Enjoying the weather?

There was a thread not so long back asking for advice on winter driving and I was just wondering how everybody was getting on?
I’m due out to work in an hour and it sure sounds wild and wooley out there and having seen the severe weather warnings for tonight I can pretty much garantee that I will get the Carlisle run tonight but hay ho. :laughing:
My least favourite weather is fog because you don’t recognise the most familiar roads.
It could be worse I suppose 7.5tonners are such fun in the wind when they are empty! :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

yes it’s been a white knuckle ride these last few days hasn’t it.
you think to yourself ,thank god now there’s some embankment either
side :laughing:

the m180’s bad in north lincs because the lands so flat,leaving the road
exposed

serious question though,has a stationary truck ever been blown over?

I went up to Newcastle yesterday in a 40 foot ragsider. I was a bit nervous before I set off but I just kept the speed down to about 50mph and held on tight. I seem to have survived…

Paul

in feb 98 i was driving a daf 45 24’ curtainsider when we had gusts up to 90 :open_mouth:
never 2 wheeled a wagon before :blush:
have never been so scared in all my life

I 've just got back in. The run up from colsterworth (A1/A151) was pretty windy but ok aws long as I kept speed down to 50.
But between thew end of the A1M doncaster north and the M62 there were 3 trucks on there sides against the central resevation. 2 of them within 1/4 mile of each other. Funny how no cars passed me between them and the M62 junction :smiling_imp:
Another truck on its side west of castleford on the M62.

I thought at times last night i was going over, certainly getting a bit sea sick :grimacing:

sidan:

The answer is Yes.
I was heading for home from Carnforth this morning. Up over Shap, Northbound, there where two wagons over against the central reserve and I saw five wagons over and one being propped up by another on the Southbound side. Those five where all within about 500 yds (or metres, whichever you prefer).
Anyway, the M6 north was closed for a spell, till the Police managed to drag the rigs round enough to let us past (or maybe they where waiting for the wind to die down■■?). I pulled into Tebay services, as I hit the end of the que by the slip road. One of Martin Olivers was on its side, with the rear end of the trailer propped off the ground by a Willi Betz trailer. It seems that the Olivers driver had stopped there for the night. This morning, he got up for a coffee and a run-out. While he was in the building his rig blew over. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
I bet he was pleased he hadn’t been in it when it went :laughing: :laughing: .

A chap has started at our place this week he’s a good bloke but a total newbie and on friday he was sent to Ramsbottom solo to pick up an empty trailer as far as I am concerned it was a bit of a baptism of fire given the conditions. Solo can be quite an experience in high winds I hope he did ok he told me that his wife had said before he left . “They won’t send you out in this.” :open_mouth:
It gets much easier after the first winter, there aren’t quite as many suprises. :wink:

You see a lot of curtainsiders driving in the wind with curtains tied back so the wind wont affect you so much :exclamation:

Be very careful doing this, as you will find the roof will not be there next time you look :blush: It is the same with slider roofs.

If you are not sure park up for an hour, because it takes longer than that to clear the roads after your lorry has fallen over :stuck_out_tongue: