European drivers in the uk

I have the dubious pleasure of being on nights this week and last doing a trunk from Leeds to Glasgow.

My rout takes in the A66 Scotch corner to Penrith Over the last two weeks I have seen some of the most dangerous driving I have ever seen in fifteen years.

Quick observations are that yes some of the ■■■■■■■■■ that are running at 70 plus on the A66 overtaking on blind bends,using mobile phones…etc etc etc are foreign drivers but If my experience of this week and last are to be used as a barometre then I have to say there are as many if not more Brits at it ,(and I include our Irish mates in the brits section).

My opinions on the following…

1. Don’t blame Johnny foreigner for the state of law enforcement in th UK it is the responsibilty of this bunch of inept ■■■■■■■■■ in westminster to sort out.

(Thats not to say I condone the foreign fighter pilots tactics on UK motorways different issue :laughing: )

2.Taxes and Mauts etc…Having just been to stopped in Germany for not having a Maut but eventualy getting it sorted because we were carrying Humanitarian aid.

There is a grey area around Maut and humanitarian aid in Germany wont go into that but needless to say The german equivelant of VOSA did not ■■■■■ foot around and I certainly did not get the impression he was too worried about upsetting Tony Blair. :wink: :wink:

I am kind of guessing that someone is also gonna raise the imigration of EU drivers into the discussion at some stage so hear goes…my rant on this is…

I was one of the first to moan about the influx of drivers taking UK work,but since having traveled to Romania and listened to some of the stories of living conditions etc in eastern europe and the absolutely appalling conditions for some of these folks I have changed my mind to a certain degree.

If Blair and party want all the trimmings of open trade etc etc then they have to have the full package open borders free movement of goods etc etc.

It is not the fault of the people looking for work that this goverment can not manage imigration and border controls.

In a nutshell if Mr Coder0 and Mrs Coder0 and the little coders were starving and wanted to enhance improve the quality of life then I would do whatever it takes,including up sticks to another country.

In conclusion I have no axe to grind with any european colleage that works hard pays his taxes and plays on a level playing field.

What I do have a problem with is scrounging lazy people who expect the rest of us to bail them out…And again in my opinion there are as many “Brits” who fall into that category as foreigners. Again who manages the benefit sysyten? you got it Blair and Party!!! :imp: :imp:

nige_78:
[quote

I find that hard to believe. A friend of mine used to drive through England every second week in convoy and was often stopped.

Who%20got%20pulled%20your%20mate%20or%20the%20whole%20convoy%20

Ok, they shouldn’t need a blind spot mirror but the mandatory fitting of these would cut the amount of these types of accidents massively.

timmis:
I have encountered two Artics from Holland driving in the uk to being able to reach speeds of 70mph on our motorways

do you own a calibrated radar?

timmis:
The best way to catch these two finger cloggs is to stop them before they return to Europe while there waitting in a British port and check their records WTD/ HOURS/ TACHOS and DOCS. If they have breached our law impound their lorry and let our law do the rest.
Or is that too much like hard work :question: :angry:

yeah, and I hope you’ll be the on-site executioner terminating the lowly lives of the foreign truckers found to have been going a bit too fast.
from the rest of your postings I see you haven’t been a driver for too long, the novices usually keep quiet and learn for a while…

timmis:
I have encountered two Artics from Holland driving in the uk to being able to reach speeds of 70mph on our motorways. It really gets my back up that european drivers can come here and stick two fingers and pretty much get away with not complying with the rules and laws that we all have to work by.

We won’t mention the amount of Brits who flaunt the rules when abroad then ?

Silver_Surfer:
Whilst we’re on the subject…Ban left hand drive trucks that don’t have a proper blind spot mirror. Employ someone to stand at dover next to a stall and tell them to buy one and fit it straight away or do one. Poor sod in a written off mondeo smeared up the barrier with the usual foreign truck parked further down the road with scratch on it’s bumper. Later two poor old biddy’s in a fiesta with the usual, not written off but thanks very much. WON’T ANYONE DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT AND SAVE THE BRITISH ECONOMY MILLIONS OF POUNDS PER YEAR■■? The amount of que’s i’ve sat in along with thousands of others whiles this goes on up ahead beggars belief. By the by I’ve got nothing against foereign truck on our roads I just wish they’d stop crashing into cars on the M25.

Saw a Brit Super Space Cab just off the Brussels ring today who had just wiped out a couple of Belgian cars despite the array of mirrors that he was displaying. Maybe it might be a good idea to stop UK right hand drive motors going abroad then ?

Vascoingles:

Silver_Surfer:
Whilst we’re on the subject…Ban left hand drive trucks that don’t have a proper blind spot mirror. Employ someone to stand at dover next to a stall and tell them to buy one and fit it straight away or do one. Poor sod in a written off mondeo smeared up the barrier with the usual foreign truck parked further down the road with scratch on it’s bumper. Later two poor old biddy’s in a fiesta with the usual, not written off but thanks very much. WON’T ANYONE DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT AND SAVE THE BRITISH ECONOMY MILLIONS OF POUNDS PER YEAR■■? The amount of que’s i’ve sat in along with thousands of others whiles this goes on up ahead beggars belief. By the by I’ve got nothing against foereign truck on our roads I just wish they’d stop crashing into cars on the M25.

Saw a Brit Super Space Cab just off the Brussels ring today who had just wiped out a couple of Belgian cars despite the array of mirrors that he was displaying. Maybe it might be a good idea to stop UK right hand drive motors going abroad then ?

Good shout Vas! If anyone thinks they can driver better because of where the steering wheel is then somehow I think, they are thinking about the wrong problems.

Saw a Brit Super Space Cab just off the Brussels ring today who had just wiped out a couple of Belgian cars

Done it myself :blush: . Only one car for me though but to my defence it was on the pereferique and it came from nowhere.

However, i now drive a left ■■■■■■ over here and i’ve found its a case of ‘swipped one once, never again’. Its just a case of defying evolution, growing eyes in the back of your head AND useing them :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

There are a hell of a lot of car drivers around here who dont realise a truck could hurt them with the way they come diving under the front corner of your bumper, they expect you to be able to see them but dont realise your sitting on the ‘wrong’ side. :open_mouth:

Lessons to be learnt on both sides me thinks.

Left or RHD , trucks have blind spots & cars will find them.

[/quote]

Do you not accept the fact that if all wrong side vehicles had blind side mirrors on by law that it would greatly reduce the number of these type of accidents? Let’s not get into silly debate here (my comment about the stall at Dover was tongue in cheek) and i’m not talking about specific driver’s skills.

Silver_Surfer You are more likely to bash something on the N/S in UK with a LHD. But I & some of my mates have also done it with RHD. A blind spot is just that. But having said that RHD is safer in UK.