Official:...Foreign truckers are getting away with offences!

Foreign truckers are getting away with drivers’ hours offences in the UK while thousands of Britons are being prosecuted, the Conservatives claimed today.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4629

Well what is the answer to this problem?

Why can’t we sort this out??

2 yes only 2 foreign drivers have been brought to book over this and I for 1 am Mad!!!

I am also not happy that over 7000 UK truckers are flouting the rules that are ment to keep all of us truckers driving to the same rules, keeping competition fair!

Article in CM today quoted VOSA

" it’s too costly to take them to court "

VOSA admitted the present system was unfair on UK operators and also said " A consultation document on a fixed penalty system involving on-the-spot fines will be published this month"

Well T.C - Pips and shoulders spring to mind.

If you are a traffic cop let’s say, in Birmingham patrolling the M6 and you decide to pull a truck, which one would it be ;

1, A U.K. Registered truck ,
2, A foreign Registered truck from let’s say Turkey. ( an example )

You pull the U.K. trucker, and if he /she has comitted an offence, a conviction/fine/fixed penalty is ’ in the bag’ .

You pull the Turkish trucker and your paper trail just gets bigger, and bigger, and bigger, untill the C.P.S. says "Forget it ".

Justice or what ?

Niall.

Niall:
Well T.C - Pips and shoulders spring to mind.

If you are a traffic cop let’s say, in Birmingham patrolling the M6 and you decide to pull a truck, which one would it be ;

1, A U.K. Registered truck ,
2, A foreign Registered truck from let’s say Turkey. ( an example )

You pull the U.K. trucker, and if he /she has comitted an offence, a conviction/fine/fixed penalty is ’ in the bag’ .

You pull the Turkish trucker and your paper trail just gets bigger, and bigger, and bigger, untill the C.P.S. says "Forget it ".

Justice or what ?

Niall.

Good point well made!!
this stinks and needs to be sorted NOW!

I have friends of mine who work in the uk on dutch registered trucks, they are supposed to return to holland at least once a month…but they dont…cos no one enforces the law…they break all the drivers hours regulations…cos no one enforces the law…they more or less can do what you or i cannot…cos no one enforces the law…they are the law…unto themselves…we all agree that its a tougher job taking them to court than it is to fine and prosecute a british truck driver…and where they will only get a fine…or banned from driving in this country, we get the fine…and endorcements…and a licence ban…but at last something is being done about it…and they will have their trucks impounded if they dont pay…good…there is also a database being set up that will affect every trucker throughout europe…so for example…if you commit an offence i germany…france or other member states…then the details will be sent to the British D.O.T…and vice versa for foreigners…although their punishments are lower than ours…in holland for example you dont get a driving ban…your licence is practically protected…but you know what the score is over here…we will get fined europe…then the details will be sent to the uk…and we will be punished again…cos we are brits…and our ministry dont like us…nor the government for that matter…so we cant win…and never will.
have a nice day

Truckyboy wrote:
[/quote]
I have friends of mine who work in the uk on dutch registered trucks, they are supposed to return to holland at least once a month…but they dont…cos no one enforces the law

I dont think there is any law that says that Bob :confused:
The reason of the EU is free trade. It means we can work in Europe and they can work here. The only two laws that may affect this are that Trucks and trailers have to be inspected at regular intervals and the equivalent of an MOT has to be done in the home country.

I pulled a Dutch Trailer when I first started driving and it only had to go back to Holland once within 365 days. When I drove for a German Tank Company we had trucks and trailers over here, serviced by a local dealer and returned to the fatherland for TUV only.

When I worked in Belgium, My normal job was 6 weeks out and 4 days off but I regularly stayed out for 12 weeks.
A large UK tank container operator put the cat among the pigeons as they tried to run Belgian Registered trucks with uk permits and trailers.

Wheel Nut:
I dont think there is any law that says that Bob :confused:

Cabotage rules - there’s been a few articles in CM about VOSA getting interested recently

Tha answer is do as they do, on the spot fines, and stiff ones, that would help stop the softness. Not long back, a Dutchman I was talking to got parked on Corley for 24 hrs, wat he did? 2 cards in the head, I told him, I would have been done to ■■■■ if it was me.

Cabotage Books finished a while ago, probably 3 years

There is nothing wrong with on the spot fines though :exclamation: