Failed my class C today

Hello!
Been lurking in background reading many of the post’s here for all the help and advise i can get. Well i decided to take the plunge and took my class C test over the last couple days and had the test itself today and failed 14 minors and 2 faults :blush: , dunno if thats a record?? Failed mostly on gear control (mostly crunching and selecting the wrong one) and awareness and planning.
My instructor was excellent and i did enjoy the lessons and I would like to get this license in the bag for the future, just need a bit of advise from someone wise out there if i should get stuck in for a retest and shell out more dosh or not?? Cheers.

Don’t give up, learn from those mistakes, the gears will come with practise :wink:

how long was your training for??

i think you need more training if you got 14 minors and 2 majors

Which kind of gearbox were you learning on? I would agree with all the other posters so far, that further training/practise is definitely in order, so that you can judge which gear you want to be in for the next obstacle. In any case, the advice I followed was to take it easy, so you’ve got more time to think about what you’re doing, keep the vehicle rolling when possible (a moving vehicle is easier to control than a stopped one). Low range (dependent upon your gearbox) only need be engaged when you’re travelling at less than 10mph. What were the 2 major faults for? These are definitely more important to rectify than any minor fault.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome chronos :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
Newbies - Jobs, Agencies & EXPERIENCE & Is the UK short of drivers ? & Was it really worth it?

FAQ forum for info on Posting Pics & avatars, How to use quotes, Driver CPC, and much more…

The two important questions have already been asked -

garnerlives:
how long was your training for??

EBGBz:
Which kind of gearbox were you learning on?

chronos:
failed 14 minors and 2 faults , dunno if thats a record??

Nope - many have got a lot worse results than that.

chronos:
My instructor was excellent and i did enjoy the lessons

That’s two good points in your favour :slight_smile:

chronos:
if i should get stuck in for a retest and shell out more dosh or not??

Definitely - you have spent probably about a thousand so why throw that away :question:

Sorry to see that you failed ,suggest that you try to improve your overall driving standard.Read up the new highway code and use the tips by Rog.Better luck next time.

Don’t think of it as a fail, think of it as delayed success :slight_smile:

sure next time you will crack it.

Mix-Master:
Don’t think of it as a fail, think of it as delayed success :slight_smile:

or an expensive lesson :smiley:

How many days training have you had■■? I would say you need more than a couple befor you at test standards
I am looking to take mine but thing I need a min of 4 day.
I would have a few more days training and then have another go :smiley: :smiley:

Hello again, many thanks for the advice everyone.

I trained in an Iveco Cargo Tector with a slap over gears, the lesson itself where based near Leigh near Wigan, ran for 4 days, 4 hours each and the the test in the 5th day. I felt 4 hours was plenty enough though, felt right knackered after the first few days!! A big thanks to Paul my instructor.

EBGBz:
What were the 2 major faults for? These are definitely more important to rectify than any minor fault.

Those major faults where for awareness and gears, thanks for advice EBGBz.

Almost certain i’ll give it another shot at it, it would be waste of money and time already spent, but i do plan do a bit more training to try and nail it for the test. I’ll keep ya posted!

Good luck with it when you go for it again mate :smiley:

chronos:
Hello!
Been lurking in background reading many of the post’s here for all the help and advise i can get. Well i decided to take the plunge and took my class C test over the last couple days and had the test itself today and failed 14 minors and 2 faults :blush: , dunno if thats a record?? Failed mostly on gear control (mostly crunching and selecting the wrong one) and awareness and planning.
My instructor was excellent and i did enjoy the lessons and I would like to get this license in the bag for the future, just need a bit of advise from someone wise out there if i should get stuck in for a retest and shell out more dosh or not?? Cheers.

Only you know if you felt ready for your test.

Don’t let your fail deter you if you and your instructor felt you were ready for your test then you probably was, your fail could be put down to nerves, you might think that was a bad fail not true without the two serious it was just a pass. we had a candidate who we new after his training was ready for his test but on his test day his nerves were so bad he went completely to peices to the extent that when he failed to see a car the examiner aborted the test.

Because we knew he was ready for his test and deep down so did he we booked him for a retest with no extra training just a warm up drive and test, outcome he passed with no minors.

Nerves can do some weird things to an otherwise rational person.

Discuss it with your instructor only you and him know the level you were at before your test, remember one size does not fit all we have had people pass with three days training others have took six days that’s why we do the assessment.

Good luck with your retest.

Driven trucks for years passed class 2 with 3 minors class 1 another story 5 attempts failed on reversing uncoupling (wagon and drag) on the road getting 3/4 minors I went to pieces on the pad at the test center GAME OVER . THE CURE simple Paul Mc Kenners hypno tape YES IT WORKS 5 minors and all done. do not give up. weigh up what went wrong and act on it, you can do it and you will do it, just remember that when you DO pass it is only a ticket to carry on LEARNING. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I will never forget my examiner. the most miserable git on the planet :imp: all i can suggest is relax, talk to him like you’ve known em for years. they aint too bad, they know every one on test has nerves. just glad i done all mine, including ADR n tanks 1st time round…but i’m a tight git n hate spendin hard earnt money n would have hated to have to go all over again…sayin that ADR N tanker licence aint worth the paper its written on now. better on general :unamused: