European drivers in the uk

I have encountered two Artics from Holland driving in the uk to being able to reach speeds of 70mph on our motorways. It really gets my back up that european drivers can come here and stick two fingers and pretty much get away with not complying with the rules and laws that we all have to work by.
Our soft touch and tread softly softly approach by the Goverment should stop worrying about upsetting the neighbours and enforce the law and make no exceptions for if we were to behave in this manner we would be delt with by the firm hand of the law make no mistake about it.
It seems to me that our goverment bodys are more like those in the Film The Life of Brian, sitting around a table never ever really sorting with the issues at hand.
For those of you who have seen that film will know just what i am on about.
There is far too much talk and not enough action.
All you FAT CATS GET YOUR FINGER OUT OF THE PIE AND DO YOUR JOB TO SORT THIS OUT :imp:
The best way to catch these two finger cloggs is to stop them before they return to Europe while there waitting in a British port and check their records WTD/ HOURS/ TACHOS and DOCS. If they have breached our law impound their lorry and let our law do the rest.
Or is that too much like hard work :question: :angry:

You, unlike many others seem not to assume this government is working in the interests of working British people like you and I.
You are absolutely right. . There seems to be a sub-plot of concession, concession,concession. From leaving the door wide open to all and sundry to aiding the sell off of much that is still profitable and clearly identifiable as ‘British’

This government is the most inept bunch of bunglers to inhabit Westminster in my lifetime. I couldn’t abide Maggie, but at least she allowed me to buy my council house. This New Labour lot have done virtually nothing in my interests since they came to power.

fox

Whilst we’re on the subject…Ban left hand drive trucks that don’t have a proper blind spot mirror. Employ someone to stand at dover next to a stall and tell them to buy one and fit it straight away or do one. Poor sod in a written off mondeo smeared up the barrier with the usual foreign truck parked further down the road with scratch on it’s bumper. Later two poor old biddy’s in a fiesta with the usual, not written off but thanks very much. WON’T ANYONE DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT AND SAVE THE BRITISH ECONOMY MILLIONS OF POUNDS PER YEAR■■? The amount of que’s i’ve sat in along with thousands of others whiles this goes on up ahead beggars belief. By the by I’ve got nothing against foereign truck on our roads I just wish they’d stop crashing into cars on the M25.

Tricky bugger aren’t they these overseas chaps . Gets on my nerves more when in tight roadwork sections they try to bombard past you at 70 odd mph when its quite clearly dangerous and impossible in some situations .
Nearly had a few scrapes in situations like that . If its too tight to overtake in roadworks i tend to leave enough room for cars and vans and thats it . I,ve nearly been into the stupid little concrete walls too many times now with foreigners and irish lads trying to make enough room .

A good while back I was stopped on a sunday morning joining the M6 at J19 from the A556 by a copper waiting in a side road just before the rounderbout,anyway he stops me just after the service station and pulls me on to the hard shoulder gets outs etc etc why you stop me I ask after he found nothing wrong,well we heard your firm uses a lot of agency driver and you know what they are like???So I say to him why did you not pull the irish trucks that fly by at over 65mph,(as they normally do on a sunday morning,in convoy)oh well that would cause a incident with the irish goverment and we were told not to pull them in.Maybe it is the same for eastern euro drivers,who knows.Although I did hear that on the A55 there was some sort of checks going on a while ago.

I think a simple way to to sort out these forigen drivers is to tax them on arrival at a british port.

I’d say £10 for every day they’re on our roads.

It would encourage them to deliver their loads in the UK & then return back to mainland Europe as soon as possible.

It would also set up a more even playing field for UK hauliers against forigen hauliers who pay no road tax & run on cheap diesel.

THEY pay no road tax or maut or vingette BECAUSE the UK goverment
did not wish to join inthe original euro-vingette,as for cheap fuel sorry it.s not that much cheaper now,and what about the UK transport trucks that bring fuel in will you wish to tax them as well,
This subject of a tax-maut-vingette HAS been brought up on this forum many times but it is the goverments job to get this passed through and as of yet no one is intrested indoing any thing about it,

brit pete:
THEY pay no road tax or maut or vingette BECAUSE the UK goverment
did not wish to join inthe original euro-vingette,as for cheap fuel sorry it.s not that much cheaper now,and what about the UK transport trucks that bring fuel in will you wish to tax them as well,
This subject of a tax-maut-vingette HAS been brought up on this forum many times but it is the goverments job to get this passed through and as of yet no one is intrested indoing any thing about it,

Uk trucks returning would not have to pay the tax as they have already paid their road fund licence.

Even if the fuel abroad was only a few pennies cheaper (it’s more than that though) the savings a 44 tonner makes running on it would be quite alot. I’d wouldn’t mind it in my wage pack each week.

There was a post from Neil about this subject. If the government introduce a tax solely for foreigners, that would be illegal, so the UK hauliers would also have to pay the same tax. Who is that going to help?

That is why the Dutch, Belgians etc still have to have a vignette and the Germans still have to pay the MAUT

Eh?! How to you get from speeding Foreign trucks to a Government conspiracy? I seen more UK trucks speeding BTW. As for Police not wanting to upset the Irish Government, that made me laugh, they do it in every other way never mind stopping speeding Irish motors!!!

The best way to catch these two finger cloggs is to stop them before they return to Europe while there waitting in a British port and check their records WTD/ HOURS/ TACHOS and DOCS. If they have breached our law impound their lorry and let our law do the rest.
Or is that too much like hard work

Ha ha ha!!

Years ago waiting to catch rotterdam ferry at hull,myself and a few more drivers were in conversation about why the uk could not enforce the vignette with 2 customs officers. They said it could not be enforced because the eu stated you can have tolls or taxes but not both.I wonder if this still applies now we have uk road tax and toll m/ways?,or is the uk haulier being ripped off once again.

Regards Dave

Wheel Nut:
There was a post from Neil about this subject. If the government introduce a tax solely for foreigners, that would be illegal, so the UK hauliers would also have to pay the same tax. Who is that going to help?

That is why the Dutch, Belgians etc still have to have a vignette and the Germans still have to pay the MAUT

Exactly Malc, under EU law a road user charge cannot be applied only to foreign trucks, it’s all or nothing.

paul’@midway, you do suprise me! Ive just read that post of yours and pmsl.this is no way a personal attack, just an observation, but are you not the same driver that stated that because you may run out of time in a day cab you would happily use a lane for cars only to pass the rest of us (roadworks m25):lol: :laughing: I cant be bothered now but if you want I’ll dig the post out later for you.Sorry mate but …priceless

Silver_Surfer:
Whilst we’re on the subject…Ban left hand drive trucks that don’t have a proper blind spot mirror. Employ someone to stand at dover next to a stall and tell them to buy one and fit it straight away or do one. Poor sod in a written off mondeo smeared up the barrier with the usual foreign truck parked further down the road with scratch on it’s bumper. Later two poor old biddy’s in a fiesta with the usual, not written off but thanks very much. WON’T ANYONE DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT AND SAVE THE BRITISH ECONOMY MILLIONS OF POUNDS PER YEAR■■? The amount of que’s i’ve sat in along with thousands of others whiles this goes on up ahead beggars belief. By the by I’ve got nothing against foereign truck on our roads I just wish they’d stop crashing into cars on the M25.

:unamused: So this is down to the lack of a blind spot mirror then. :unamused:

I managed perfectly okay to drive a left ■■■■■■ over here and had no requirement for an additional blind spot mirror. If the foreign drivers were observing the road and traffic properly then these incidents would never happen and the problem simply comes down to the fact that they’re not using their RH side mirrors enough. Blame the driver, not the tools. :unamused:

Rob K:

Silver_Surfer:

:unamused: So this is down to the lack of a blind spot mirror then. :unamused:

I managed perfectly okay to drive a left ■■■■■■ over here and had no requirement for an additional blind spot mirror. If the foreign drivers were observing the road and traffic properly then these incidents would never happen and the problem simply comes down to the fact that they’re not using their RH side mirrors enough. Blame the driver, not the tools. :unamused:

And just as a side note to the above, Neil has done the continent in a right ■■■■■■ for beards and as far as I know he’s never hit anything nor required the addition of a blind spot mirror.

Sorry for “treading on your toes” Neil - jsut pointing out a fact. :smiley:

As this has turned in to a mirror post :stuck_out_tongue:

Blind Spot Mirrors are required in Europe, Certainly all new trucks have to be fitted with them and a lot of our older ones are being retrofitted

Rob K:
And just as a side note to the above, Neil has done the continent in a right ■■■■■■ for beards and as far as I know he’s never hit anything nor required the addition of a blind spot mirror.

Sorry for “treading on your toes” Neil - jsut pointing out a fact. :smiley:

No problem Rob you are quite correct I have only ever driven a right ■■■■■■ over the water, every week for close on 17 years, and never hit anything. I only had the normal amount of mirrors, along with two eyeballs and together they worked just fine… :smiley: :smiley:

The other thing to consider is the fact that some of the blame can be put at the feet of the great British car driver, such as old biddys in Fiestas who are totally oblivious to other vehicles and have no idea how much space a truck requires. In my experience car drivers over the water have a better understanding of the situation, their surroundings and far, far better lane discipline.

So I say to him why did you not pull the irish trucks that fly by at over 65mph,(as they normally do on a sunday morning,in convoy)oh well that would cause a incident with the irish goverment and we were told not to pull them in

I find that hard to believe. A friend of mine used to drive through England every second week in convoy and was often stopped.

nige_78:

So I say to him why did you not pull the irish trucks that fly by at over 65mph,(as they normally do on a sunday morning,in convoy)oh well that would cause a incident with the irish goverment and we were told not to pull them in

I find that hard to believe. A friend of mine used to drive through England every second week in convoy and was often stopped.

Having recently done a few weeks on the night trunk to Holyhead dock I can confirm that the check point just before the Causeway gets plenty of use and plenty of IRL registered were being pulled on the nights that it was open :astonished: .

shade:
paul’@midway, you do suprise me! Ive just read that post of yours and pmsl.this is no way a personal attack, just an observation, but are you not the same driver that stated that because you may run out of time in a day cab you would happily use a lane for cars only to pass the rest of us (roadworks m25):lol: :laughing: I cant be bothered now but if you want I’ll dig the post out later for you.Sorry mate but …priceless

No that was paul@medway …
:laughing:

2 different scenarios . The M25 was an example of running out of time and if their was room .
In this thread i,m saying they still try to overtake at 70 odd mph even if there is barely any room for it .
I,m a complicated person .