First week

Before I start I must apologise odd grammar I’m likely to use. Grammars, despite the language, have always been something I’ve never understood nor remembered so you just have to suffer and I have to hope you understand what I write :smiley:.

After studying (almost) whole autumn, winter and spring in university summer break finally came and once again I got job as a lorry driver. This is maybe the last summer for me to spent on the road as studies seems to be in such point that some office work seems inevitable in not so distant future and I’m already thinking how bad withdrawal symptoms I get :confused:. Partly because of this I asked a boss if he can offer some new type of work (at least new for me). I was glad as he had and last week I spent mostly learning how to use curtainsider and ratchet straps.

Monday:
Boss came with me for Monday so he could teach some stuff to me and he also had a car to recover from near the place we were going so he got a “free” ride. At morning we meet a yard 06.30 and headed to Port of Rauma to load 22 tonnes of 500 kg bags and about 16 tonnes well covers. After 1.5 hours we had got our load, it was secured and we headed towards the first tip.

On the bay in place where those 500 kg bags were going and ratchet straps released.

Lorry I’m mostly driving for this summer.

Then we were in hurry to reach second tip before they close which we managed to do with 30 minutes margin and with some difficulties load got off from the lorry.

Lorry is empty and last “pallets” are being unloaded from trailer.

After this boss collected his car and headed home whilst I headed to load some scrap slabs or panels which were going for recycling. I got loaded, headed to truck stop near next mornings tip and headed to sauna.

523 km driven and 12.5 hours worked.

Tuesday:
I tipped the scrap load I had and headed to sawmill to load my first load of deal plank. After bit of wondering I got those 33 tonnes of deal secured, drove about 100 km and got rid of those.

Securing my first load of deal plank.

FLT driver at ironmonger’s is unloading the same load.

Next I headed to factory producing stone wool insulation and got load going to three different customers. Two of those were in Helsinki (capital of Finland) and as I wasn’t never been inside out most ring road going past Helsinki I though this is going to interesting, which it truly was. After stopping for a sauna at one truck stop I arrived at first tip place where I parked on pedestrian walkway to avoid morning rush and began to sleep (after visiting a bar only 10 meter away from my parking place :lol). People going past me looked like they hadn’t never before seen a lorry :open_mouth: :laughing:.

I spotted this king of the road still working hard hauling dry cement every day on one of the most hilly roads of southern Finland. 60 tonnes GVW requires hard work from all of those eight cylinders :sunglasses:.

401 km driven and 13.5 hours worked.

Wednesday:

As sun almost rose behind the clouds I woke up and was glad that the police hadn’t been interested about my illegal parking.

Curtains still partially closed…

While I waited building site to open I spotted this fearsome beast crawling from the building site:

I guess this is more common sight over there than it’s over here. I’m almost moving towards second tip in this picture.

Before leaving first tip I phoned to second customer that I’m coming and said something like “There should be turning place as there wasn’t any mention in papers about rigid only -place.” “Surprisingly” answer was that he can easily turn around there with his car… :unamused:

Five pallets handballed to with help of couple construction workers and I’m ready to try to turn around.

I headed uphill and went through some winding corridor meant only for access and had at least 20 cm of space on both sides so it wasn’t even a really tight one.

Turning at the end of the corridor required a little bit of using of air suspension to prevent damage to rigid’s rear bumber and to dolly’s mudguards. Not so bad place I feared after first phone call.

Ready to unload rest of the load in place which I originally feared to have very little of space… I had thought I have to leave trailer somewhere and go only with rigid which clearly wasn’t necessary. Regrettably I haven’t any photos after unloading as it started raining quite heavily.

Next I headed to another sawmill to get a load of deal plank and after tipping those I got another load of stone wool insulation. This time only pallets so I didn’t sweat at all which wasn’t true in previous load of about 250 packets of wool loaded by hand. Despite that I headed for sauna once again at evening :smiley:.

435 km driven and 14 hours worked.

Thursday:

Waiting for tip place to open so they can point out where they want me for unloading. Again there is plenty of space to turn around as there isn’t yet any customer cars parked at the middle of ironmongers yard…

After tip I had quick local load. 34 tonnes of some powder in 1000 kg bags, tip it and again got a load of stone wool. This time it fortunately was little further away from stone wool factory so I didn’t have to spent much more than 11 hours in this “high roof” cab.

Still couple hours drive to next mornings tip. Easy journey as full load weighed only about 4 tonnes.

552 km driven and 10.5 hours worked.

Friday:

Not much to tell on this day. Tip the stone wool at the morning. Head to a sawmill for a load, drive 115 km, unload and drive 4 km to yet another sawmill to get load for tipping at Monday morning.

Waiting for FLT driver to arrive at morning.

They didn’t have any older or bigger forklift so this one had to do the job.

At first sawmill waiting for pressure to rise after securing the load.

And once again waiting for FLT driver to unload me.

276 km driven and 9 hours worked.

I think I should also apologize for posting this to UK forum despite Euro forum probably being more suitable but I think here this post gets more audience :blush: :laughing:

:smiley: excellent diary kyrbo. I think you will miss the driving very much :blush: :wink:

Nice one Kyrbo, you know I’m always interested in the Finnish view because it answers some of my curiosity about what happens at “the other end”. :wink:

Have you spotted any of Containerships motors with red boxes on there yet? They’re getting well mixed up now…The first time one of our lads loaded one we all refused to park next to it… :blush: :blush: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Kyrbo:
I got loaded, headed to truck stop near next mornings tip and headed to sauna.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

How the other half live, eh!!! :laughing:

Nightowl Truckstops - take note!! This is what we need!!

Excellent read Kyrbo, I really enjoyed it. Thank you. :smiley:

Nice pictures too. You get to drive some impressive looking equipment!!

Brilliant Kyrbo, please keep the diary’s coming through the summer.

Very interesting read!

I’d need about 15 attendants to reverse that! (about 1 less than I need to reverse my car then :blush: )

excellent and i really enjoyed the pictures.

Yes, fantastic read again Kyrbo. I really enjoy your travels, and I hope you don’t give it up for the office job!!

TC

Good stuff.

Stick to the wagons, sod the office!

I hadn’t suspected this much of comments in such a short time, but thanks anyway. I’m glad you liked :smiley:

montana man:
I think you will miss the driving very much :blush: :wink:

I know I will, but there’s still almost a year to go before office desk might be where I spent my summer so now it’s time to gather yet more memories which don’t do any good for withdrawal symptoms which will come. :cry: :unamused: :laughing:

Lucy: I saw few Containerships motors but I didn’t pay any notice about what boxes they were carrying. I try to keep my eye on them :wink:

superb read kyrbo, i have to agree with the other posts on here, think you enjoy this job more than sitting in an office!! plus you will miss waking up to them fearsome beasts in the morning :smiley:

wirralpete:
plus you will miss waking up to them fearsome beasts in the morning :smiley:

No he’ll just be working alongside them and eventually become one himself instead :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

How long is that? Looks like 80ft to me. Whats the limit for length on Finnish roads?

Sockpuppet:
How long is that? Looks like 80ft to me. Whats the limit for length on Finnish roads?

For that type of vehicle 25.25 metres or around 83 feet in English money.

Another good read and pictures as always.

Before I start I must apologise odd grammar I’m likely to use.

Your English is far better than my Finnish (ie. none). Probably everyone on here as well.
It’s well written and easy to understand, easier in fact than some of the locals who post on here.

After studying (almost) whole autumn, winter and spring in university summer break finally came and once again I got job as a lorry driver

I don’t suppose there’s any students over here working that hard when they are off from Uni.

Very good read and pics!!!

Trust me, you can do an office job and still get your ‘diesel fix’!! :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Awesome !! :smiley:

Kyrbo:
Before I start I must apologise odd grammar I’m likely to use. Grammars, despite the language, have always been something I’ve never understood nor remembered so you just have to suffer and I have to hope you understand what I write :smiley:.

That’s an excellent diary Kyrbo I can’t add to the well earned praise that you’ve already received, except to add my name to it.

However, I can comment on your grammar- it’s very good indeed.

You made that point, so I don’t think it’s too far off-topic to point out some things to the non-linguists on here. From the perspective of a native English speaker, Finnish is one of the most complex European languages to learn. The reverse is also quite amazing for us Brits to grasp. A Finnish speaker learning English is probably wondering where the catch is, because it would seem that our sentence construction is very slack when compared to to Finnish. We simply don’t have anywhere near the same number of grammar “rules” as Finnish.

On a personal note, I never quite got as far as Finland having only penetrated Scandinavia as far as Denmark, Sweden and Norway as a driver. Having heard a description of Haparanda, do you have any photos of it? I ask because I never got to see it. :cry:

dieseldave:
You made that point, so I don’t think it’s too far off-topic to point out some things to the non-linguists on here.

As a non linguist myself Dave, i was rivetted . Cheers !!!

It’s the cunning linguists you need to watch :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

TC