First week on nights out, advice

hi guys

i got my first week of nights away next week. I was just wondering weather any of the experienced drivers could give me any advice on what to do and what not to do, and also for things to look out for :unamused: .

Many thankx

alex

Just use your common sense on where you park…And enjoy it.

cheers.

whats your thoughts of parking in layby’s on busy A roads??

If a female knocks your door in the middle of the night…your Mum sent her to check up on you and tuck you in…

If you can avoid it do so, but some times you do have to park in laybys it can not be avoided, just use your common sense.
If possible always park in a msa or Truckstop.

i always used to say to myself, if there are no other trucks parked up WHY NOT.
if unsure just ask, like deepinvet says common sense. if you are empty open one door 9 times out of 10 it stops people slashing your curtians.

youngwithaclass1:
hi guys

i got my first week of nights away next week. I was just wondering weather any of the experienced drivers could give me any advice on things to look out for :unamused: .

Many thankx

alex

Look for the bunk, normally behind the seat. :laughing:

As you drive round make a mental note of cafe and decent layby’s. I personally hated MSA’s. I found my fuel book and truckstop news really good sources of info for cafe’s. Also VOSA or Highways agency have a book of UK truckstops.

i heard that opening one back door meant you wanted man company!
Buy truckers close up atlas its got all the truck stops in.
I only park in layby’s and industrial estates when there’s other trucks already parked.

Remember that you may well end up in the middle of nowhere with neither washing facilities nor a decent pub nearby.

This is a (by no means exhaustive ) list of what you might consider taking with you apart from the obvious clean socks etc.

Pack of baby wipes. OK you’ll smell like Mothercare but at least you can get clean!

Brew kit, basic stove and a small saucepan.

Tin opener.

Bog roll (actually a kitchen roll’s more versatile and just as soft) :wink:

Book, DVD player or suchlike; even the best radio gets a bit boring in the evening.

Water bottle.

Empty plastic bottle.

Torch; a rechargable one is best in my experience.

Charger for your own mobile.

You may have already gone further than this, but from bitter experience there is nothing more frustrating than parking up and finding that you don’t have the basic essentials.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the experience.

If you ■■■■ in a bottle in the night , make sure you put it in a different place to your water bottle , this will save any late-night / early morning bleary eyed taste tests :laughing:

Honestly , take a good proper bedding if you can (Duvet and sheet) , it’ll be loads more comfortable than a doss bag . And if its hot then leave the ‘bonnet’ open on the truck , it lets the engine heat escape rather than come up through the cab .

If you’re parking in a town then try to park in a busy-ish area to dissuade thieves . In fact , believe it or not , Red Light Districts can be good , where else do you get the Plod cruising past keeping an eye every half hour ?

And take a book , you’ll be bored as hell :wink:

Dont do nights out, find a job where you go home every day and kip in your own bed, thats what i suggest its a lot better.

.deleted

And dont be leaving that new sat nav stuck to your windscreen. :smiley:

Like everyone said mate find a safe place to park up if possible enjoy mate :sunglasses:

i never stop overnight in laybys that are not seperated from the main carriageway.
two reasons, with all the tramlines in the roads nowadays it would be so easy for some truck/car to hit you whilst your asleep. and the other is the cab gets blown about all night.
if you are happy doing this though its a lot better if you drop the trailer and pull forward a foot or so and then dump the air out of the tractor. stops you getting blown about.
ask the other drivers where they park up and write them down.

when you get up in the morning make sure you have a walk around the truck,
check your pin, your load ,lights (some scum nick em) number plates,diesel etc. dont just fire it up and drive off. i see a lot that do.

All what the others have said , good sound advice…

Phone home every night your away , and tell them where you have parked , that way at least someone knows possibly of your whereabouts --albeit your boss /wife/girlfriend / friend /co habit/ whoever ?
(even a one minute “I love you” keeps good relations) though whether the Boss reciprecates is another matter :laughing:

Make it that your at least 1/2 hr up and out of cab walking around [zb] /shower /shave cup of tea + brekky and routine safety checks prior to you departing.

duvet, bed sheet, towel, flannel, soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, babywipes, washing up bowl, portable tv , dvd player +dvds , sat-nav, large scale map with bridge height markings. Alarm clock x 2, torch (battery/windup) , good set of jump leads. Knife / fork/spoon teaspoon , teatowel, bog-roll, kitchen roll , 25 ltr water container filled fresh water min, kettle , gas cooker(2ring portable), spare gas cannister , 2 x mugs, coffee, teabags, sugar, can opener, bottle opener/cork screw, multi-tool, 1/2" paintbrush for dusting cab. cloths /mr Sheen , lighter+ matches.
Strong black binliners , empty plastic 2ltr bottle(wee), Spare clean work clothes. Spare clean casual clothes (for going out in ) , spare boots/shoes /trainers. hi-viz jacket , good coat… doedorant (lynx).
Tinned food , drinking water, Milk, plate, bowl for cereal, + cereal, cooler box 12volt. cooking pans + frying pan. washing up liquid.
mobile phone charger , books , sunglasses and swimming shorts.
Wooden chock to drive one wheel up on - - to tilt cab if grounds not level or you want to sleep higher one end.

Dispose of your rubbish properly in an appropriate waste disposal bin.

Always , Always use common sense in where you are parking up for the night, if empty open n/s door on trailer , if loaded park somewhere more secure or near a security point in a lit area.

For future reference, “crap” is allowed. L. :wink:

Trux…where do you put load with all the gear you carry there isnt room for anything else…lol

I used to tramp around Europe for weeks on end and never took all that stuff… :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

:laughing: Ive tramped all round europe lads , and boy was i glad of it .
Seriously though , you can never be prepared , something will always catch you unawares :laughing:

Oh ! and dont forget your sleeping bag,
mine was a brunette who made excellent coffee , never complained when helping to fit the snow-chains and she didnt snore either :laughing:

But at least i made an honest woman of her , and she still makes good coffee . :slight_smile:

A little tip for early starters going to Germany,
take some family packs of `Walkers crisps’ they love them,and ile guarantee you get a swift tip/reload.

Mr B:
i heard that opening one back door meant you wanted man company!

An urban myth :exclamation: , to the un-itiated .
Unless of course your parking in a laybye near Newport for some strange reason :question:

didster7:
f you are empty open one door 9 times out of 10 it stops people slashing your curtians.

Aha! so that’s the reason,
I’d been meaning to ask for a while now why people did that.