New Scanny - ad blue

Getting a brand shiney new Scania R480 later this week.

The R480 I drive at the mo’ doesn’t use ad blue, and has a diesel tank on either side.

The new one does use ad blue, and has a larger diesel tank on the nearside and the much smaller ad blue tank on the offside. Assuming the tanks are a ‘standard’ size, how many miles approx do you reckon I will get out of a tank of ad blue?
Will it be a case of fill both diesel and ad blue every time I fill up, or will the ad blue last longer?

Also, I have heard stories of ad blue freezing . . is this true?

No you will use far much more diesel than ad blue, I can get roughly 1400km out of a full tank of adblue and maybe even more. Depends what work your truck is doing.

Some of our Volvo FM’s have adblue and to be fair it hardly uses any we have to fill both diesel and adblue after every day. I can use half a tank of diesel and not even quarter of a tank adblue more like 1/8th of a tank. It seems the DAF’s we have use even less adblue than the Volvo.

As for Scania I don’t know, but it might be worth also mentioning the Volvos are Euro 4 compliant and the DAF’s Euro 5 :slight_smile:

Regards,
Nick

Even if it does freeze I wouldn’t worry, the sensor will still know the tank is not empty and wont downgrade your engine power. I ran out 8 weeks ago, threw some water in it and nothing has changed.

If the Add blue diffuser is set up right it should use about a litre of add blue to about 5 to 7 litres of diesel.

And it looks like kerbdog will be getting a nice letter from the customs man when he takes his truck for test.The tank level sensor aint nothing to worry about but what about the NOx output data stored on the engine ecu that is down loaded when you go for your reduced emission test .Oh dear.

As for freezing most add blue pressure pumps are linked into the engine coolant ring to keep it warm.The temperature of the add blue is constantly monitored by the engine ecu.

As has been said AdBlue consumption should be between 5 and 7% of that of Diesel…
Mine will use 60 litres or thereabouts of adblue against 1000 litres of diesel during the course of a week, .But bear in mind it’s not a Scania, although the actual truck marque shouldn’t make a difference to the figures,
Also Adblue is good until -15 degrees… as per manufacturers statement.

Never known ad -blue to freeze ,though that isn’t to say it hasn’t ,with DAF when temp gets to -5 in the ad blue tank the system won’t work anyway ,and you won’t get a warning as the system won’t meet the temp parameters

Bking:
If the Add blue diffuser is set up right it should use about a litre of add blue to about 5 to 7 litres of diesel.

And it looks like kerbdog will be getting a nice letter from the customs man when he takes his truck for test.The tank level sensor aint nothing to worry about but what about the NOx output data stored on the engine ecu that is down loaded when you go for your reduced emission test .Oh dear.

As for freezing most add blue pressure pumps are linked into the engine coolant ring to keep it warm.The temperature of the add blue is constantly monitored by the engine ecu.

they dont download any data at a rpc test as long as the light goes on and off its a pass doesnt even get an emmisions check for rpc on nox sensing

If you put tap water in your AdBlue tank you may calcify the nozzle on the dosing unit.

That will stop the SCR from working and the engine will downrate.

But don’t worry, as it only costs about £2000 or so to put right, your boss will be delighted that you didn’t waste his cash on AdBlue!

davhems:

Bking:

they dont download any data at a rpc test as long as the light goes on and off its a pass doesnt even get an emmisions check for rpc on nox sensing

Not yet they dont but it will start in 2014 and can be done now on a VOSA roadside check thats how they caught the paddies who were nipping the add blue feed pipe.And its logged now by the ecu and can only be wiped by obtaining a rewrite code from the vehicles manufacturer same as overspeeding the limiter.

Bking:

That seems a bit excessive to me. Mine uses about 20ltrs of ad blu for every 400ltrs of diesel. That works out at nearly a ratio of 1 to 20. Or 5%.

Adblue starts crystalising at -11c apparantly

biggerstuff:

this is true, however, if you look at the pipes going in and out of any adblue tank you will notice a flow and return pipe connected to the cooling system, so warm water flows through the tank. therefore it may only freeze when the engine is switched off for long periods of time.

When I bought my Volvo I asked how much adBlue it should use and I was told it would be around a litre per hundred klms. I find it depends on what work I’m doing.

I was recently told the emissions will come into the MOT soon & VOSA will be monitoring AdBlue systems. True or not? I don’t know but no doubt a few who mess with the things will find out.

BB

biggerstuff:

It will start crystallising as soon as you spill it,hence you will see it crystalised around filler necks of the tank

norb:

biggerstuff:

It will start crystallising as soon as you spill it,hence you will see it crystalised around filler necks of the tank

what you’re on about is quite different from crystalising. when you spill it the water evaporates and you’re left with urea.