Fire Extinguishers

heard a rumour that all fridge freezer vehicles must carry a fire extinguisher - new law apparently? cant find anything on HSE website anyone else know about this??

Cheers

sod that run if it,s on fire :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

We have them in our cabs at DHell/Ex-Hell but we arent allowed to use them because we have had no training…

Besides if you do ever use them, make sure its “within company guidelines”

A mate of mine on the buses put a car fire out for a woman with some kids in the car. The company tried to charge him for the usage! :confused:

Typical organisation ■■■■■■■■ eh

At my last place I was sent an extinguisher with the little cabinet type box to put it in back in about June, even though I had explained to the H&S man that there would be no room to fit one of these and to supply the under body chute type instead. It never did arrive.

But then the same H&S man had an engine fire in his van but had the wrong type of extinguisher to deal with it.

demonbiker:
heard a rumour that all fridge freezer vehicles must carry a fire extinguisher - new law apparently? cant find anything on HSE website anyone else know about this??

Cheers

It is common sense to carry a dry powder extinguisher in a vehicle anyway because it can be used for both fuel and electrical fires, the most common on vehicles but I cannot see why it should be targeted specifically at fridges, I would always try at least to combat a unit fire if I could without endangering myself.

Firstly the biggest priority in any dangerous situation is not to put yourself in there and make things worse by becoming a casualty and I am ■■■■ sure I am not going between cab and fridge in such a confined space to fight a fridge unit fire, I’d take steps, bloody big ones in the opposite direction, beside unles you un-couple you would not get the fridge front panel open on most units.

If the fire is in the trailer, which is even less likely given the atmosphere in there, then let it burn, turn the fridge off in an attempt to starve it of oxygen and call the fire services, don’t open the doors. I would in this case if I thought it safe-ish to do so, drop the trailer and save the unit.

CM:
turn the fridge off in an attempt to starve it of oxygen and call the fire services, don’t open the doors.

If you are carrying bacon and there is a passing bread truck it’s gonna be awfully tempting to open the doors for a few nice crispy rashers. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:

CM:
turn the fridge off in an attempt to starve it of oxygen and call the fire services, don’t open the doors.

If you are carrying bacon and there is a passing bread truck it’s gonna be awfully tempting to open the doors for a few nice crispy rashers. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

I sometimes carry both at the same time, job sorted, park up and start flogging them cut price. :laughing: :laughing:

I just found a pack of bacon in the freezer, I bought a box off DBC when I worked there about this time last year.

I remember having a fire extingusher in a cab many moons ago . The pin had jiggled out whilst i was driving . Upon stopping and leaning over to get my sandwiches i had to lean on the fire extingusher which was mounted between the drivers and passenger seat area . Whilst doing this i set the ■■■■ thing off and ended up with that dry powder stuff everywhere .

Talking of fires.

My girlfriend set fire to the bloody kitchen a few year back.

Frying bacon :open_mouth:

If I recall rightly, fridges have to carry an extinguisher abroad because of the fuel tank. Don’t make sense to me when you got huge tanks on the unit. That said when I have been stopped over the water, I have never been challenged about not carrying one and I am sure the Gendermes would not miss the chance to fine me for it … so that could be something else to add to the Urban Myth thread.

Just veering off for a moment … on the subject of carrying an extinguisher and putting the ‘fire’ out if need be. Last but one trip, I bought a ‘salvage load’ back from Spain. Basically, a colleague was taking a full load of Carling Lager down to Portugal. The trailer caught fire down near Madrid and I was called in to bring what was left of the load back. It was only 46 barrels short PMSL.
Now when I got back to the UK after all sorts of Customs problems (reimporting an duty free export load), I was asked to take the load to the haulage firms yard for the Insurers benefit. When I got there, the driver who had been taking it down was there and it turned out, I knew him well. I had been trying to work out what had happened, thinking of clowns going down mountains on the foot brake, and he duly explained.
The hub on the n/s middle axle had collapsed!! He noticed the flames and jumped out, like a true hero, with his extinguisher and got underneath spraying this huge extinguisher everywhere. Only he wasn’t quick enough. While under there, two tyres and an airbag exploded, knocking him out and the air blast was enough to strip his shirt and trousers off!!! He said it was only because a Pedro driver actually saw them explode and knew he was under there, therefore jumping out and dragging my pal from under the truck that he wasn’t seriously injured!!

So learn a lesson!!! If your trailer is on fire then ■■■■■■ let it burn!!!