Any advice & tips for first night out?

Hi Guys & Girls,
I’m doing my first night out tomorrow night and was looking for advice on parking up etc.
Also as a female driver if there are any other precautions i should take?

I’m driving from hertfordshire to glasgow, so any truck stops to avoid or the better ones to use?

Thanks

Jo.x

depending how far you can get, Lesmahagow is a good truck stop and they have female facilitys as far as im aware.

The only bit of advice I could give you is to only park where you feel safe, make sure there are other people parked.

Hope this helps

Potter

I agree, Lesmahagow is a good truckstop, good food, showers ect, there is also Lockerbie truckstop off at J17 (?) is another reasonable one.
Just make sure that where you park is relatively well lit.

Ive never stopped at Lockerbie but Lesmahagow is a good truckstop, theres always Truckhaven at Carnforth if its on your way up?

I tend to avoid parking in truck stops or msa overnight I will use there facilities then move on to a lay by or a industrial estate where I feel safe

As soon as I park up I pull my curtains then nobody knows who is in the truck

ang

get a nameplate made up (polski style) that says STABBER, and put it in the windscreen!

There’s always the “racecourse” just before Gretna, small and friendly. Or Gretna MSA, good tv reception and a nice view from the coach park :laughing:

Can you not park at your drop ? easily done in one hit from hertfordshire

MissDruscilla:
Also as a female driver if there are any other precautions i should take?

Advice as above.
BTW, depending on which type of female driver you are, I’d advise you to lose any cuddly toys from the dash.
Oh, and pink curtains are a bit of a giveaway, so I’m afraid they’re out too. :wink:
Good luck on your trip, and is there any chance of a diary please :question:

beattun:
get a nameplate made up (polski style) that says STABBER, and put it in the windscreen!

Works fine till you park up in Brighton! :wink:

MissDrusilla, best advice I was given was “take what you’d need to go camping, except the tent”.

Don’t know how much kit you’ve already got, but here’s a few tips FWIW.

Forgive me if I’m “teaching your granny to ■■■■ eggs” but if you’ve not done a night-out before it’s no good sitting in a dark layby wishing you’d brought so-and-so with you, this is a basic essentials which you’ll add to as you go on.

1. Make sure you’ve got a good powerful torch; one of those rechargable jobs which plugs into a ■■■-lighter socket is best. Loads of light and you’re carrying something big and lumpy in your hand when you have to get out of the cab after dark.

2. Big pack of baby wipes. You won’t always park somewhere with running water available. Take a kitchen roll too.

3. Brew kit. My choice is one of those flat-pack stoves which use the “aerosol” type cartridge. Small saucepan (more versatile than a kettle) a thermal mug and a spoon. 2 litre bottle of water, the “makings” and you’re set. Milk sits on the top step on my Volvo, no need for a fridge for the odd night this time of year.

All the rest is pretty obvious; one other thing make sure you know how to work your night heater, some of them today seem to need a degree in computer programming to set them!

Thanks for all the advice.
I will probably stop at Lesmahagow on my way up as who i’m driving for has reccommended there as well. My drop is at a hospital on thursday morning.

I definately don’t have pink curtains (Unless they are standard fit on a MAN) and there are no cuddly toys on the dash.

I think I have the basics covered. I carry everything other than the kitchen sink around with me on a normal day run.

I’ll let you know how i get on once i’m back on thursday.

Jo.x

MissDruscilla:
Hi Guys & Girls,
I’m doing my first night out tomorrow night and was looking for advice
Jo.x

Take your favourite male (or female if you are that way inclined) with you :question: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

PM sent

i can recommend the ladies showers at lesmahagow :blush: . there alot better then the blokes get :smiley: . decent food and a good safe nights kip :sunglasses: .

when you pull in see the bloke and tell him what time your away in the morning otherwise you could end up stuck between trucks until there departure time :unamused:

jon

Red moss knocks spots of lesmahagow and its only 15 mins down the road

showers,great food the staff are superb only stopped there once but if im ever up that way again theres only one place im gonna go and it aint lesmahagow

I was interested what the guys had to say !

I found it felt safer to be in services under the lights in this country. The layby on the side of the road not so nice. Take a large necked bottle with you with a lid (we know what this is for) then you dont have to get out of the cab overnight at all. The men use their empty water/drink bottles but we have to find the alternative.
Rest of it as they say is all good advice. And if it gets cold stick your woolly hat on (but dont get seen by those rufty tufty boys in the morn!)

Funnily enough I have seen more soft toys and fancy curtains in the mens trucks than any lady drivers I have met! Now does that tell you anything.

Lots of luck

Don’t forget the 7 inch long pink cylindrical thing, according to Lucy you keep your toothbrush in it.

Donna:
I was interested what the guys had to say !

… Take a large necked bottle with you with a lid (we know what this is for) then you dont have to get out of the cab overnight at all. The men use their empty water/drink bottles but we have to find the alternative.

:open_mouth: That’s only because you lack an aiming device…:grimacing: :laughing:

Donna:
Funnily enough I have seen more soft toys and fancy curtains in the mens trucks than any lady drivers I have met! Now does that tell you anything.

Yes Donna, it tells me that your powers of observation are spot-on :laughing:
But I’ve no idea why some of the guys have a need for fancy curtains :confused:
:wink: To find our more about this, you might TRY THIS TOPIC :grimacing:

Hey Jo, hope your night out went ok?

Paul x

Dru,

the advice I would give any driver on their first nights out other than what has already been said.

1, if you do end up in a layby (shock Horror some MSA’s are full) make a note of where you are junction etc. etc. and right it down. In the very unlikely event you need to phone plod you will have all the info to hand (its amazing what you forget if the situation arises) Also check Mobile battery and signal strength. This point is even more useful in Europe.

2, do not take up the practice of strapping doors through the interior handles, yes in hinders cab entry but it also makes it very difficult to get out should you have a cab fire.

3, if you are nervous first couple of nights out these can also deter unwanted visitors and put your mind at rest.
a) always park cab to other cab in the MSA or park and try not to get on the end, a nod to the other drivers when you pull up and they will see your a lady and contrary to popular belief 99% will keep an eye out for you.

b) TV’s are good for boredom but also to leave on (volume off) close the dividing curtain or where an eye mask. The flickering makes it look like you are up and alert not what the general scumbags want to see.

c) Buy a personal attack alarm, handy for in the cab and walking around the MSA. (personally think they should be issued by all responsible firms together with cab alarms + gas detectors)

4, Remember although incidents are on the increase in the UK they are still very rare so sleep tight safe in the knowledge that a sounding of the trucks horn will have other drivers running as 80% will be wandering around having a ■■■ anyway :open_mouth: :slight_smile:

Have fun!! :smiley:

Don’t leave us in suspense, how did it go?