F.a.o diesel dave-adr question

everyone says" your the man" so here goes.
passed my class 2 a couple of weeks ago and im on my adr on 29-9-08,how long is it from taking the test to finding out if you ve passed/failed.
there is a job advertised in this weeks chester chronicle for class 2 adr driver,im thinking of applying but dont want to make an arse of myself if i havent got my adr in time,what you think.
other peoples opinions welcome aswell.

dieseldave has his own ‘open’ sticky in which it might be better to ask your question - HERE - but he’ll probably spot it here too :smiley: :smiley:

You will not fail,the fact that you have attended a course guarantees a pass pretty much.There will be several multiple choice exams very similar to a LGV theory test with the answers just as obvious and I think that you will find that the instructor will coach you through.That’s how mine went a few years ago for everything except radio-actives and explosives.Just sit back and wait for the postman.

clarkyboy:
everyone says" your the man" so here goes.
passed my class 2 a couple of weeks ago and im on my adr on 29-9-08,how long is it from taking the test to finding out if you ve passed/failed.
there is a job advertised in this weeks chester chronicle for class 2 adr driver,im thinking of applying but dont want to make an arse of myself if i havent got my adr in time,what you think.
other peoples opinions welcome aswell.

Hi clarkyboy, It might depend on the timetable submitted to SQA by the training provider AND which modules you’re doing.

If I guess that your course ends on 3rd Oct, I imagine that the provider will get the papers off to Glasgow, either on Fri 3rd or Mon 6th Oct.

After that, the papers go into a stack for marking, say they’re marked by the Friday (10th Oct.) Then the results are transmitted to DVLA Swansea, who will issue your certificate probably by the end of the next week, so I’d guess it’ll be in your hand around 20th Oct. That’s the way the system is working at the moment, but the official answer is “up to six weeks” according the the contract between the DfT - SQA - DVLA.

However, it isn’t all as bad as it might at first appear, because the training provider has special password protected access to ‘their’ part of the SQA system, so whether you passed or failed any module can be known to the provider approx 1 week after taking your exams, which might help with your job application.
When you attend the course, you can ask the instructor to give you the phone number of the training provider, but please leave it at least a week before 'phoning.

If I knew which provider you’re using and which modules you’re taking, it might help me to arrive at a better guesstimate. :grimacing:

Good luck on your course, but please don’t forget that I’m here to help, either in the forum or by PM, if you get stuck. :wink:

i got my results within a week from swansea

funkyfella:
i got my results within a week from swansea

Hi funkyfella, IMHO the fact that you got your results that quickly was truly exceptional.

SQA / DVLA must have hit a purple patch, cos that certainly isn’t normal. :grimacing:

xrayday:
You will not fail,the fact that you have attended a course guarantees a pass pretty much.

Hi xrayday, I’d agree with that mate, but I’d add: provided that you listened in class, asked sensible questions when you didn’t understand something and read your handouts properly.

xrayday:
There will be several multiple choice exams very similar to a LGV theory test with the answers just as obvious

Also agreed and perfectly true, provided the candidate has done as above.

xrayday:
and I think that you will find that the instructor will coach you through.

If that means “coach you through” the exams, then why would an instructor do that if the answers are as simple as you said above??

Given that the answers are simple (I agree with you that they’re simple) anybody who can’t answer the exam questions simply doesn’t deserve the qualification and an instructor who “coaches” would fully deserve the inevitable grade 4 report (withdrawal of permission to teach ADR) that would follow him/her being caught.
The training provider who allows this to happen would very likely lose their provider’s licence as well.

I wouldn’t do exam “coaching,” because you never know what somebody might write on an Internet forum, or more to the point, who might read it. :wink:
I know for a fact that at least one SQA verifier reads TNUK. :grimacing:

Anybody I’ve taught doesn’t need “coaching” anyway, cos they find the exams are genuinely easy. :wink:

clarkyboy:
there is a job advertised in this weeks chester chronicle for class 2 adr driver,im thinking of applying…

Hi again clarkyboy, I’d say you might need to clarify what the red part actually means.

The people who write such job adverts very rarely understand and fail to ask the right questions of the person/organisation that wants the advert placed in the newspaper.
Then again, the person/organisation that wants the advert placed in the newspaper might not have correctly stated their requirements to the person who dealt with their enquiry.
It’s often the old story of there being several people in a chain and the message being ‘interpreted’ along the way… :frowning:

“Class 2” might mean ‘to drive a class 2 vehicle,’ which correctly written should say driving licence category “C” ’ or…

“Class 2 ADR” might mean that they carry gases (UN Class 2,) but haven’t specified the driving licence category of the vehicle to be driven…

Since a person might not be qualified to drive all licence categories, or might not be qualified to carry one or more UN Classes, this potentially poor use of language might lead a person to waste their / or the company placing the advert’s time…

There are various permutations of my point above, so it might be worth a quick phone call to find out exactly what the requirement is. :wink:

xrayday:
You will not fail,the fact that you have attended a course guarantees a pass pretty much.

Therein lies the problem with ADR it is of a very limited standard.
It’s a bit worrying when the hardest part of the course is making sure your details are correct for sending your certifcate out. :open_mouth:
The SQA should completely revise the syllabus to get it up to Freight CPC level,including a case study type module.

gsm31:

xrayday:

Therein lies the problem with ADR it is of a very limited standard.

Hi gsm31 I agree to some extent, but the issue here is that it’s the DfT (as Competent Authority for all ADR matters in the UK) who ultimately set the standards. Even SQA have to do as they’re told.

gsm31:
It’s a bit worrying when the hardest part of the course is making sure your details are correct for sending your certifcate out. :open_mouth:
The SQA should completely revise the syllabus to get it up to Freight CPC level,including a case study type module.

The details are required to be so exact, because the candidates’ details are checked against the details held on DVLA’s driver database.

A case study is provided in the ADR course in the form of a desktop exercise, usually done on day #1 of an ADR course.

Once the definitions of “consignor,” “packer,” “loader,” “carrier,” “driver,” “filler” and “consignee” are understood, there wouldn’t actually be much point in making the ADR driver course any more difficult to pass, because the requirement is that drivers are trained in their responsibilities under ADR. The other participants I’ve mentioned all legally need some form of documented training commensurate with their responsibilities.

Add to that the fact that both consignors and carriers must appoint a DGSA, and taking into account the responsibilities and duties of DGSAs, and the difficulty of the DGSA exams, you’ll see that the level of ADR driver training is about right having been set at ‘level 2’ as it currently is.

:open_mouth: If you want to see a ‘proper’ case study, try the one in the DGSA exam, or one of the classification exercises. :wink: