euro 5

has anybody any thoughts or opions on early take up :question:

well- Got a Volvo FH 13 480 euro 5 in june, all fine, pleased with it, however ad-blue not worked for two months now, Volvo unsure just swapping dosing units, same with the other nine unit we have had this year!

thats a little worrying my new volvo is on the road nov 1. fm 400 euro 5.

We have put around 30 Euro 5 trucks on the road and have not heard of any problems with Adblue except the numpty who put it in his fuel tank :stuck_out_tongue: To be fair he found a can in the side locker and just thought he had to put it in fuel tank when he filled up, it wasnt his regular lorry though

So, go on then, for a complete numpty old git that hasn’t come across Adblue yet, tell me the who, what, where and why’s…

jayseabea:
So, go on then, for a complete numpty old git that hasn’t come across Adblue yet, tell me the who, what, where and why’s…

Ad-Blue is added to the exhaust of an SCR truck.
It cleans the catalytic converter of particulates.
It’s a solution of urea, filtered and cleaned of all smell, made from cow urine according to rumour.
It’s added to the exhaust at roughly 4% of fuel use.
The Ad-Blue tank will probably be black plastic with a locking blue plastic cap and a very narrow interior neck, to stop you getting a fuel nozzle in by mistake.

My wagon has a 40l tank, I usually do over 2700km before the gauge flashes up that it’s into reserve.
(Reserve, not reverse :open_mouth: :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue: )

jayseabea:

You could do a search on here and be amazed at the auto sensor allowing Adblue to be described as cow ■■■■ :smiley:

Its a urea based additive that is used to lower carbon emissions by pumping it into the exhaust.

There are 2 ways of doing this. SCR and EGR and some manufacturers have gone the Adblue route, Scania and others have gone with the electronic technology.

Volvo actually do both but Adblue seems to be winning.

The truck has an extra special tank on it which is filled up during fueling.

Its available from truck dealers and many truckstops as well as from dispensers like this.

At the moment Euro 3 is suitable for most hauliers as we can still go through the Mont Blanc and Frejus, and even next year into the LEZ zone in London but Euro 5 is the next major change, At the moment there is no huge incentive for us to buy Euro 5 but a lot of the continentals are getting them now.

I stand to be corrected on any point as Im just typing this from the top of my head with a bottle of beer next to me :stuck_out_tongue:

at the moment euro 5 is an option over euro 4 which is mandatory.ihave been promised a rpc cert. and reduced ved. i am a little sceptical as to how long this will run for.

i would ave thought the bottle of beer more usefull.

Wheel Nut:
There are 2 ways of doing this. SCR and EGR and some manufacturers have gone the Adblue route, Scania and others have gone with the electronic technology.’

scania uses SCR on its V8 engines.

milodon:

Wheel Nut:
There are 2 ways of doing this. SCR and EGR and some manufacturers have gone the Adblue route, Scania and others have gone with the electronic technology.’

scania uses SCR on its V8 engines.

I stand to be corrected on any point as Im just typing this from the top of my head with a bottle of beer next to me

I didnt realise Scania used Adblue at all