First day 3/10/2008 anewbie on the road

Well I did the rounds of the agencies on DVLC sending my licence back. I think i’m now booked with 6 in and around Northampton on the 2/10/2008.

Sitting at home thinking what have i done!!, left job end of September. Well the phone goes ‘are you available for 0600 tomorrow’ am I!!! :laughing: Details where given, followed by yours truely shooting across to TruckKing to get some gloves and a few other bits. Just get back and another ones asking can i do friday!!! Just like buses!! :open_mouth: Realize this could just be the give him work for few weeks then drop him to normal times! but i can take this :smiling_imp: .

Alarm goes off at 4:40 !! blinking heck !! Drove the 35 miles to the yard near Kettering . 0545 Gruff female 'yours is at the back right there’s the keys and your pickup and drops points!, asked for some tacho’s and got a snarl!! Well my mount was an old Volvo FM12 ‘T’ plate. Tacho in ingtion on then do the checks Checked the lights with the aid of the Glass in the building, transport me kit into the cab and off, First stop Wakefield (in gods county).

Took the A14, A1M route to M62 ,M1 1 jtn and off. Trip wasn’t bad. found the place easy enough. (would have been easier if I hadn’t forgot me sat nav :blush: )

Loading takes 1 1/2 with taking a break. Then back down to Bedford, Luton Northampton. M1 , M18, A1M. A6 M1

High points- I’ve started in a new career. Didn’t kill,maim or damage nowt, got the job done in ruffly the same time as their guys do. learnt awhole lot of new things.

Low points - (zb) side curtain jammed had to use pallet truck to move pallets to the other side of the wagon. Warning light on intermittantly on way back (faultly connection).

On way up to Northampton got a call asking can you do Saturday ? said sorry got family matters to sort, ok for rest of week thro■■?

Remember it ain’t silly to ask if unsure, or you don’t know!!!

Well pleased, sore, tired and achy this morning, but still got a smile wider that a Cheshire cat. Only kissed one kerb all day and fluffed two gear changes.

My thanks to Wiseknight the training school i used. Can not speak more highly of them, for putting up with my sense of humour and getting me thru the test.
wiseknight.com/

For the company i drove for yesterday for giving me a chance.

For finding this site and all the helpful souls on here.

Only one question:- When did the highway code change :question: the bit that allows BMW’s and 4x4’s to go through red lights, i almost had to clean the drivers seat when i got back to the yard. Not once but three times in the day!!! :imp: :unamused:

regards
Paul

Snowdog:
Only one question:- When did the highway code change :question: the bit that allows BMW’s and 4x4’s to go through red lights, i almost had to clean the drivers seat when i got back to the yard. Not once but three times in the day!!! :imp: :unamused:

Welcome to the real world of truck driving - you are now seeing what you did not see before as a car driver :exclamation: :exclamation:

I’m glad you enjoyed your first day - may there be many more :smiley: :smiley:

Well done Snowdog!
Stu

Well Done Snowdog Just remember to get a good torch the head light ones are good cause you’ll need it in the winter. Also the gloves you got, It’s worth spending a few extra quid on a pair thats lined they dont fall apart so much. good thing to do is have your flask all ready before you go to bed then its pop kettle on and top up drop it in your bag and away you go, oh yeah put a spare pair of gloves in your bag and grab some extra tachos from any and everywhere.
Again WELL DONE

Nice one. :smiley:

Keep it up. From now on you’ll learn a lot sometimes the hard way.
Good luck mate.