fed up

getting fed up with my job :unamused: Since passing my ‘c’ I’ve been driving the 7.5t for the engineering firm I work for but a few things are getting me down so, for a bit of a rant and for advise, here goes;

The first problem I encountered was that people who’d driven the lorry before didn’t know any of the rules regarding hours and speed limits, they just drove it like a van: flat out, no stopping. So, the boss seems to think I’m taking the pee because of how long it takes to get to places. I printed out the drivers hours to throw at him next time round - I’m still waiting :smiling_imp: .

I upset him when I told him because I finished at 20:00 the night before, the earliest I could set off was 05:00 :laughing:

Twice this week (and it’s tuesday today!!) I’ve been asked to start early because something needs to go somewhere urgently, both times I’ve ended up hanging round for hours while they finish making it!! started at 0615 today, left at 11:00 for london.

And, lastly, the numpty who looks after the tacho’s came to me last week “we’re missing one of your tachos” you mean you’ve lost it? "don’t worry, I’ll find it :open_mouth: I went to him a few days later “did you find that tacho?” we’re missing two :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: I give up, I need to get out and find a job with someone who might be able to organise something in a brewery :laughing:

Besides printing out the drivers hours, perhaps you would like to mention the fines and revocation of the o license?

The main think to remember here is that they are asking you to break the law.
Next time they tell you to run out of hours etc ask them if they will put that in writing - I bet they wont!!
A lot of firms think they can do this and its up to the driver to tell them to - well put them straight.
Thing is, if you are cuaght breaking the law and lose your licence thast means you cant work as a trucker any more and you lose your job as the firm will simply sack you as you are no longer of any use to them and employ another driver.
If you tell them to shove the job and walk away then you still have your licence and can get another job.
I know its hard but DO stand firm on this. Your licence is too valuable to put on the line for the likes of those who want you to run bent.

lol, yeah, they seem to think it’s an artic at times :laughing:

I do stand firm over it, there’s no problem with that really. It just gets me down the way they can’t organise anything and don’t like the way I’m doing my job - which, to the best of my knowlege is how any profesional would.

I also think it would help me to get through the c+e if I was driving something bigger, preferably with 8 gears, I’m looking everywhere for jobs at the moment but they seem a bit few and far between for class2, any suggestions?

Also, what do I do about the missing tacho’s?

As far as I can remember you as the driver is responsible for keeping hold of your own tachos for 21 days.
Then you hand them over to your employer who must keep them for 12 months.
If you kept them for 21 days then its not down to you if they lost them.
As for driving large or small vehicles the principle is the same. Just remember your training and stick to the rules and you wont get into bad habits again and when you go for your artic again the good habits will still be there.
Safe driving is safe driving at the end of the day. Dont forget you did not fail on much so you are not a bad driver.
Also keep a look out for better jobs as you go.
Not all employers are bad.

Mothertrucker:
As far as I can remember you as the driver is responsible for keeping hold of your own tachos for 21 days.
Then you hand them over to your employer who must keep them for 12 months.
If you kept them for 21 days

just a quick pointer mothert. its 28 days plus your current days tacho. (i think)

what about the companies you are delivering to? do they not have any driving positions open there, unless it is too far afield, maybe ask them.
or even if you are on a break and it seems to ‘happen’ on an industrial estate with a couple of haulage companies on it near your yard, just have a wander around and speak to some of the companies…if you know what i mean

just a quick pointer mothert. its 28 days plus your current days tacho. (i think)

Thanks Gibsla - I wasnt 100% sure but knew it was close.

There’s only me and one or two others that can drive it, so the tacho’s stay in the lorry (the last 28 days worth) but every week or so they’re taken out and sorted so there’s not too many in there - I assume it’s at this point where they’ve gone astray as for the last three or four months I’ve been the soul driver of it.

I’ve been asking everywhere and it’s pretty much the same story everywhere “we’re ok for class 2 but let us know when you get your class 1 and we’ll see” Unfortunately, most of our work goes to london, which would be a bit far to go each day :laughing:

Keep your own tachos and get them to sign a receipt for them.

you are meant to keep your tacho’s with you. personally i wouldnt leave them in the wagon, incase they get removed by someone else :wink: , and if your boss has a problem with that tell them to ring VOSA and get a reason from them why they need them sooner than the legal 28 days!!!

If they need them for PAY puposes then ask boss if he has a photocopier - he can have the copies for that purpose or any other purpose BUT YOU keep the originals with you at all times until they HAVE to be handed in by LAW.

I’ve only been drving LGVs a short while but I can already back up what’s been said: bosses etc will ask/demand all kinds of hours of driving and are rarely understanding about driver’s hours laws. Recently I phoned the office to tell them I’d run out of driving hours whilst an hour from home; the woman-in-the-office said “Oh just drive the truck back to base then…” :unamused:

Bottom line: our licences are worth more than our current jobs so don’t be afraid to put your foot down

Bottom line: our licences are worth more than our current jobs so don’t be afraid to put your foot down

That may be better put another way :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

you must keep your tacho’s on you personally preferably in a hard case, plastic cd cases from pound shops are good so that they dont get damaged or scratched and you have to keep 28 daysplus the one you are using, i normally then wait till the end of the following week after 28 days and hand in a weeks worth.

Try giving RASE distrobution a call, they have or are putting a few new 6 leggers on the road anytime soon, may of already done. But were looking for a driver or two for the older trucks. oldest is not that old though! 51 i think.

darkseeker:
There’s only me and one or two others that can drive it, so the tacho’s stay in the lorry (the last 28 days worth) but every week or so they’re taken out and sorted so there’s not too many in there - I assume it’s at this point where they’ve gone astray as for the last three or four months I’ve been the soul driver of it.

darkseeker it’s your responsibility to keep your charts safe until you hand them in to the company, as others have said it’s not really a good idea to leave them in the lorry, what happens if for some reason you need to drive another vehicle and you can’t get hold of your charts for the previous 28 days, get stopped without you charts and you’re likely to get parked up, we won’t even mention the possibility of being brought before the traffic commission :open_mouth:

As far as the regulations are concerned, I suggest you get the booklet from your local VOSA office and leave it for your bosses to see, you could use a highlighter to highlight the penalties for both you and the company, see if the penny drops :wink:

Good luck with the job search.

cheers for that tacho (and everyone who said the same) That’s next week’s argument sorted :laughing: I have already got the reg’s booklet, and been busy with the highlighter - great minds - but I’ve been waiting for the next whinging session :laughing:

Imp, you’re a star mate, I’ll get straight onto it :slight_smile: