Fuck me they now want us too be firemen

Turned up too work too be presented with a few items they now want putting in cab , one being a fire extinguisher :exclamation: :unamused: what do I want that for :question: , fairly obvious if truck catches on fire it will help you extinguish it :unamused: , I’m a bloody driver not a fireman :unamused: , you keep the bloody thing and I’ll ring up fire brigade / you from a safe distance away :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: you’re not even prepared too try and put the fire out :question: , no it’s not my job and I’m not putting my health and safety at risk for a scabby old daf :exclamation: .
how much training do firemen do too do there job :question: , yet they expect too chuck us a fire extingusher and put the fire out with no training , jobs gone too bloody pot :unamused: :smiling_imp:

Those little extinguishers that come from diy shops are useless for fighting a vehicle fire. I reckon you might knock out a wheel fire, but that’s about it. Unless a load of you come across a burning car, all armed with extinguishers, then your chances of rescuing someone are still pretty low.

Can be useful to be honest.

Many years ago I worked at Shepherds distribution based in Sheffield and was going through Tintwistle near the houses not going very fast as there were loads of traffic as normal at that time of the day. I noticed in my nearside mirror some smoke coming up from somewhere. Initially I though it was a coal fire from a house then I noticed a flame from the back of the cab. I looked and thought about it and dithered, then realised :open_mouth: :open_mouth: ■■■■

Hazards on and out (at this point the fire was well under way and smoke was covering the road) I was out with extinguisher and directed it straight at it from the top. Thick black smoke and powder everywhere :open_mouth: I was scared and had houses on both sides and just reacted and did ‘something’ rather than ‘nothing’! Fortunately I caught it at the right time and managed to drag the burning sheet away eventually. I reckon another few minutes and the cab itself would have been under threat and heat would have prevented me from being close enough,

If I hadn’t got an extinguisher on that occasion by the time the fire brigade would have arrived the cab WOULD be in flames and houses would have been at risk!

Turns out it was from my sheet which was resting on the exhaust which was not where I left it and simply didn’t notice where it was when I did checks, the heat caused it to ignite into flames.

They can certainly be very useful, when you hit someone over the head with them :wink:

■■ hell, you’d moan about a day off.

I’ve got 3 extinguishers. Just check they are in date, give them a shake every Monday morning , check the pressure and crack on.

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

you have a crash, stuck in your cab and its starts to burn. You’d be crying for someone with a fire extinguisher to be passing by. really not something to moan about is it??

m_attt:
you have a crash, stuck in your cab and its starts to burn. You’d be crying for someone with a fire extinguisher to be passing by. really not something to moan about is it??

Hence why some people should be hit with them :wink:

dozy:
Turned up too work too be presented with a few items they now want putting in cab , one being a fire extinguisher :exclamation: :unamused: what do I want that for :question: , fairly obvious if truck catches on fire it will help you extinguish it :unamused: , I’m a bloody driver not a fireman :unamused: , you keep the bloody thing and I’ll ring up fire brigade / you from a safe distance away :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: you’re not even prepared too try and put the fire out :question: , no it’s not my job and I’m not putting my health and safety at risk for a scabby old daf :exclamation: .
how much training do firemen do too do there job :question: , yet they expect too chuck us a fire extingusher and put the fire out with no training , jobs gone too bloody pot :unamused: :smiling_imp:

When you say the jobs “gone to pot” - Do you mean that you are smoking far to much of the stuff■■? Mate you really need to get a life

How often are lorry drivers first on the scene? I have been the first driver at 2 major crashes in my 7 years driving. First aid should be compulsory cpc training, fire extinguisher and defibrillator shud be in every cab.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

bubsy06:
How often are lorry drivers first on the scene? I have been the first driver at 2 major crashes in my 7 years driving. First aid should be compulsory cpc training, fire extinguisher and defibrillator shud be in every cab.

I’ve been first aid trained and defibrillator trained when I was a security guard. It was part of my job description and I was happy to do it.

But as a driver? No thanks. More kit and more paper to carry round and to be “caught out” with for not keeping in date.

I would give a lot more than inconvenience to save a life, even my own.
Some selfish ■■■■■ about.

sinclair89:

bubsy06:

I’ve been first aid trained and defibrillator trained when I was a security guard. It was part of my job description and I was happy to do it.

But as a driver? No thanks. More kit and more paper to carry round and to be “caught out” with for not keeping in date.

Wow really?
We do ■■■■ all for a living, there is almost always a lorry near a crash, if we are trained in first aid etc then maybe we might save some lives and increase our credibility

bubsy06:

sinclair89:

bubsy06:

Wow really?
We do [zb] all for a living, there is almost always a lorry near a crash, if we are trained in first aid etc then maybe we might save some lives and increase our credibility

Whilst I can see where your coming from in regards to having this extra training and extra kit, it just won’t happen.

1. Companies won’t be willing to take the chance of one of their drivers attempting to help and it go wrong.

2. not every one would be able to help, people react different to the situation put in front of them. So there’s no guarantee a driver will jump out and help.

Our job is not hard and If I saw some one in some forms of trouble is would like to think I would be able to react in the right manner. But it is also a person’s right to say they don’t wish to be first aid trained if they don’t feel they would be confident or competent.

My original statement may have seemed as being selfish or being a ■■■■, but we can’t be responsible for every one on the road. We can only do so much.

drivers drive.if you want to get involved then by all means do so,but it shouldn’t be compulsory nor should you be made to be trained to do so.if it suited me to use a fire extinguisher,then I would do so at my own discretion,trained or otherwise id attend to someone in a crash at my own discretion depending on the scenario at the time.

Brilliant stuff, nah let the motor burn out.

Next post by our hero…got no motor cos it caught fire, now i’m laid off, boo hoo.

Bloody Norah.

dozy:
Turned up too work too be presented with a few items they now want putting in cab…

…to go with the cabbage they’ve already got in there.

Just thinking dozy, you don’t drive a red wagon with blue lights on the roof that makes a sort of nee nah nee nah noise sometimes do you?

Don’t be a fireman then ,take the fire extinguisher and if you don’t want to use it then don’t ,simple as that ,don’t come on here and ■■■■■ …You come across as a drama queen always looking for something to moan about or should I say troll…■■?

Drift:
They can certainly be very useful, when you hit someone over the head with them :wink:

could be very handy to have near at hand if someone was trying to get into the cab in the middle of the night - and no arguments to why you should have one with you.

dozy:

Thank you please.