Nights out and truck stop websites

Hey all,

Been in my 1st job for a few months now and it has been a steep learning curve. Just started doing nights out, not really been given much info from the place I work for about staying out. They just tell me where to stay when I finish, however last place I stayed was just on an industrial estate. I felt safe enough there after I eventually found where all the other truckers where sleeping and plenty of us.

The problem I had was the lack of facilities, was just wake up, no toilet or shower and straight to work smelling and looking like a tramp. I would rather bite the bullet and just pay to stay somewhere, if i can avoid the expensive services. I have looked at a few truckstop sites and most reliable and upto date one seems the highways agency one. It is all new to me and is hard to plan as I never know what area I am expected to stay in due to not finding out where I will be starting work the day after until late on.

Just wanted to see what thoughts you guys had on the topic and any advice. Seems quite a few good truckstops on there, only thing I am worried about is turning up late at night and the place being full and having to find somewhere else and being near the end of driving hours etc. Any tips on how you all plan etc. appreciated. Surely i am not asking for too much to be able to stay somewhere with a toilet and a shower, it is the 21st century lol

thats a tricky one pal,youll have to get to know where all the truckstops are.you dont say what youre driving or carrying but if im empty ill doss anywhere then take a shower in a truckstop when the morning rush has quietened down.i also carry a bowl for a kwik wash at night and some emergency food.if im loaded im expected to stay in secure parking{not motorway services},it is a ball ache at first but it will become easier once you get to know the best parking spots

Alway carry bowl & plenty water so can have a wash also do own self catering so it dont matter where I stop then at some point in the day ( normally on a break stop at a services or truckstop & have a shower ) also a" bad hair day cap " :laughing: :laughing:

It will become easier the more you do it

You can heat enough water to fill a small bowl forra wash by placing a gallon container right by the
hot air outlet from the night heater. Half an hour will do the trick. Toilets might have to be
improvised so careful positioning when parking up is helpful. And put it all in a bin.

Wet wipes and 30 years experience :laughing:

dont be frighten to ask on here given a bit of warning well have u sorted

Wheel Nut:

Defo those are a must but best kept in fridge :laughing: :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

This is a priceless bit of kit - wet wipes are the bees knees :smiley:

cheers guys,

I finished in st Neots and had a start the next day in redditch. My place recommended some industrial estate in huntingdon, but I used the highways agency website and made it up to Lincoln Farm cafe in solihull. Turns out my place pay for drivers staying there,they give £8 back, if it is a place they know and think is safe, from what I can gather. £12 to stay £3.50 food voucher, great showers and facillities. Made staying out a lot more pleasent experience being only my third night out after me refusing to stay on an industrial estate again with no shower or toilet.

I am finishing in salisbury tomorrow, and depending, time I finish, driving hours left and where I sm starting day after I will head for there again, if not been looking at a place called hideaway truckstop in chippenham wiltshire. A few places but some dont have many places and dont want to get there and find its full. Seen a few by bath,hillside cafe and nunney catch cafe etc.

Wet wipes a must :smiley: there is a handy ‘truckers’ handbook available from high street book shops/web, by a female author which has a usefull list of truck places & facilities & phone numbers for all over the country, may be helpfull to get you started :wink: :smiley:

I picked up a book over xmas called ‘the truckers handbook’ but have already been criticized as it is out of date but at least it gives some options and help where before you had less.