bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20404336

Usual assumption made

Be interesting to know what actually happened

RIP thoughts are with his folks :cry:

ROG:
Usual assumption made

Be interesting to know what actually happened

my thoughts exactly.
i do smithfield market a fair bit, night times only. still lots of cyclists about at that time.
to be fair, a few are pretty decent and clued up, wearing the right sort of gear to get seen, and have good front and rear lights. these people i think, are those that cycle for fun, not just to get around, they also seem to be the ones with some road sense.

the rest however are dire. dark clothes, no lights front or rear, and the worst regard to the rules of the road i’ve seen anywhere.
reguarly cut across whatever lane suits them, constantly switching from pavement to road whenever it suits them, and constantly coming up your inside even if you are about to make a left turn :unamused:
they also seem to be immune from red lights :unamused:

some of the worst culprits are those on those barclays bikes, the on street rental ones.
it appears that most users, have just rolled out of the pub/club p1ssed and can’t be arsed to walk home, so rent 1 of these instead.

Interesting reading…thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cy … 313260.ece

ROG:
Usual assumption made. Be interesting to know what actually happened

Yes it would! 2 lanes then a filter, 3 lanes then back to 2 and traffic lights if I remember right. Awkward spot sometimes of the day if traffic heavy.

Condolences to the cyclist.

It’s shocking to think that the driver gets arrested at the scene with the finger pointing directly at him without any proper investigation. As if the poor fella wont be shook up enough? It seems to be a case of guilty until proven innocent :angry: Whatever happened to the term ‘an accident’?

RIP to the cyclist :frowning:

I believe its standard procedure to arrest the driver at the scene, and then bail them.

This happenend about a mile form my bus garage, the delays were horendous.

I’ve just acquired a bike through my employer’s cycle to work scheme but I’m just too scared to take it to work.
Something has to be done to make cycling safer.

My thoughts are with the cyclists family.

I think that 20/30 years ago cycling in traffic or A roads was acceptable but know with the vast increase in traffic and increased speeds I wonder if it’s not time for a ban on cycling on major roads. Eddie.

ThrustMaster:
I’ve just acquired a bike through my employer’s cycle to work scheme but I’m just too scared to take it to work.

I am by no means making assumptions because it would be impossible to try and figure out what happened without knowing the facts.

It’s all very well saying something has to be done to make cycling safer.
You read and hear everywhere about how drivers should be educated on how to act around cyclists and how HGVs should be banned from city centres saving the lives of many cyclists, but!:

Something has to be done to educate cyclists on how to ride safely with and around HGVs.

Some of the things I see on the road make me shiver, surely when a cyclist rides up the inside of a lorry, a little voice must be saying “you shouldn’t be here!!!” But alas they still do it.

I just hate it when the blame is always put straight on the driver.

Again, I’m not making assumptions to this case or cyclists as a whole and I fully realise that there is some shoddy driving around too but it has to be both parties that help each other in making the roads safer.

RIP to the cyclist :cry:

In the 80’s I used to cycle from Sleaford to Grantham, Lincoln, Cranwell, all over the place using the A15/17 regularly, I must have been mad, but then I don’t recall any close calls at all in that time ■■?

Would I do that today ? Nah, would be insane to say the least, I can imagine the life expectantcy of a cyclist coming down the A17/15 in today’s traffic in bad weather like today for example could be measured in minutes or maybe seconds.

erfguy:
I wonder if it’s not time for a ban on cycling on major roads. Eddie.

No its time that something was done about the horrendous standard of driving in this country.

I would have said if you read abit deeper into the stats it probably works out that less people are injured cycling then they are driving for every x mile driven/cycled

My main problem would be not necessarily the risk of being killed while on a bike but constantly having to make allowances for very poor and dangerous driving both by cars and HGVs making cycling in some ways unpleasant, and actually making it undesirable to cycle on some roads which needs to change

ThrustMaster:

yeah tests made compulsory to many idiotic bicycle riders on the roads unprotected by no safety gear and these so called sensible cyclists breaking the law riding through red lights and on pavements

another truck kills a cyclist again!

You would have thought the cyclist would have learned the first time :wink:

Actrosman:
Interesting reading…thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cy … 313260.ece

Of the 108 deaths, 95 are known to have taken place due to a collision with a motor vehicle, while a number of the remaining deaths are still being investigated. In 55 of the fatalities, a car was involved. Lorries and HGVs were involved in 22 deaths, vans in nine deaths, coaches or buses in five deaths, taxis in two deaths, and two fatalities occured after a collision with a motorbike.

I thought that was interesting. 22 too many but not all HGV drivers are killers, and it doesn’t say how many riders had come up the inside, as they do!

JJ192:

ThrustMaster:

yeah tests made compulsory to many idiotic bicycle riders on the roads unprotected by no safety gear and these so called sensible cyclists breaking the law riding through red lights and on pavements

Instead of adding another layer of bureaucracy and red tape by compulsory testing, how about spending that money on dedicated cycle routes. Then you’ll have two less things to moan about, you can spend your day moaning about other things.

ThrustMaster:

Slap it on Fleabay then and buy yourself some petrol :wink: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

billybigrig:

ThrustMaster:

Slap it on Fleabay then and buy yourself some petrol :wink: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Brilliant idea :grimacing: I might do that, I’m sure you can get half decent bikes through that scheme!

I think cyclists who commute in busy city centres should be made aware of the dangers of using busy roads, even if it a simple message on a billboard or leaflets sent out through the post.

“stay safe this winter, don’t ride up the inside of HGV’s”

Stick that on an advertisement board.

Christ there’s enough “Think bike” adverts, make a “Think HGV” one!

No need for compulsory tests, just more awareness.

Whilst on my C+E test, waiting at a red light, 2 ahead lanes, city centre I checked nearside mirror to see a male cyclist ride up the side of my lorry and stop about halfway down the trailer. He then leaned on the side of the trailer so he didn’t have to put his feet down…examiner spotted it too :open_mouth:

…glad I did :wink:

Tazbug