high trailers…

All EU uses 4x2

Only UK using 6x2 units. It is something to do with weight per axle. UK laws will not let run 44t 4x2 units. EU is ok with it.

A lot more countries are 6 x 2 now Holland Belgium and most Scandinavian countries too. Holland you can run at 50 ton providing you’re axle weights are right and France has recently upped it’s weights. Think the Scandinavians run the heaviest in Europe

Dan ze Man:
All EU uses 4x2

Only UK using 6x2 units. It is something to do with weight per axle. UK laws will not let run 44t 4x2 units. EU is ok with it.

Wondered why our Daf 4x2 had 40 weight for GB and 50 tonne “design weight”

Come to think about it, can’t say I’ve ever seen a 6x2 euro truck on the roads here. All seem to have tiny wheels and different style of rear mudguards on the unit and of course the obligatory 900 or something liter fuel tank :open_mouth:

Dan ze Man:
All EU uses 4x2

mazzer:
A lot more countries are 6 x 2 now Holland Belgium and most Scandinavian countries too. Holland you can run at 50 ton providing you’re axle weights are right and France has recently upped it’s weights. Think the Scandinavians run the heaviest in Europe

I think mazzer is nearer the mark here.

Ireland is EU too :wink: Quite a few 6x2 units here now as the 3+3 gross is 46 tonnes.

6 axles = 44 / 46 tonnes
5 axles = 40 / 42 tonnes (national derogation since 2003) reverting to 40 tonnes. (1st July 2016)

EU weight limits per axle are broadly the same 10 on non-drive and 11.5 on a drive. What varies a bit is the gross from 36 over four or 40 over five to Swedish 60/64 over a B-double (and beyond)

macplaxton:

Dan ze Man:
All EU uses 4x2

mazzer:

Ireland is EU too :wink: Quite a few 6x2 units here now as the 3+3 gross is 46 tonnes.

6 axles = 44 / 46 tonnes
5 axles = 40 / 42 tonnes (national derogation since 2003) reverting to 40 tonnes. (1st July 2016)

EU weight limits per axle are broadly the same 10 on non-drive and 11.5 on a drive. What varies a bit is the gross from 36 over four or 40 over five to Swedish 60/64 over a B-double (and beyond)

IIRC the EU wanted to reduce the Max overall height for UK - Ireland cross border traffic, from the present 4.6m to the continental cross border Max overall height 4m. A lot off presure was applied by Britain and Ireland, and they got a stay off execution.

Tesco reckoned (in the article I read) that they would have to put a third more trucks between Britain and Ireland if the Double Deckers were forbidden.

Bloody EU :unamused:

dreamingofoz:

halewood:

Surely it wouldn’t make any difference. Wag n drag or artic, still be same number of axles.

It does when you park the drag up!

eddie snax:

macplaxton:

Dan ze Man:
All EU uses 4x2

mazzer:

6 axles = 44 / 46 tonnes

IIRC the EU wanted to reduce the Max overall height for UK - Ireland cross border traffic, from the present 4.6m to the continental cross border Max overall height 4m. A lot off presure was applied by Britain and Ireland, and they got a stay off execution.

Tesco reckoned (in the article I read) that they would have to put a third more trucks between Britain and Ireland if the Double Deckers were forbidden.

Bloody EU :unamused:

I think you will find that the UK was fairly silent on the height matter and that more pressure was brought to bear from the French and Spanish governments even though the UK had more to lose, another case of the UK bending over and just taking whatever the EU throws at it

mazzer:
I think you will find that the UK was fairly silent on the height matter and that more pressure was brought to bear from the French and Spanish governments even though the UK had more to lose, another case of the UK bending over and just taking whatever the EU throws at it

I’ve never seen a double decker in France and last month I did over 1500 miles driving there so the French weren’t involved.

macplaxton:

although you are correct with the 11.5t drive axle limit, the limit for other axles in continental europe is 8 tons. there are national discrepancies though, like hungary, who only allows for 10t drive axles but will fine you only if you are over 11.5t. but if you are 11501kg, they will fine you for being overweight 1501kg (counting from 10t, not 11.5), not 1kg. etc etc.

in scandinavia a twin-wheeled axle will allow for 10 tons and a 6-axle combination is good for 50t gtw (26t truck + 24t trailer)

the highest of all for now is finland with 76t gross combination weight : http://blogs.scania.com/career/2013/10/20/76-t-gtw-in-finland/

and on special permits, 33m and 90 tons:

milodon:
the limit for other axles in continental europe is 8 tons.

You’re right. (but it’s more complicated than that - when I looked up Directive 96/53/EC (Annex I, Section 3), it depends on the number of axles and how close they are.)

Conor:

mazzer:

I’ve never seen a double decker in France and last month I did over 1500 miles driving there so the French weren’t involved.

Plenty of 4m + trailers in France, spain and Portugal, nothing to do with double deckers.