Enraged cyclist knocks lorry driver unconscious

I live in Somerset and they are just as bad, out in the car on Sunday 4 of them riding two abreast, now i thought the rules were single file.
On the way into work i very often come across them with no lights on at all. I suppose if i ran one over it would be my fault
for not seeing them.
And dont come down here after that cycle race has been on they,re out in their hundreds.
Personally I would keep out of the way of cars and lorries, lets face it they hurt when they run you over.
And thats from experience although it wasnt my fault brand new bike for my birthday many years ago and bloke
cut the corner and had me off, week in hospital.
But i cant understand this business of these boxes at traffic lights now you put the cyclist right in front of the traffic
just where they will get run over and hold up the traffic doesn,t make sense to me.

Trucker56:
I live in Somerset and they are just as bad, out in the car on Sunday 4 of them riding two abreast, now i thought the rules were single file.
On the way into work i very often come across them with no lights on at all. I suppose if i ran one over it would be my fault
for not seeing them.
And dont come down here after that cycle race has been on they,re out in their hundreds.
Personally I would keep out of the way of cars and lorries, lets face it they hurt when they run you over.
And thats from experience although it wasnt my fault brand new bike for my birthday many years ago and bloke
cut the corner and had me off, week in hospital.
But i cant understand this business of these boxes at traffic lights now you put the cyclist right in front of the traffic
just where they will get run over and hold up the traffic doesn,t make sense to me.

That’s because you’re ignorant of the rules of the road…

gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-5 … w-59-to-71

never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends

Riding 2 abreast is recommended in the highway code, unless on a narrow road then single file should be adopted.
I think the vast majority of cyclist do try to stay out of the way of motor vehicles, but as you found out Trucker56, it’s not always that easy is it.

harry:
Most bikers are are on a mission in UK . Go to Thailand where size is everything ! Bikes don’t screw with four wheels.

That sounds like a great environment in which to live. [/sarcasm].

If i,m ignorant of the rules of the road then so are most cyclists thats why a lot get knocked over, doesnt it make sense
to stay out of the way of motor vehicles in particular HGV,s. I mean you wouldnt stick your head in the mouth of a tiger would you? So why insist on riding up beside a truck where you probably can,t be seen. And why sit in front of vehicles at traffic lights does it make them feel superior or something.

The whole point of the green box is so that you can see them in front of you, you should drive accordingly. You don’t want them inside of you, that’s fair enough but if it’s such a big problem why do vehicles insist on pulling level with bikes that are at the lights first?

K5Project:
Cyclists attacked and robbed man on bike in Edinburgh - BBC News

wow what is going on today with cyclist’s
on how they act on there own you tube videos and for what we see this confirm’s the government need to come up with some way to identify them

and wow reading though the comments I love how there’s a debate on road tax and how the 2nd side to the story is the lorry probably cut up the cyclist pulling over good to see the mentality of some people :blush: Bring back natural selection

I totally agree :unamused: teenage youths have for years used bikes to deliver illegal substances. So on that basis ALL cyclists must be drug users :unamused:

Using K5Project logic ALL lorry drivers are drug users as well :neutral_face:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=109633&hilit=Stoned

Rhythm Thief:

harry:
Most bikers are are on a mission in UK . Go to Thailand where size is everything ! Bikes don’t screw with four wheels.

That sounds like a great environment in which to live. [/sarcasm].

Survival of the biggest in Thai ,& don’t forget it! :laughing:

chester:

K5Project:
Cyclists attacked and robbed man on bike in Edinburgh - BBC News

wow what is going on today with cyclist’s
on how they act on there own you tube videos and for what we see this confirm’s the government need to come up with some way to identify them

and wow reading though the comments I love how there’s a debate on road tax and how the 2nd side to the story is the lorry probably cut up the cyclist pulling over good to see the mentality of some people :blush: Bring back natural selection

I totally agree :unamused: teenage youths have for years used bikes to deliver illegal substances. So on that basis ALL cyclists must be drug users :unamused:

Using K5Project logic ALL lorry drivers are drug users as well :neutral_face:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=109633&hilit=Stoned

Are you using? because that post makes no sense what so ever (plus I’ve haven’t even posted on the above thread) so still confused why you bring something like that up?

I was just pointing out it was funny/strange how on the same day 2 sets of cyclist’s have attacked someone then other cyclists continue to attack people on the comments even when the “cyclist isn’t the victim” hence my point on natural selection with the cyclist can do no wrong.

And you have to admit a identification system would help cut down alot of poor cycling like number plates do on cars especially with all the CCTV in places like London etc, If the mayor of Bristol has a team of CCTV enforcement what sit and watch the bus lanes and loading bays to issue parking tickets etc they could do it with cyclist’s if they had a identifier

A simple number on the back of the cyclist will do the trick,like they do in Tour de France? Then dash cams could record their antics.

Why do you all think putting numbers on cyclists or bikes will change the way people ride? It would be just the same as it is now, the good ones will keep on being good and the crap ones will still be crap, after all, putting number plates on vehicles doesn’t stop some people driving like tools does it.

Slackbladder:
Why do you all think putting numbers on cyclists or bikes will change the way people ride? It would be just the same as it is now, the good ones will keep on being good and the crap ones will still be crap, after all, putting number plates on vehicles doesn’t stop some people driving like tools does it.

Because now with cars there’s alot of tossers in cars but quite a few get caught due to people reporting registrations etc they might get away with it then but things catch up with people also when you drive your lorry with your company name pasted down it you tend to behave your self a bit more as its a easy point for people to complain about you no you still get tossers in cars and trucks but alot behave them self i.e Red light camera’s you don’t jump them traffic lights as your know you will be traced and fined and same for bus lanes, etc list goes on

Same with road rage if you annoy someone and threaten them the victim & witness will see and note your reg plate and its a way you can be traced, Also it works as if someone don’t like you its a easy way to identify said car where 100,000’s of others look exactly the same

You stick a reg plate on a bike alot of people will lose the feeling of been untouchable and not all but alot of the dangerous riding would stop red light camera could also catch them out (dunno if they can detect cyclists but sure they can come up with some thing) but CCTV would in city centres. Also when I pedestrian is injured or property damaged the suspect is easier identified.

Yes the system can be abused like cars and like car driver there’s people what just don’t care but the “good” Cyclists have nothing to fear
no its not as end all solution but it would cut alot of the bad behaviour out due the increase risk of getting caught.

The reg number is worn on the back of the cyclist not the bike he’s riding unless its a microchip ,like Prey?

I think you have a bit of a simplistic view of what licensing cyclists, because that’s what it would be, would achieve. I don’t see much evidence of licence plates stopping cars, vans, busses & trucks from blowing red lights, speeding, talking on the phone, driving in bus lanes or parking on pavements so I don’t buy your idea that it would change cyclists behaviour. The type of cyclist that does all the naughty things the trucking members don’t like is hardly the type to sprint to the post office & pay for any licence plates are they.
These ideas have been tried before and, as I’ve said before, all have been dropped because of the cost of running the scheme versus how much it makes.
Vehicles are licenced because as soon as you put an engine in something & take it on the road it becomes a life threatening machine, cycles in the main, however annoying you find them, are not.

Slackbladder:
Vehicles are licenced because as soon as you put an engine in something & take it on the road it becomes a life threatening machine, cycles in the main, however annoying you find them, are not.

Your right that cyclists are only a danger to themselves when flouting traffic laws. However, I certainly feel on edge when driving around cyclists because I feel although if they do something stupid / risky they aren’t likely to be held accountable for it if it goes ■■■■ up. I feel although if there is a resulting collision i’ll be the one assumed guilty and probably arrested.

Slackbladder:
I think you have a bit of a simplistic view of what licensing cyclists, because that’s what it would be, would achieve. I don’t see much evidence of licence plates stopping cars, vans, busses & trucks from blowing red lights, speeding, talking on the phone, driving in bus lanes or parking on pavements so I don’t buy your idea that it would change cyclists behaviour. The type of cyclist that does all the naughty things the trucking members don’t like is hardly the type to sprint to the post office & pay for any licence plates are they.
These ideas have been tried before and, as I’ve said before, all have been dropped because of the cost of running the scheme versus how much it makes.

You don’t see much evidence? well do some home work ring for insurance on a white transit van for example first time say its not sign written with your company name… Then call back give same details then say its sign written and look how much the reduction is your looking at 5-10% off for making your vehicle more identifiable, and no it won’t be a total end all to bad riding but like cars its stops a good portion from misbehaving and driving like idiots but it stops alot of people as they can be traced. With people not getting licences for there bikes well same as for cars confiscated and crushed.

And the point about vehicles are licensed as they become life threatening machines is a load of crap so your saying no cyclist has every injured a pedestrian? or caused a accident? I know for a fact between 2005-2009 10 pedestrians was killed and 262 seriously injured by cyclists. Its hard to find latest figures don’t mean it don’t happen as well its hard to find facts about accidents caused by cyclists problem cause there hard to identify. and your going to say its only a small number but still happens?

How many motorist/ pedestrians have been threatened or bullied by cyclists how do you report it? what are the chances of them actually been found?

if your all for the cyclists and the greater good like all the speel you dish on here you wouldn’t object to reg plates you would endorse it to shun away the cyclists giving rest a bad name.

My question for you is why are you so opposed to it what are you doing you shouldn’t be doing?
My moneys on your one of these ■■■■ cyclists who flaunt the law and do what they like whist lecturing people on there wrong doings ignoring your own and your opposed to it as you don’t wish to be traced… probably got a helmet cam too and you go around yelling out reg numbers of anyone so dare’s look at you funny

Are we proposing all bicycles to be registered?
Even a kiddies £12 pound bike which they play on in a residential cul-de-sac? If not why not?
How about my downhill mountain bike which has never touched a public road?
Will paperboys still be able to ride their round, are you proposing an age limit?
Of course once an age limit is set, no-one younger of that age can ride a bike on a road eg quiet cul-de-sac.
When the Government and local councils are encouraging folks to cycle to work, they are not going to start bringing in red tape for any future potential cyclists in these already congested cities are they now.

Disclaimer notice for those who can’t or don’t read my posts correctly
At no point have I said registering bicycles is a bad Idea, I just given an opinion.

An outgoing/ adventurous type of guy will have 3-4 bike’s. I know plenty who do.
1 a commuter bike, ride up sit and beg type, with mudguards and lights, panniers etc.
2 a road racing bike for group rides on a weekend.
3 a off road/mountain/downhill type bike for a fantastic blast in the country
4 a single speed/fixie for training/ winter commuter use.

He will also perhaps may have an active wife, who may join him on a ride on a weekend. She will obviously be attractive has he will be nice and slim as opposed to fat and bulbous with all the cycling he does.

They get married have 2.4 kids who have also been given bikes to have family rides to keep fit, get active, live life etc

That’s 6.5 bikes to register.
The idea of a bicycle is that it’s a method of transport quick and easy for everybody. Who’s going to start funding or placing the infrastructure for this, or for that matter who is going to police it?

K5Project:
You don’t see much evidence? well do some home work ring for insurance on a white transit van for example first time say its not sign written with your company name… Then call back give same details then say its sign written and look how much the reduction is your looking at 5-10% off for making your vehicle more identifiable, and no it won’t be a total end all to bad riding but like cars its stops a good portion from misbehaving and driving like idiots but it stops alot of people as they can be traced. With people not getting licences for there bikes well same as for cars confiscated and crushed.

And the point about vehicles are licensed as they become life threatening machines is a load of crap so your saying no cyclist has every injured a pedestrian? or caused a accident? I know for a fact between 2005-2009 10 pedestrians was killed and 262 seriously injured by cyclists. Its hard to find latest figures don’t mean it don’t happen as well its hard to find facts about accidents caused by cyclists problem cause there hard to identify. and your going to say its only a small number but still happens?

How many motorist/ pedestrians have been threatened or bullied by cyclists how do you report it? what are the chances of them actually been found?

if your all for the cyclists and the greater good like all the speel you dish on here you wouldn’t object to reg plates you would endorse it to shun away the cyclists giving rest a bad name.

My question for you is why are you so opposed to it what are you doing you shouldn’t be doing?
My moneys on your one of these ■■■■ cyclists who flaunt the law and do what they like whist lecturing people on there wrong doings ignoring your own and your opposed to it as you don’t wish to be traced… probably got a helmet cam too and you go around yelling out reg numbers of anyone so dare’s look at you funny

I don’t wish to be rude, but that’s a massive leap of logic. You don’t have to ride a bike like a ■■■■ to be against compulsory registration of bicycles. I’ve never used a helmet camera, I don’t jump any more red lights on my bike than I do in my artic, I ride defensively and considerately and I sometimes wear lycra, but I’d be dead against registration of bikes. As Chester says, would it apply to the pink Barbie bikes ridden by small girls? To BMXs? To the bike that’s been sat in the garage for years on two flat tyres which you suddenly decide you want to use? How much would it cost? Where would the licence plate go? Who’d fund it? And, most importantly, what would it solve? Nothing, that’s what: those who ride like ■■■■■ would continue to do so. Like a lot of recently introduced laws, all that this one would do would be to make things more difficult and expensive for the law abiding majority while doing sod-all to stop the inconsiderate arses. The bicycle is a practical and cheap means of transport for anyone who can’t afford to run a car (or who doesn’t want to run a car). It’s quicker than walking and better for any distance over a couple of miles. It’s good for the environment and keeps you fit. Why you’d want to make all this harder for people to achieve by introducing a difficult to enforce and expensive licencing scheme because a minority of cyclists are idiots, I can’t understand.

chester:
An outgoing/ adventurous type of guy will have 3-4 bike’s. I know plenty who do.
1 a commuter bike, ride up sit and beg type, with mudguards and lights, panniers etc.
2 a road racing bike for group rides on a weekend.
3 a off road/mountain/downhill type bike for a fantastic blast in the country
4 a single speed/fixie for training/ winter commuter use.

He will also perhaps may have an active wife, who may join him on a ride on a weekend. She will obviously be attractive has he will be nice and slim as opposed to fat and bulbous with all the cycling he does.

They get married have 2.4 kids who have also been given bikes to have family rides to keep fit, get active, live life etc

That’s 6.5 bikes to register.
The idea of a bicycle is that it’s a method of transport quick and easy for everybody. Who’s going to start funding or placing the infrastructure for this, or for that matter who is going to police it?

Absolutely, especially that last sentence.