First week over

Hello everybody,

Now, that I have my first week over as a ‘Professional Driver’ I am somewhat disturbed and confused as to how this trade actually works.

1. I really did work 60 (SIXTY) hours dead on without having a single break.
  2. All hours paid at same rate.
  3. Treatment received is probably comparable with that to a member of a ‘Chain Gang’.

To 1. one would believe that the law clearly defines a rest period of at least 45 minutes after every 4.5 hours on the wheel. I am issued with a mobile phone and the transport manager will call me at least every 30 minutes asking about my progress. Nope, there is no hiding and butties are to be taken at the wheel. Being in control of the vehicle 100% all the time? You are kidding, right? A police officer I know told me that I will get fined for not taking any rest periods. Now, who protects me from my employer?

To 2. I am getting paid £6.75 p.h. and this rate is not going to increase under any circumstances even after a change from Class 2 to Class 1. Overtime hours are paid the same rate also. I am looking forward to any comments to this from everybody.

To 3. the treatment I did receive so far is highly suspicious and questionable. Honestly, I must have safed these people a fortune on milage and fuel since they are not even able to plan a route proper. I would have been driving for up to sixteen hours a day if sticking to their schedule which I was able to bring down to an unbelievable 9.5 hours in one instance. On the other hand I am being accused of not having a clue about my own Bank details or even my own being. Surely, this cannot be right.

I have to admit that I am a German national however, I refuse to believe that this may be the reason since we are supposed to live in a ‘Free World’. On the other hand, these people talk to me ‘Baby Talk’ you know, they way some people talk to babies to explain something. I am really sickened and upset about this all.

No, I haven’'t done anything wrong and really everything that was on my lorry for delivery has been delivered there and than. No returns, no people ‘Not At Home’ and no ■■■■-ups. No complaints from customers and everything done well ahead of time.

Was I upsetting people than? Nope, I am stiff scared to say a word because I need the experience.

My question to all of you and please answer it honestly: 'How better off would I be with British employers? I am in Northern Ireland now and am getting pretty fed-up. I am not scared of working but I think I should receive rewards of some form in future, or not? Am I being exploited and taken for a ride here?

I will try my best and hang on to this job until I finished my Class 1 license, gaining some experience on it. Would it be better for me to move back to good old England and try to get a job over there. Please, let me know one way or the other. I am living in the UK for the last seventeen (17) years now and I know where I have to place myhself but I believe that the people I am working for are driving it a bit rich.

Thanks for any kind of feedback. Take care.

Aye you do earn your money over here :wink:

RoadSailor:
Am I being exploited and taken for a ride here?

Yes, no doubt about it.

It all depens on who your driving for :question: Do they have yellow truck,s :exclamation:

There is some good ones to work for and some bad ones in N Ireland.

If you live in Enniskillen you are also close to Leitrim,cavan,Monaghan
which have plenty of Transport companies.

Hope you get it all sorted out soon
:smiley:

Karl:

I don’t quite get you, mate. I am earning money since I left school which is 34 years ago and this without missing one shabby day of my life. Also, people don’t pay me for nothing as I have to bloody work for the money I am getting. So what is your point? You are probably one of those people maintaining that ‘I do not have any rights in this country’.

I am not attacking you but I get many, many silly remarks for no reason at all.

Macs164L:
It all depens on who your driving for :question: Do they have yellow truck,s :exclamation:
:smiley:

Hi Macs,

Yes, they have the yellow trucks. You see, I am not really complaining but actually looking for some advice. This company is actually very close to where I live and that is why I will try to stick with them for some time until I was able to gain some usuable experience that looks good on my CV.

My point is that I don’t want to end up earning the same after six months or even one year. Besides, I have done my homework and did a research on ‘our’ trade which means I am fully aware about our possible earning potential as truck driver.

Anyway, I am grateful for your advice and I shall start looking around elsewhere once I feel ready. Take care, mate.

It Does not matter where you are come from If you drive a Truck in Ireland
N Ireland you will be dam sure you will go up and down the road like a
mad man to earn your money… It.,s not right but thats the way it is…
But things is going to have to change…SOON

We are all in the same boat :unamused:

RoadSailor:

Karl:

I don’t quite get you, mate. I am earning money since I left school which is 34 years ago and this without missing one shabby day of my life. Also, people don’t pay me for nothing as I have to bloody work for the money I am getting. So what is your point? You are probably one of those people maintaining that ‘I do not have any rights in this country’.

I am not attacking you but I get many, many silly remarks for no reason at all.

What i mean is that we work a lot harder for our money than most

:unamused:

[/quote]

Well, Karl. I can only agree with you because it really is very hard earned cash. No hard feelings here. I just want to probe my environment, that’s all.

Take care.

RoadSailor:

Well, Karl. I can only agree with you because it really is very hard earned cash. No hard feelings here. I just want to probe my environment, that’s all.

Take care.
[/quote]

Based on your original post it sounds to me as if your the one being ‘probed’ :confused:

CM:
Based on your original post it sounds to me as if your the one being ‘probed’ :confused:

Well, I sure know that this is the case. Still, I am interested in the opinion of the other forum members. You should have noticed that I am well aware of where I stand as I have posted this as well.

For me it’s a fairly clear cut decision. If you are happy that the money is right and your not too worried about the legal nicities then it may be for you, there are those that will happily run this way, it’s not for me to judge.

Personally I will not run bent, at all. No matter how much you can earn it will not cover the fines and the court costs.

Personally I will not run bent, at all. No matter how much you can earn it will not cover the fines and the court costs.

I would agree with that, don’t run bent and don’t speed - at the moment the only day I hit the limiter is Friday since it is an early finish !!

G

i have to agree with CM and Gazzareth on this.
its not worth running bent for any company its your
licence so YOU decide how you use it not your TM
apart from legality just think how you would feel if
you ended up killing some poor kid due to unecessary
excess speed or tiredness through lack of breaks.
dont know about you m8 but i wouldnt be able to live
with that on my concsience. :cry: :cry:

To 1. one would believe that the law clearly defines a rest period of at least 45 minutes after every 4.5 hours on the wheel. I am issued with a mobile phone and the transport manager will call me at least every 30 minutes asking about my progress. Nope, there is no hiding and butties are to be taken at the wheel. Being in control of the vehicle 100% all the time? You are kidding, right? A police officer I know told me that I will get fined for not taking any rest periods. Now, who protects me from my employer?

if your daft enough to keep the wheels turning instead of taking your required breaks then more fool you my friend. at the end of the day when the minstry (vosa) revoke your licence and your out on your arse. your employer won’t give to [zb]'s about you.

To 2. I am getting paid £6.75 p.h. and this rate is not going to increase under any circumstances even after a change from Class 2 to Class 1. Overtime hours are paid the same rate also. I am looking forward to any comments to this from everybody.

a couple of companys i know pay the same rate as overtime as normal pay. be thankfull your not on a saleried job working all those hours.

To 3. the treatment I did receive so far is highly suspicious and questionable. Honestly, I must have safed these people a fortune on milage and fuel since they are not even able to plan a route proper. I would have been driving for up to sixteen hours a day if sticking to their schedule which I was able to bring down to an unbelievable 9.5 hours in one instance. On the other hand I am being accused of not having a clue about my own Bank details or even my own being. Surely, this cannot be right.

welcome to the world of logistics my fiend where everyone thinks drivers are the skum of the earth. especially your employers :wink:

I have to admit that I am a German national however, I refuse to believe that this may be the reason since we are supposed to live in a ‘Free World’. On the other hand, these people talk to me ‘Baby Talk’ you know, they way some people talk to babies to explain something. I am really sickened and upset about this all.

most irish operaters are renown for taking the [zb] running on the limiter full time. i seen one at watford gap services and he knew the vosa men were waiting for him to leave so they could take him up to crick to scrutinse his tachos. so he sat there on the pumps for at least 45 mins whilst i had my break.

No, I haven’'t done anything wrong and really everything that was on my lorry for delivery has been delivered there and than. No returns, no people ‘Not At Home’ and no ■■■■-ups. No complaints from customers and everything done well ahead of time.

theres another problem you delivered everything they gave you on your run when you coudnt do it legally in the first place. so next time there going to expect more from you.

My question to all of you and please answer it honestly: 'How better off would I be with British employers? I am in Northern Ireland now and am getting pretty fed-up. I am not scared of working but I think I should receive rewards of some form in future, or not? Am I being exploited and taken for a ride here?

you proberbly would be better off with a british employer but theres no jobs around at the minute.

I will try my best and hang on to this job until I finished my Class 1 license, gaining some experience on it. Would it be better for me to move back to good old England and try to get a job over there. Please, let me know one way or the other. I am living in the UK for the last seventeen (17) years now and I know where I have to place myhself but I believe that the people I am working for are driving it a bit rich.

if your lucky enough to keep hold of your licence long enough to do class1

welcome to trucknet uk by the way :smiley:

jon

All,

I am sorry for being a daft ‘Newbie’. In the end I was only asking for advice and I think I got plenty. Thanks for that.

I know that I am stupid for not taking any breaks but losing my job I will not either. I am sorry to see that the law is certainly not on our side and yes, I have to fully agree with Jonboy that we are being made ‘Scum on Earth’.

In the end I can assure you all that I shall start taking my breaks from now on regardles of what my ‘Employer’ may think about it. Most important however, I need to get one point across to those who thought I would run completely round the bent for this particular employer:

I did not break any speed limits at any time or drove reckless or even drove in such a manner that I could have killed or endangered other road users. I may be a daft foreigner but I am not daft enough to lose my hard earned license for any kind of stupid employment. I am 50 years of age and have five kids and thirteen grand children all of which I love dearly. I regard myself as a responsible person and I will give ■■■■ about all you who thunder down narrow country lanes with their limiter engaged or doing 40 mph in town and villages. Speeding is not an art.

As I quoted before, I was told umpteen times before that I don’t have any rights in this country and I was told this even by a police officer who wouldn’t give a ■■■■ for my stolen property. Now for those who believe that I would bent ‘YOUR RULES’ think twice; I would not take a chance with you lot since I bloody well know where I am going to end up in the end - guilty or not. So all of you who suspect me to take iresponsible risks - just put your minds at rest as I will not be the one who is killing your child.

I feel it would be better now to close this thread since it is not in my interest to genrate hard feelings. Again, I am only new and was looking for some help, that’s all.

All the best to everyone.

Don’t take things the wrong way RoadSailor, we’re all on your side and looking after your interest…

I suspect the way your employer is running you is typical for that neck of the woods, perhaps someone would confirm ?

In the meantime I suggest that cab phone of yours could develop a fault, and you should take it easy and see how it pans out…

roadsailor

none of us here are having a go at you but running all day long without a break regardless of breaking a speed limit is the most dangerous thing you could do.

all it needs is for you to fall asleep at the wheel and you could not only end your own life but others to. :cry:

I am sorry for being a daft ‘Newbie’. In the end I was only asking for advice and I think I got plenty. Thanks for that.

no body is calling you a daft newbie my friend. theres old hands that run round like headless chickens. just dont let your employer push you.

I am sorry to see that the law is certainly not on our side and yes,

the law is on our side because if we didnt have to take these breaks all employers would take the [zb] :unamused:

As I quoted before, I was told umpteen times before that I don’t have any rights in this country

being a eu citizen of course you have the same rights as everyone else :smiley:

I feel it would be better now to close this thread since it is not in my interest to genrate hard feelings. Again, I am only new and was looking for some help, that’s all.

no hard feeling intended road sailor :smiley:

we are trying to help as regards to tachograph law. you must take these breaks becuase if you dont all that hard work obtaining your licence will be gone in a flash my friend.

all it would take is for you to be stopped by the minstry and they examine your tachographs for the week to see you have had incerficent rest breaks . if its 45 mins or daily and weekly rest and thats it big fine and maybe disqualification

with you being a newbie do you know the tachograph and working time directive laws?
have a read here

and tachograph law here

you proberbly know them but i put them in anyway

nobody wants to see you lose your licence but doing it the way your employer wants it done is wrong :cry:

I am 50 years of age and have five kids and thirteen grand children all of which I love dearly

you must be mad 5 kids i can’t cope with the 1 iv’e got :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

jon

Lol, if everything would be as easy as 1+1 I would probably sit in a plush mansion and don’t waste a thought about work. Of course the majority of you is right and I am blaming myself for being too keen. Oh man, seventeen years in Great Britain should have taught me to be more laid-back but out of the seventeen years employment I was eleven of these self-employed. Now that is when you start to work against yourself and the clock.

Of course I am aware of the current laws especially Tachograph and the infamous European Working Hours Directive. That is why I don’t want to take a chance and that is why I posted on this forum to get your advise. Btw, I personally would never agin take a chance with tiredness on the wheel. You all can trust me that I would dump the truck at the nearest suitable site and call my wife to pick me up. I near enough killed myself nodding off at the wheel of a car when I was 23 years old. It was a very, very close encounter and I know perfectly well how dangerous this can be.

I welcome myself back to the world of employment once more and I trust that most of you can teach me a lesson or two on how to take things more easy. Some already have given some very suitable advise.

Jonboy,

Quote: you must be mad 5 kids i can’t cope with the 1 iv’e got

Haha, mad you may call me and I would never ever do it again but I managed and my wife and I are able now to rest on our laurels since all our ofsprings have their own families now.

hi RoadSailor
:blush: :blush: :blush: SORRY MATE :blush: :blush: :blush:
I wasnt trying to attack you personaly in my previous
post, just trying to get my point across that just because
your boss wants you to do it doesnt make it right.
you sound like a decent bloke who has been round the
block a few times [not a daft newbie] and whilst i can
understand your need to earn a crust [we all do] you
dont have to break tacho regs to earn it.
as for the german thing you have the same rights as
the rest of us dont let them tell you otherwise :wink: :laughing: :laughing: