no joy

Thats the last five days none stop going around any place that runs trucks leaving CV, s an not even a bite , lifes a ■■■■■ at times lol :confused: better start looking for spray painting work again !

I have been doing that today aswell, some seemed quite interested so fingers crossed, we will get there in the end, perseverance is the answer i guess :smiley: :smiley:

Good luck pal :slight_smile:

It’s not easy lads but keep at it and just keep telling your self that sooner or later you will strike it lucky :smiley:
Best of luck Roy :wink:

Keep at it lads…you’ll get something…things are picking up slowly and something will turn up soon… :wink:

Secret is don’t give up, and don’t be shy telling them how good you are…they don’t want to employ drivers that are unsure of themselves. Best of luck… :wink:

I think its worse when they never bother replying

what doesn’t help is agencies, quit a few of the company’s i have gone into directly just say “we don’t employ drivers its all done through blank agencies” i have had a few conversations with agencies that just shot you down with the experience waffle, and say would you be willing to drive 7.5 tonne, its so frustrating when you have shelled out 2k for your tests and it makes it seem all pointless. :imp:

Because there is a job shortage (despite what the agy’s advertise) companies/agy’s are able to use barriers of age and 2yr experience to recruit the drivers they want. But when they get busy or need someone desperately those barriers suddenly evaporate. My current bugbear is agy cancelling runs. “Can you do so-and-so tomorrow?”, “Yes, no problem”. Later that night, "Sorry, run has been cancelled due to (insert reason here). Happened twice this week :angry: :angry: :angry:

From my point of view it may be help you guys if you say what area you are looking in. Just occasionally someone may be stuck for a driver at the last minute, your post sounds sensible and it sticks in their mind, they call you, you do a good job and suddenly you are taken on full time.
PM me if you are in the Kent area.

well iam in southend-on-sea, so an hour commute should cover most of essex, i also have had the “can you work tommorow”, “yes no worries” ten minutes later “client has canceled sorry”, this does begin to grate on your nerves, and also you are correct , the agencies adverts are every where saying desperate need for hgv drivers but it is simply not true.

Medaluk:
well iam in southend-on-sea, so an hour commute should cover most of essex, i also have had the “can you work tommorow”, “yes no worries” ten minutes later “client has canceled sorry”, this does begin to grate on your nerves, and also you are correct , the agencies adverts are every where saying desperate need for hgv drivers but it is simply not true.

if you only just passed your test most companys wont even look at your CV because of Insurance preiums on new drivers to Insure a new driver a company will have to pay 20k at least when for the same amount they can employ a whole fleet of drivers with 3 years or more exeriance its a ■■■■■ I know hang in there buddy agency work till you pass that 3 year milestone. get yaself in with a decent agency if you can and hold out for 3 years once you got that and experiance you’ll get interviews for jobs then

to Insure a new driver a company will have to pay 20k

… in which case they should change their insurers! There is no way is that figure accurate.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

The only problem I see with the 2 years thing is that in two years time I’ll be even more inexperienced at class 1 as I won’t of driven once since I passed my test,

Peter Smythe:

to Insure a new driver a company will have to pay 20k

… in which case they should change their insurers! There is no way is that figure accurate.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I’d love to see a copy of one of these policies that says 2 years experience, my fleet policy doesn’t it just has a extra £200 excess for drivers under 21 and £100 extra for drivers 21-24 years !!

I dont think it is related to insurance , i think its just the agencies trying to be proffessional, lol, just so the can secure the clients they tell them all drivers will have a minimum of 2 years exp, and as most clients use agencies we are all f, well screwed

Medaluk:
The only problem I see with the 2 years thing is that in two years time I’ll be even more inexperienced at class 1 as I won’t of driven once since I passed my test,

Ah no, when you have had your licence for two years, you will automatically have the magic two years’ experience, even if you have never once driven a truck.

Medaluk:
what doesn’t help is agencies, quit a few of the company’s i have gone into directly just say “we don’t employ drivers its all done through blank agencies” i have had a few conversations with agencies that just shot you down with the experience waffle, and say would you be willing to drive 7.5 tonne, its so frustrating when you have shelled out 2k for your tests and it makes it seem all pointless. :imp:

Can I ask why you’ve not gone for it?

I understand what your saying about the cost, but at least its a foot in the door. There are lads on the agency I’m with who started on 7.5t and have worked up, some in under the magic 2 yrs. I have 15yrs exp, but when I need some cash I’ll drive anything, its that attitude that can get you places with some agencies.

The expierence thing has been there for years, I ended up challenging my first agency owner to send her best driver to reverse the 40ft artic hay trailer we had to get a start 15 yrs ago. She didn’t take the offer up, but gave me my first start.

OP, what you have to remember is that while none of them may have had a seat to offer you today, they all now have your contact details for when they do have a seat to fill.

It would not be unusual for two or three to phone you on the same day offering you work in a week or so’s time.

OP,I’ve been sendin cv’s out since October no joke I haven’t had 1 response until Friday I received my first letter bck,obvs apologising there was no job for me,it’s very dis heartening,but on the other hand kind of spurred me on now because someone has given me some acknowledgement.Next letter might be good news so gotta keep trying,don’t give up!

Volvofh16:
OP,I’ve been sendin cv’s out since October no joke I haven’t had 1 response until Friday I received my first letter bck,obvs apologising there was no job for me,it’s very dis heartening,but on the other hand kind of spurred me on now because someone has given me some acknowledgement.Next letter might be good news so gotta keep trying,don’t give up!

Don’t write letters or send off CVs. They just get ignored.

Get in your car and visit people.