Foreign Drivers Getting Away With Speeding

manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ … ter=weekly update-20090403 Liz

Who thinks they’re more interested in the lost revenue than this so called ‘putting lives at risk’?

Typical English tosh…

Police admit that the offenders - the equivalent of more than 30 a week - avoided justice because officers can’t access databases of non-British cars.

I have been pulled in probably all of the Benelux countries over the years and even before I opened my mouth they know who I should be and who the vehicle is registered to and I am going back to the early 2000’s, I even had a truck on hire for a time and got a tug in Lux, the truck was plain colour but they knew it was a hire motor before asking me so I would have thought that it would be a case of sharing info even back then.

More proof that it is one law for them and another for us, and on the road tax thing if they can not tax them they should not tax us to keep it a level play field

at the end of the day how hard would it be to e-mail all the exit ports and eurotunnel and tell them that the vehicle in question wasn’t leaving till a fine was paid,or passing the details on to all uk police forces in the UK so that it could be picked up on ANPR.

This is just pathetic.

I think, although this maybe a bit over the top, all foreign registered cars/trucks that come over to the UK temporarily, should have temporary registered GB plates that hang else where, than their original foreign plates, at all docks around the UK. Probably isn’t going to happen but I think is a good idea if government aren’t able to go under to foreign plate databases. Sounds like a bit of common sense to me though to do what I said.

The title of this thread should be aimed at the totally crap/incompetent/useless (put whatever word you like here) government we have got…Not the foreigners, yes they do speed, but don’t we all■■?
We are just to afraid to upset anybody.

Deepinvet:
yes they do speed, but don’t we all■■?

NOPE :slight_smile: - well, it depends whether you mean ‘literally’ because there is ‘speeding’ and there is ‘speeding’ :exclamation:
By speeding do you mean going over the limit and not bothering to notice, deliberately speeding or drifting just over the limit and immediately putting it right :question: :question: :question:

ROG:

Deepinvet:

NOPE :slight_smile: - well, it depends whether you mean ‘literally’ because there is ‘speeding’ and there is ‘speeding’ :exclamation:
By speeding do you mean going over the limit and not bothering to notice, deliberately speeding or drifting just over the limit and immediately putting it right :question: :question: :question:

Or just smashing it on a motorbike cos its fun, its safe, or cos it just winds up the do gooders on here… :grimacing: :grimacing:

Coddy:
… the do gooders on here… :grimacing: :grimacing:

Are they ‘do-gooders’ or just driving as they should do within the remit of SAFE, LEGAL & CONVENIENT (as poss) :question: :question:

Are the british police that stupid, They can and do
hold in a DATA base all information about these so
called speeders,Now quite simply IF THEY WANTED to
they could have put in a system where all vehicles
are run through the checking system, and the vehicles
that are caught in the DOCKS;SHUTTLE. can be dealt with
there and then, YES they will have problems ,but
they can be over come.

If you could get away with it, you would do the same as these foreigners. i can’t see a problem with it.
They are only bothered about the money, not safety. if it was a safety issue, they would ban speed cameras.

However, if they really want the whole of europe to be equal, then they will need to introduce a vehicle tax system for the whole of europe, which will keep details of every european registered vehicle. they will have also be pre-paid to use any road throughout europe.

I won’t happen, because it’s too simple and sensible.

well, it depends whether you mean ‘literally’ because there is ‘speeding’ and there is ‘speeding’ :exclamation:

Sorry Rog speeding is speeding…Anyway this was or sounded like it was going to be a ‘Bash the foreign Jonny’ again which is now very boring…Lets bash the Government instead, better fun and none of them have driven a Truck for a living either.
As other posters have said it is not hard to implement something to collect the monies at source ie the port of exit…To Chuffin easy for this bunch of !"£$%^&**()(+$% ers, (political people), they would rather increase fuel tax AGAIN and take the money from us to help bale out the poor bankers!!!
NOW IAM RANTING…better stop now!

Nothing poor about the bankers :imp:

Deepinvet wrote:

Sorry Deepinvet, not all of us speed, and if anyone has points on their licence they will not want to get caught again. Their job would be in trouble if they do get caught AGAIN. Liz

scanialady142:
Deepinvet wrote:

Sorry Deepinvet, not all of us speed, and if anyone has points on their licence they will not want to get caught again. Their job would be in trouble if they do get caught AGAIN. Liz

I like this saying Liz -
Speed cameras are funded by volunteers

I do however see the injustice if foreign plated vehicles are not being prosecuted for the same offences in the same way as those who have UK registrations on their vehicles - deffo not fair.

There is one way in which it MAY be possible in this electronic age -
Speed camera clocks non UK vehicle speeding and that registration is then on a database.
ANPR cameras at ports etc clocks vehicle and authorites alerted to stop it leaving UK - driver given option - pay fine with 3 points on ‘virtual UK licence’ or vehicle impounded. :bulb: :question:

You are missing the point.

The acess to foreing databases are gained on MUTUAL agreement. Why, for example, Polish database should be opened for British Police, if Poland can’t get any information on British-registered cars?

But off course no-one will write an article “British Drivers Getting Away With Speeding Abroad” and will not count how much Britain saves in unpaid foreign tickets :slight_smile:

orys:

The acess to foreing databases are gained on MUTUAL agreement. Why, for example, Polish database should be opened for British Police, if Poland can’t get any information on British-registered cars?

But off course no-one will write an article “British Drivers Getting Away With Speeding Abroad” and will not count how much Britain saves in unpaid foreign tickets :slight_smile:

The idea I suggested in my last post could be used by all countries

ROG:

orys:

The idea I suggested in my last post could be used by all countries

Not quite, as most of the EC countries have no borders now (don’t mention ferry terminals at the borders). You don’t even need to slow down when crossing from Germany to Holland for example, due to the Schengen rules.

I think simply sign a mutual agreement between all countries about opening their database to others should close the question.

BTW: how it’s worked when the foreign driver is stopped by the police vehicle in UK? In Poland they have to pay on the spot or to go with a police ■■■■■■ to the ATM machine or Cash Exchange place… Or they are stopped until they will be able to pay.

orys:
BTW: how it’s worked when the foreign driver is stopped by the police vehicle in UK? In Poland they have to pay on the spot or to go with a police ■■■■■■ to the ATM machine or Cash Exchange place… Or they are stopped until they will be able to pay.

the same can now be done here under the new laws which just came into force.