What's your thought's on these stat's

http://www.roadtransport.com/Articles/2007/05/17/127213/vosa+and+police+target+foreign+trucks+on+m4.html

Scroll to the bottom.

On there own the figures are pretty meaningless.

It says it was targeted at unroadworthy foreign trucks which means they are unlikely to be stopping the newer and cleaner looking tackle and would be why 21 of the 49 were taken of the road immediately. How do those figures stack up against a similar operation against UK registered trucks? Are the foreigners worse than the Brits or is this typical of the industry as a whole these days where ever decreasing rates leads to cutbacks in maintenance and increased pressure to break the driving hours regulations.?

Good news that they appear to be doing something about the foreign trucks that flout the law though.

I bet Truckstop News are wetting them self over this story and can’t wait to publish sensationalist headlines in their next edition. :wink: :smiley: They’ve never let the facts get in the way of a bit of scaremongering in their comic.

In my experience, although eastern Europeans in general are friendly, welcoming and helpful people, businessmen there tend to have a considerable disregard for the law and it would not surprise me if they tended to regard a country in which there is effectively no punishment for law transgression as “an easy touch”

“Don’t worry about your hours, it’s England, they can’t do anything” is a conversation I imagine has taken place once or twice over the years.

The Irish are the worst !! Great people, great place but put them behind the wheel !! My mate rang an Irish Co for a job and he asked how many hours was the (quoted) wage for, the guy said " you just do what i tell you when i ring, i don’t want any of that ‘my hours are gonna run out buisness’ " !!

The stats are a don’t really show the true picture, it just give the impression that all truck drivers and operaters are dangerous and flout the regulations.

When VOSA carry out one of these operations they target haulage companies and trucks from countries where they know there is a problem of complience with the regulations.

I went to a VOSA seminar last year and they got talking about checking foreign trucks. Basically we were told that certain countries were known to be a problem so they would get more checks. And one such country’s trucks were such a frequent problem that an official complaint has been made to thier goverment to clean up thier haulage industry.

4 prohibition notices for being over weight ! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Glad I’m on a diet :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

knight:
4 prohibition notices for being over weight ! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Glad I’m on a diet :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Yep they’re getting tough. :laughing: :laughing: