Fined for not carrying digi card!

A mate of mine was fined £200 today for not carrying his digi card :open_mouth: hed had been to load a trailer @ Sheffield in his own unit and returned to the yard of the bloke hes subbying for and collected 1 of his trucks and was on route to load again @ sheffield when he was pulled by vosa into Wodhall services and was asked to provide digi card and tachos to which he had neither as the tachos were in his own truck(the bloke he was subbying for brought his tachos to him which saved him gettin a £200 fine)but cos he hadnt got his digi card on him he was fined £200 :cry: he has never even used the digi card in the 2 years hes had it :exclamation: he was only doin it for a favour :angry:

I knew you got a fine but i didn’t know it was as much as that!

Yes, if you have been issued with a digicard then you have to carry it.

i didn`t know this but as he was telling me it made sense :wink: glad i carry mine with me :smiley:

you even have to carry it when doing the weekly shop or out for the day at the coat etc, as if you get a routine tug in one of those joint traffic cop/vosa bbq’s , they check their records and you cant produce your digi wham bham thankyou mam £200. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

ive hardly used mine since ive had but always carry it. to be fair though you have to provide proof of driving on your card or tacho’s.

Why do we bother.?The phrase go catch some criminals comes to mind.

Cruise Control:
you even have to carry it when doing the weekly shop or out for the day at the coat etc, as if you get a routine tug in one of those joint traffic cop/vosa bbq’s

That sounds very much to me like another MMTM drivers myth.

Paul

repton:

Cruise Control:
you even have to carry it when doing the weekly shop or out for the day at the coat etc, as if you get a routine tug in one of those joint traffic cop/vosa bbq’s

That sounds very much to me like another MMTM drivers myth.

Paul

i know…i just made that up :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

This rule is a bit daft

If you have a digicard that has not been used for 28 days (or never been used at all) you have to carry it BUT you do not have to carry analogue charts over 28 days old…

good old vosa :unamused: if this was the police and they had caught a criminal and needed proof of id im quite sure they would go around to house to get it.

what gets me is that youve been honest with them and they have shafted you.

what would happen in this sceanario if you said " the card was faulty and you posted it this morning"
you would have saved £200.

in this country honest folk get shafted.

You don’t need to carry the digital tacho card if you are going to the coast for fish and chips, unless you are driving a coach or lorry.

Rog. Unscrupulous employers and drivers may well be doing a midnight shift, the digital card holds up to a years information, the law requires you to carry records for 28 days. Even if the card is downloaded, the information stays on the card, it isn’t deleted.

£200 fixed penalty is correct, the offence is: FAIL TO PRODUCE TACHOGRAPH RECORD SHEET(S), DRIVER CARD OR PRINT-OUTS AT THE ROADSIDE
— DRIVER

dave:
good old vosa :unamused: if this was the police and they had caught a criminal and needed proof of id im quite sure they would go around to house to get it.

what would happen in this sceanario if you said " the card was faulty and you posted it this morning"

You would have completed the form D777 and I would have kept a photocopy, even if not I would have covered my arse by reporting the malfunction as instructed on the application form.

You must tell us immediately if your card is lost, stolen, damaged
or is malfunctioning. You should phone us on 0300 790 6109.

Wheel Nut:

dave:

You would have completed the form D777 and I would have kept a photocopy, even if not I would have covered my arse by reporting the malfunction as instructed on the application form.

You must tell us immediately if your card is lost, stolen, damaged
or is malfunctioning. You should phone us on 0300 790 6109.

good old trucknet, learn a new thing everyday. :smiley:

ive had malfunctioning cards and sent them off and have kept a photocopy just incase but as far as i know i did,nt report it but this was a couple of years ago. that said if you had sent it off with no photocopy and you had,nt notified them then could they still prosecute ■■?

ROG:
This rule is a bit daft

If you have a digicard that has not been used for 28 days (or never been used at all) you have to carry it BUT you do not have to carry analogue charts over 28 days old…

Yes, essentially that’s it. I have had one for three years and have only used it twice, the last time over two years ago but I still have to be able to produce it because VOSA know I have it when they stop me.

Incidentally, as I understand it a driver is legally required to both carry 28 days of charts and hand his charts in within 21 days…

dave:
that said if you had sent it off with no photocopy and you had,nt notified them then could they still prosecute ■■?

Yes, because one of the things you must do is notify them. They asked the guy in the OP to produce his digi card because they had checked the records and knew he had one. If you had reported a card as lost, stolen or malfunctioning then that would also be on the record so they wouldn’t be likely to ask for it.

Harry Monk:

ROG:
This rule is a bit daft

Yes, essentially that’s it. I have had one for three years and have only used it twice, the last time over two years ago but I still have to be able to produce it because VOSA know I have it when they stop me.

Incidentally, as I understand it a driver is legally required to both carry 28 days of charts and hand his charts in within 21 days…

42 days, counting from the day after the last date on the chart. It changed a while back.

Wheel Nut:
Rog. Unscrupulous employers and drivers may well be doing a midnight shift, the digital card holds up to a years information, the law requires you to carry records for 28 days. Even if the card is downloaded, the information stays on the card, it isn’t deleted.

But a driver ONLY has to produce the last 28 days and the current day - no more

Harry Monk:

42 days

ROG:

Wheel Nut:

But a driver ONLY has to produce the last 28 days and the current day - no more

£200 fixed penalty is correct, the offence is: FAIL TO PRODUCE TACHOGRAPH RECORD SHEET(S), DRIVER CARD OR PRINT-OUTS AT THE ROADSIDE
— DRIVER

If the driver was carrying his card, then VOSA would simply say, this card hasn’t been used, drive, on your way.

Or if he didnt have a card issued, then VOSA would also know that too

Coffeeholic:

Harry Monk:

ROG:
This rule is a bit daft

42 days, counting from the day after the last date on the chart. It changed a while back.

Not a problem for me, I’ve normally got six or seven month’s worth hanging around in the cab :wink: