ADR question 4 Diesel Dave

Hi Dave,
I am looking to get ADR qualified and would appreciate some pointers.

a) If I want to transport fuel (ie. petrol tanker work) what combination of tests/ certificates do I need ?

b) Do you know of anybody reasonably priced and good in the Exeter / South West area ?

c) I have been looking at adverts posted by Apex support services - they say they offer free ADR training if you drive for them, but they are a bit further up the country than I can reasonably travel to work. Do you know of them, and is their free training offer likely to be worth doing ?

d) Is there any lower time limit on driving experience ? I have only had my c+e for just over a year, and wondered if that would prevent me taking ADR for some reason.

Thanks for any help you can give.

stay tuned - dieseldave is on the way

smoker:
Hi Dave,
I am looking to get ADR qualified and would appreciate some pointers.

a) If I want to transport fuel (ie. petrol tanker work) what combination of tests/ certificates do I need ?

For petrol tanker work, you’d need a minimum of “core” + “tanks” + UN Class 3. Within the book of rules for training providers, there is provision for offering what I’ve suggested as a complete course. If they did it that way I’d estimate 3.5 days. They also have the alternative to tell you to attend a 5-day course, but only at the times that the rest of the candidates are doing the same parts as you. Given your area of the country, I’d say the chances of doing core tanks and class 3 at one take aren’t good, but you never know.

smoker:
b) Do you know of anybody reasonably priced and good in the Exeter / South West area ?

I don’t know of Apex support services- so couldn’t comment. The most well-known provider in your area is probably Friendberry. An internet search will find him.

somoker:
c) I have been looking at adverts posted by Apex support services - they say they offer free ADR training if you drive for them, but they are a bit further up the country than I can reasonably travel to work. Do you know of them, and is their free training offer likely to be worth doing ?

All ADR training providers are approved by the DfT and the exams board, SQA. Apex may or may not be approved, or they might get another provider to do the actual training for them. The fact that the training is free doesn’t mean that it’s good or bad, it could be either. If it’s “free,” you might be tied to them for a while, depending on the deal they offer you. You might have to repay the costs of the training, if you leave.

smoker:
d) Is there any lower time limit on driving experience ? I have only had my c+e for just over a year, and wondered if that would prevent me taking ADR for some reason.

There’s no time limit whatsoever. Anybody with a DVLA driver number can do an ADR course. The ADR licence is issued by DVLA Swansea and automatically attaches to whatever vehicle licence you hold, so if you do a licence upgrade there’s nothing more to do for ADR’s purposes. A person without a DVLA driver number can also take ADR, but they get a pass certificate, rather than a “proper” DVLA issued ADR licence.

I’d offer you some pointers. Given that your LGV C+E is quite new, and that your ADR licence would be even newer, you might have some difficulty in landing a nice tanker job- but you never know.

For that reason, I’d suggest the 5-day ADR course which covers all classes of “stuff” except 1 (explosives) and 7 (radioactives,) that way you’ll be qualified on both tankers and packages giving you a far greater appeal to a wider variety employers. It is your choice though. If you need more info, just ask.

Thanks for that, I’ll have to have a think about the costs and look at the job market to see what I can afford to lay out.
Cheers

smoker:
Thanks for that, I’ll have to have a think about the costs and look at the job market to see what I can afford to lay out.
Cheers

The job market is certainly a consideration, you’ll know your local area best, so I couldn’t offer anything you don’t already know.

A thought ocurred to me when I read “costs.” It might be an idea, if you didn’t do the “tank” module on your first course. That would make your course significantly cheaper for you.

An advantage of this is that you can go back ANYTIME you like to do the tanks module, because it is “free-standing.” You could even go to a different provider if you preferred, you aren’t tied to the first one. You also get to replenish your cash, before taking on the next bit.

Taking that idea a bit further, you could do, say: Core, packs and class 2, then you could legally work for a gas cylinder delivery firm for a while, then do other modules as you see fit.

That idea might assist your cash-flow. :wink:

dieseldave:
An advantage of this is that you can go back ANYTIME you like to do the tanks module, because it is “free-standing.” You could even go to a different provider if you preferred, you aren’t tied to the first one. You also get to replenish your cash, before taking on the next bit.

When you say free standing, that means I can take it on its own without having to do different classes at the same time I presume.
Leading on from that, as each class is only valid for 5 years does that mean that if I took the tank module a year later than the rest, that it would only be valid for 4 years before needing refreshing, or can they all be staggered dates of renewal ?
Thanks for your help.

BTW, Friendberry are asking nearly £700 for Core, tanks, Packages and classes 2 to 6, 8 & 9
Sigma studies (part of Apex support) advertise the 5 day course at £450 inclusive vat. I have emailed them to find out if that includes the exams, which make up £380 of Friendberrys costs.

smoker:
When you say free standing, that means I can take it on its own without having to do different classes at the same time I presume.

Yes, provided that you had done core, packs and at least one class first. Free standing means it can be added at a later date.

smoker:
Leading on from that, as each class is only valid for 5 years does that mean that if I took the tank module a year later than the rest, that it would only be valid for 4 years before needing refreshing

Yes, you’re spot-on. Expiry depends on the date you did the core module.

smoker:
BTW, Friendberry are asking nearly £700 for Core, tanks, Packages and classes 2 to 6, 8 & 9

Blimey :open_mouth: I guess that’s the going rate then. It’s significantly cheaper in other parts of the country, but that’s probably due to local competition, or the lack of it where you are.

smoker:
Sigma studies (part of Apex support) advertise the 5 day course at £450 inclusive vat. I have emailed them to find out if that includes the exams.

That’s a very wise move on your part.- I’d like to know the answer to that as well.

smoker:
…which make up £380 of Friendberrys costs.

Cough…splutter…faint. :open_mouth: BLIMEY :open_mouth: Are you sure :question: £380 for 10 exams :question: Ask him again, clarify. I think somebody might have made a boo-boo.

dieseldave:

smoker:
Sigma studies (part of Apex support) advertise the 5 day course at £450 inclusive vat. I have emailed them to find out if that includes the exams.

That’s a very wise move on your part.- I’d like to know the answer to that as well.

I just had an email back from Sigma studies, that price is all inclusive.

dieseldave:

smoker:
…which make up £380 of Friendberrys costs.

Cough…splutter…faint. :open_mouth: BLIMEY :open_mouth: Are you sure :question: £380 for 10 exams :question: Ask him again, clarify. I think somebody might have made a boo-boo.

After looking at the pricing again, I think you’re right - the exams come to £200 (very confusing form on their site) - so their overall price is $493.75

Of course Friendberry are quite a bit closer to me so I wouldn’t need accommodation, so I think I’ll give them a call.

Thanks for all your help.

smoker:

£450 is a very good price indeed. It would still be interesting to know how they answer your email.

somoker:
After looking at the pricing again, I think you’re right - the exams come to £200 (very confusing form on their site) - so their overall price is $493.75

Of course Friendberry are quite a bit closer to me so I wouldn’t need accommodation, so I think I’ll give them a call.

That’s good news then. The exams are normally £20 each, so if your doing 10 modules that should be £200.

Of course, if you want to keep an eye on costs, you don’t have to do the “tanks” module at this time. You can go back to do that at any time that suits you. If you take that option, and then pass your tanks exam, Swansea just issue you a whole new ADR licence with tanks added. You bin the “old” ADR licence, but the expiry will still be the same. Many people take this option, so it’s not uncommon.

dieseldave:

smoker:

£450 is a very good price indeed. It would still be interesting to know how they answer your email.

Yes, as I mentioned above, they have replied and it is all inclusive :

Many thanks for your enquiry into our ADR courses. In answer to your question, yes the 5-day course price is £450.00 fully inclusive of VAT and examination fees. The only additional cost is lunch at £2.50 per day.

smoker:
Yes, as I mentioned above, they have replied and it is all inclusive :

Many thanks for your enquiry into our ADR courses. In answer to your question, yes the 5-day course price is £450.00 fully inclusive of VAT and examination fees. The only additional cost is lunch at £2.50 per day.

Thanks for that smoker, that’s a very good price indeed.
They’re not taking the mickey with the price of the lunch either.

Good luck with Mr Friendberry, he knows his stuff so you’ll be ok.
I’ll be here if you get stuck. :wink:

Cheers mate, thanks for your help.
I’m actually looking forward to doing this - I think I’m a masochist :astonished:

smoker:
Cheers mate, thanks for your help.
I’m actually looking forward to doing this - I think I’m a masochist :astonished:

Agreed. You should look forward to it, it’s all interesting stuff, if approached with the attitude you’ve taken. Now you’re half-way there. :wink: