First week

Fantatstic read. :smiley:

Do all you guys hit the sauna at the end of the day? What a way to relax.I go to my sauna at my local gym,and you don’t want to know what it costs me per month. :open_mouth:

Apart from timber,Finland also has another world famous export…RALLY DRIVERS.

Ari Vatanen. (God.)
Hannu Mikkola.
Tommi Makkinen.
Markus Gronholm.
Markku Alen.
Etc etc.

Ken.

8wheels:
I don’t suppose there’s any students over here working that hard when they are off from Uni.

We’re not all bad :laughing:

I regularly do 12hr shifts on multi-drop (parcels and palletised freight) with 2 agencies. Although I don’t have a class1 yet so a long wheel base Sprinter is as big as it gets for me :laughing:

Quinny:

Do all you guys hit the sauna at the end of the day? What a way to relax.I go to my sauna at my local gym,and you don’t want to know what it costs me per month. :open_mouth:

Ari Vatanen. (God.)
Hannu Mikkola.
Tommi Makkinen.
Markus Gronholm.
Markku Alen.
Etc etc.

Ken.

Finland also has another famous export - Nokia phones - although most of them come from Hungaryand beyond these days.

Great diary Krybo. That is one serious truck you are driving.

Calv

Mike-C:
As a non linguist myself Dave, i was rivetted . Cheers !!!

Hmmm… I’m not quite sure about that Mike-C. I couldn’t tell whether that meant that you were agreeing with my recognition of Kyrbo’s skill with our language, or you wondered WTF I was talking about. :exclamation: In that case I’d wonder whether “rivetted” was a euphemism. :wink:

Either way up, Kyrbo had made the comment about his English grammar and I give him great respect for writing a foreign language to such a high standard. My comment was designed to cause any readers of the topic to just pause for a moment and recognise the skill involved.

I’ll give you a good explanation of what I meant, if you PM me and ask for it.

I wouldn’t like to comment further for two reasons:

1. I don’t quite understand your comment (so I won’t jump to any conclusion)
  2. I don’t believe that this forum and this post are the right place for that topic.

His english is better than mine, and my birth certificate states I was born in England :smiley:

that was a good read mate, by the lenth of the trailer I take it takes some getting use to driving it around town

dieseldave:

Mike-C:
As a non linguist myself Dave, i was rivetted . Cheers !!!

Hmmm… I’m not quite sure about that Mike-C. I couldn’t tell whether that meant that you were agreeing with my recognition of Kyrbo’s skill with our language, or you wondered WTF I was talking about. :exclamation: In that case I’d wonder whether “rivetted” was a euphemism. :wink:

Either way up, Kyrbo had made the comment about his English grammar and I give him great respect for writing a foreign language to such a high standard. My comment was designed to cause any readers of the topic to just pause for a moment and recognise the skill involved.

I’ll give you a good explanation of what I meant, if you PM me and ask for it.

I wouldn’t like to comment further for two reasons:

1. I don’t quite understand your comment (so I won’t jump to any conclusion)
  2. I don’t believe that this forum and this post are the right place for that topic.

His English is excellent, that is without doubt. Thanks for your explanation Dave, as a trucker myself i didn’t realise the skill involved until you made me pause and think about it.

Quinny:

Ari Vatanen. (God.)
Hannu Mikkola.
Tommi Makkinen.
Markus Gronholm.
Markku Alen.
Etc etc.

Ken.

You left out two of the best, my favourite Juha Kankkhunen and Henri Toivanen (RIP).

Also, those Flying Finn track boys aren’t bad, Mika Hakkinen & Kimi Raikkonen etc.

I’m well off topic but I’m blaming you for starting it! :wink:

Sorry for not answering here but I’ve been busy tramping whole week and GPRS on my phone had ceased working for some reason so that was no access to Internet during the week. I also thank you all for your comments and I’m still glad you’ve liked. I don’t promise any new diaries but you certainly will notice if I’ve got enough spare time to make one. :slight_smile:

dieseldave:
On a personal note, I never quite got as far as Finland having only penetrated Scandinavia as far as Denmark, Sweden and Norway as a driver. Having heard a description of Haparanda, do you have any photos of it? I ask because I never got to see it. :cry:

I thank you about your kind comments about my grammar. I made comment because I tend to write sentences to such form which “feels” right and in many other cases that is a very good recipe for a wrong conclusion. :confused:

I’m sorry but I haven’t been that far north in Sweden (Haparanda is Swedish town :wink:) and neither I’ve been in Tornio which is Finnish town across a river opposite to Haparanda. But as everything is possible I might visit there this summer.

Quinny:

Not every day, but if sauna is available and you’re not in enormous rush why would one be satisfied with having only a shower? :smiley: Over here sauna or at least shower are available for drivers at rather many service stations and many of those are free of charge.

Darren:
that was a good read mate, by the lenth of the trailer I take it takes some getting use to driving it around town

It takes some time, but as I’ve got nothing else to compare with I can’t say if it needs much more practice going forward than e.g. an artic. Basically that vehicle is just the same as Denby’s Ecolink reviewed at Insider a while ago. For me it took about a month or two to stop fearing of hitting something when turning and now after about of years driving (during 3+ years) I just keep wondering on how tight corners even this long trailer can manage nicely.

As someone wondered how long that vehicle is, the lorry has 7.6-7.7 metres long box and trailer is normal 13.6 metres long semi-trailer. I don’t know what total vehicle length is but it’s something around 25 metres. Length restriction in Finland (and in Sweden) is 25.25 metres like Coffeeholic already pointed out.

Good read and pics :smiley: