ad blue

hi guys/when ipassed my test in 2007 ad blue was all the rage but now not so much,have we seen the end or the beginning of the end of ad blue due to technical advances?

Possibly…

Or, because they’re using it in cars now I think (Audi Q7),is/will it be a bigger easier market? The car driver will now think they’re onto a good thing, tree and bunny hugging and all that.

Just a guess… :confused:

What is that stuff anyway? One of the newer trucks at a firm I used to work for had it, I have never used it myself, but have driven trucks on odd days that have an adblue tank…isn’t it made from wee?

VAG cars & vans seem to be going down the adblue route, trouble is cars (Sharan/Alhambra/Q7) are a dealer only fill up, the filler neck is smaller than on trucks, so the pumps can’t be used reasoning being to protect customers from splashes (nowt to do with dealer ££££££) I’m sure Diesel Dave will clarify that diesel is more dangerous than adblue, VAG cars will not restart once stopped when the adblue is empty. I can see an adblue themed Watchdog episode coming along soon like they did with DPFs.

It’s not pee, it’s a 32.5% solution of urea in de-mineralised water. Urea is a component of pee along with other compounds.

Fleet support news link here

It is a pain the balls is what it is a ■■■■■■■ needless expense to make the ■■■■■■■ tree huggers happy.

If you mix urea and formaldehyde you get bakelite that old fashioned usually dark-brown brittle plastic.
1930’s doornobs, old school setsquares, and old-fashioned electrical gear are the most commonly found examples still around. :exclamation:

This use of urea to make bakelite plastic is over 100 years old already. Using it to make another kind of “crumbly” plastic has its use in the modern world as well.

As far as I know (wiki won’t tell you this) Adblue works by combining with the oxides of nitrogen (pollution) parts of exhaust, and converts them into a sugar-plastic “smoke” which on condensation becomes “dirt” in the gutter (or on grass verges if you prefer!) that is entirely bio-friendly, as it can either be left to decompose or get eaten by the wildlife. :sunglasses:

Under a microscope, the beads of reacted adblue look a bit like candy floss, and is as benign as candyfloss as well. Any creature capable of consuming sugar can eat it without ill effect. :open_mouth:

Urea should not be confused with wee, as animal/human Urine is already starting to decompose whilst still in the bladder. The strong smell (of wee) is the result of that decomposition producing Ammonia along the way. It is the Ammonia that stinks! :wink:

All I know is on our Daf CFs the tank/system is in a stupid place; I helped one driver dig his system out out after his lorry sank a bit on the tip; he wasn’t stuck it was just if he’d carried on the whole thing would’ve been ripped off. Me in my “old fashioned” Foden powered on another 20 yards to the tip face :grimacing:

AdBlue won’t be going away. Most Euro 6 engines will have to use both EGR and SCR (AdBlue) to meet the regulations. Could be the end of the MAN and Scania EGR only offerings. Some Merc cars have Adblue too, although I think on the cars it is a service item rather than regular fill up. Bit of a con having it dealer fill only.

I didnt know cars were getting lumbered with the bloomin stuff.
Just out of interest though, could a fella not just buy a container of it and tip in in to his car using a funnel instead of going to the dealers?
Just wondering. I`ll not be buying anything that uses it.

cheekymonkey:
Just out of interest though, could a fella not just buy a container of it and tip in in to his car using a funnel instead of going to the dealers?

Where is it going to go?
The ad blue is mixed with the fuel at injection point. If you add it to the fuel in the tank, it would be like trying to burn fuel after you’ve poured water into your derv tank…

Also, if your car doesn’t have “injection”, then even adding an add blue special tank won’t solve the problem of pre-mixing just before ignition.

You can burn steam if you jet it across a source of ignition and a catalyst. You try burning water in any other fashion! :unamused: :unamused:

I believe Cheekymonkey was talking about filling the Adblue tank, not putting it into the Derv tank.
Of course you can pour it straight in, as long as you use the right filler:

However, the tank that it goes into is only 4.5 litres (Active Tank), the main (passive) tank is 23 litres and needs filling every 20,000 miles. I believe you need to remove the top of the filler pipe and attach another one which diverts it to the main tank.
Once the main tank is empty it gives you 1500 miles to get it to a dealer before it starts playing up from what I understand, you can only fill the small tank in that time and once it gets to the 1500 miles it won’t start again till a dealer has filled the main tank.
The active tank requires a pump to get it into the system, the passive one just bleeds it into the system as required, which is how it can regulate the 1500 miles, at the end of it the pump won’t restart until you’ve reset it.

I’m sure in time the dealer tools will become available to home users.
However, Audi only currently charge £43 for a top up plus the cost of the ad-blue (which you can supply yourself) £43 every 20,000 miles isn’t too bad. Especially as the tools would probably cost £70 once they come out, plus an hour of faffing about to change it.

Mercedes, on the other hand, have just put it in a tank in the boot where the spare wheel well would be (given that nobody seems to have these these days!) and you can fill it yourself. Which makes me think that Audi will probably go that route too in the near future.

Winseer:

cheekymonkey:

Where is it going to go?
The ad blue is mixed with the fuel at injection point. If you add it to the fuel in the tank, it would be like trying to burn fuel after you’ve poured water into your derv tank…

Also, if your car doesn’t have “injection”, then even adding an add blue special tank won’t solve the problem of pre-mixing just before ignition.

You can burn steam if you jet it across a source of ignition and a catalyst. You try burning water in any other fashion! :unamused: :unamused:

thought all diesels were injection :question: :question:
unless it works with petrol engines :question: :question:

Winseer:

cheekymonkey:

Where is it going to go?

Ad Blue is NOT mixed with the fuel at any time.
It’s squirted into the exhaust system. It cleans the exhaust gases in conjunction with the catalytic converter.

Its a pain in the ■■■■■■■ arse is what it is. :imp: My truck can only be filled at the commercial garage which is about 45 minutes away through town trafic from the yard. When i get there i have to go to the transport office and ask for a fill up. I then drive round to the pump and wait another 20 minutes for a fitter to arrive to use the pump as its all locked up!
Its a 2 hour job if im lucky, all well and good but im busy most days!
I think its a big scam. So, the operator pays less road tax because the truck uses this crap but the truck uses 30 quids worth in a fortnight. Or am i missing something here??

Gembo:
Its a pain in the [zb] arse is what it is. :imp: My truck can only be filled at the commercial garage which is about 45 minutes away through town trafic from the yard. When i get there i have to go to the transport office and ask for a fill up. I then drive round to the pump and wait another 20 minutes for a fitter to arrive to use the pump as its all locked up!
Its a 2 hour job if im lucky, all well and good but im busy most days!
I think its a big scam. So, the operator pays less road tax because the truck uses this crap but the truck uses 30 quids worth in a fortnight. Or am i missing something here??

Less road tax, the ability to go into ‘The Smoke’ (with some trucks, some obviously don’t need it), earning drivers more wages

Some Volvos came with a DPF with an Ad blue like system (Called something like Eylosis fluid I think), luckily my car (09 C30 D5) has a later system, where during long Motorway runs, it injects a small amount of Diesel into the exhaust in order to heat the filter up and re burn it.

Lucky as the Fluid models need topping up every £36k (by a dealer) and the whole filter has to be replaced every 70k (at a bill of around £700!) :open_mouth:

dew:
Some Volvos came with a DPF with an Ad blue like system (Called something like Eylosis fluid I think), luckily my car (09 C30 D5) has a later system, where during long Motorway runs, it injects a small amount of Diesel into the exhaust in order to heat the filter up and re burn it.

Lucky as the Fluid models need topping up every £36k (by a dealer) and the whole filter has to be replaced every 70k (at a bill of around £700!) :open_mouth:

That sounds like something that would have ‘fell off’ the car, like my Catalytic Converters always seem to on diesels :smiling_imp:

waynedl:

dew:

That sounds like something that would have ‘fell off’ the car, like my Catalytic Converters always seem to on diesels :smiling_imp:

Throws up all kinds of computer errors unfortunately, I know a few on the Volvo forums have tried and it’s lead to all sorts of headaches.

Glad mines got the later system. It does knock the fuel economy down a touch on long runs when it goes for a burn off, but if economy was an issue for me, I wouldn’t have bought the 2.4 :wink:

All euro 6 trucks will need ad blue.

Buy a car that needs ad blue. :laughing:

Foxstein:
thought all diesels were injection :question: :question:

Yeah, they are. Diesel will only combust effectivly if its been ‘attomised’ at very high pressure from an injector.
Either- mechanical injection, common rail, or PD (‘Pump Deuse’ the VAG system where each injector is also a high pressure pump, 2500 bar!!)

Foxstein:
unless it works with petrol engines :question: :question:

Correct.
And as already mentioned, its injected into the exhaust stream just before the CAT.